The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2017, 01:16 PM   #1
Jayman931

New radiator time...what else would you recommend?

Howdy everyone. I ordered some parts for Fiddler. Tomorrow she'll have new shocks (Belltek Street Performers) and new springs. I am getting everything together for a radiator replacement next week and had a few questions.

I also ordered a aluminum radiator off of ebay. I was wondering what else everyone recommends replacing while the radiator is out. Thermostat? Belts? Shroud? etc I have never replaced a radiator so I didn't know if there were anythings that would be easily replaced while i'm in there.

Is there any advantage for using silicon radiator hoses other than they look pretty?

I probably shouldn't assume that the stock shroud will work with the new radiator but the new radiator is a direct fit replacement and I am using the old brackets.

Thanks for any and all help/advice

J
Old 03-29-2017, 01:38 PM   #2
MySons68C20

Re: New radiator time...what else would you recommend?

I agree with changing out the belts, hoses, thermostat and possibly the pump? A good flush of the block to get the internals as clean as possible is a good idea while you are at it. I don't know about silicone hoses.....the rubber ones last a long time in everything I own. A 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water and you should be good to go. One thing about the aluminum radiators they flow a lot better and if you don't keep the cap on you'll have a big gush of coolant spewing out the filler neck once the stat opens. Ask me how I know
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:22 PM   #3
SeniorVerde

Thermostat, hoses, maybe even the water pump since it's accessible, as already mentioned.

When I went with an aluminum radiator, I added a "sacrificial anode" (google it). Hot coolant loves to eat at aluminum, especially where dissimilar metals meet. Adding an aluminum radiator obviously puts your coolant in much more contact with something to corrode.
You can get anodes that hang inside from the radiator cap, or some that replace an unused port or drain plug. The anode is made of zinc or something and it's meant to attract the corrosion away from the aluminum. They have to be replaced every so often, but if it means I have to replace a radiator less, easy choice.
Certainly up to you, but I've got them in the cars I care about.
SeniorVerde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:27 PM   #4
joeydurango

I used an aluminum Griffin radiator in my last truck. Leaked after 8 months.

I've put a Summit reproduction "factory-correct" radiator in my current K10. One year in, zero issues and it looks original. Was way cheaper than the Griffin too!

How's your heater core? As long as you've got the cooling system apart, if you're uncertain on that thing, I'd replace it. They seem to fail with regularity.
1976 Trans Am | 455/4-spd | TOTALED
joeydurango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:31 PM   #5
MySons68C20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorVerde View Post
Thermostat, hoses, maybe even the water pump since it's accessible, as already mentioned.

When I went with an aluminum radiator, I added a "sacrificial anode" (google it). Hot coolant loves to eat at aluminum, especially where dissimilar metals meet. Adding an aluminum radiator obviously puts your coolant in much more contact with something to corrode.
You can get anodes that hang inside from the radiator cap, or some that replace an unused port or drain plug. The anode is made of zinc or something and it's meant to attract the corrosion away from the aluminum. They have to be replaced every so often, but if it means I have to replace a radiator less, easy choice.
I did the same as Senior suggested.....super cheap insurance! My 5th wheel alum hot water tank has an anode as part of the drain plug and it is toast after 5 years. The anode I bought was in place of the petcock.
MySons68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:37 PM   #6
davepl

Whatever you do just make sure the shroud is installed, seals well, and the fan is about halfway into the shroud. Makes a HUGE difference in low speed cooling.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:24 PM   #7
Jayman931

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Whatever you do just make sure the shroud is installed, seals well, and the fan is about halfway into the shroud. Makes a HUGE difference in low speed cooling.
I was planning on reusing the stock shroud or would it be in my best interest to replace it.
Old 03-29-2017, 05:25 PM   #8
Jayman931

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorVerde View Post

Thanks for the tip! That sounds like a wise thing to do!
Old 03-29-2017, 05:26 PM   #9
Jayman931

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydurango View Post

How's your heater core? As long as you've got the cooling system apart, if you're uncertain on that thing, I'd replace it. They seem to fail with regularity.
Hmmmm....I replaced a heater core about 10 years ago...but am not sure if that was my jeep or my chevy
Old 03-29-2017, 07:19 PM   #10
scampr

Before you go with the new radiator you might check around and see if you have a good radiator shop around and get yours recored. I had mine done and had the 2 core replaced to a 3 core for $300... It was a odl school guy and he did a great job even though he felt bad for getting so much money. I didnt hesitate at all for it
scampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:58 PM   #11
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydurango View Post
I used an aluminum Griffin radiator in my last truck. Leaked after 8 months.

I've put a Summit reproduction "factory-correct" radiator in my current K10. One year in, zero issues and it looks original. Was way cheaper than the Griffin too!

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...del/c10-pickup

Is this the rad from Summit you installed? My truck is a 35/350 with factory A/C and a 3 core rad. Does your truck have A/C ?

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:00 PM   #12
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

How many miles on the engine? If you're going to do the water pump, you're almost to the timing chain. This would be a good time to change it if you have a lot of miles on it.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:54 PM   #13
Jayman931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
How many miles on the engine? If you're going to do the water pump, you're almost to the timing chain. This would be a good time to change it if you have a lot of miles on it.
Its tempting....but where do I draw the line...hmmmmm
Old 04-03-2017, 09:24 PM   #14
dmjlambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayman931 View Post
...I was wondering what else everyone recommends replacing while the radiator is out. Thermostat? Belts? Shroud? etc I have never replaced a radiator so I didn't know if there were anythings that would be easily replaced while i'm in there.....
My battery tray was rusted through and in bad shape. If your battery tray needs replaced, now is the time to do it when the radiator is out. Some of the bolts are not accessible with the radiator in. Another good thing to do at the same time is add a coolant overflow tank.
dmjlambert is online now   Reply With Quote