The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2006, 10:28 PM   #1
Nobody_u_know

Tranny ??'s

New into this sorta, Transmissions surely not my thing. Have a 62 with original 4 speed granny box. Get tired of leaving in 2nd never ever use that granny. Original 327 being built up a little and was just wondering if anyone had a good sugestion for an EASY transmission low budget swap. I did the search and saw some options but so many answers made it hard for someone who dosent know trannys to follow. Would like to keep it as a stick but dont want a granny box and would be awsome if anyone knows how to make it into a straight throw shift. Also not really a 1/4 mile truck but got any ideas what rearend I can pick up from a locall junk yard that would give me some quick get up and go along with dependable to match the tranny?

Thanks again I know how frustrating slow people are
Nobody_u_know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:51 PM   #2
jgrh64
Prestige member Old Farts Club

Re: Tranny ??'s

I'm going to be using a saginaw 4 spd from a 1980 camaro that I picked up cheap at a swap meet . It uses a unique mounting shifter but as long as you don't trash on it it should work fine. Hurst might still carry an inline shifter - not sure.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:42 PM   #3
Nobody_u_know

I found the inline shifter. Hurst does make one called the V-gate so thanx for the input and I will check into the tranny swap. Do you know if that 80 camaro tranny will require any driveline mods or anything special to make it fit?

Last edited by Nobody_u_know; 06-08-2006 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:02 PM   #4
javanaut

I'm definitely interested in this upgrade, too. Not to hijack your thread, but I'm looking for a 5-speed manual trans with a floor shifter on it. It was suggested that maybe a 5-speed from an S10 might work. Anyone have experience with this upgrade?
javanaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 07:44 PM   #5
jgrh64

camaro shifter for this series is mounted towards back of trans on tailshaft hopefully will clear seat or I will modify shift handle, If you have the shorter massive trans (sm-420) you will have to find the driveshaft they used with the three speed trans or shorten yours .I have the one piece shaft for this from original owner as he had installed the SM-420, not sure of torque ratings for S-10 trans it would survive behind a 6 or mild 8 without trashing on it. Some people are using the New venture 5 speed from full size trucks but I don't know if you can fast shift them or if they are just slow truck trannies.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:17 AM   #6
Nobody_u_know

I am looking for a tranny without driveline mods and dramatic crossmember mods. Something close from a junk yard. Mainly just without the Granny gear in it. 4 or 5 speed not a big deal for me. Its an around town truck only just dont wanna avoid granny gear any more.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:13 PM   #7
jgrh64

If you have the shorter massive trans you won't find anything the same length. the saginaw 4 speed is same length as the factory 3 speed on the tree, mine does not have a special crossmember, 3 speed trans hung out in the air -mounts were on the bellhousing. normal saginaws and muncies have shifter on side of trans thats why mine was so cheap because of rear mount shifter.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:29 PM   #8
Chevrolet4x4s

What about a 6-speed out of a latemodel F-body(Camaro,Trans-Am,Firebird)?
Would this work in a pickup?
Shane

1985 K10 Silverado Vortec 406 5 speed (in body shop)
"I been drivin' this '85 pickup truck Them buddies of mine call it a bucket of rust She's a little beat up but she still runs like the wind Yeah, kinda like me I been banged and bruisedBeen around the block a time or two But I'm runnin' like new goin' places I never been
No, I ain't broke I'm just broken in"
1963 Dodge Townwagon(its amazng what 30 years and zero miles will do to a vehicle )
Member#20327
Chevrolet4x4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:02 PM   #9
jgrh64

not sure , some of these needed a special bellhousing because the trans was on a angle but I don't know which ones.Most people run an auto because it's easier but I want the fun factor since this is a toy not a daily driver.