The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
harnalien
TruckincrazY

Maf/iat?

Ok, so i got my harness and started reading the instructions to find out if i'm missing any sensors and it looks like i'm missing some pretty important ones. it looks like i don't have the maf sensor or iat. i'm pretty sure the maf is the part that traditionally goes by the factory airbox (which i don't have). what i can't find is info on where the intake air temperature sensor (IAT) goes. man, it seems like it's always something that sets me back another few hundred bucks and stops me from being able to move forward . anyway, i posted a pic of what i have and was hoping someone could confirm some things. also, if someone could post a pic of their IAT and how it's mounted, that would be great. Can pic 1 be plugged (if so with what), or does something go there. I believe pic 2 is where the EGR went. Where does the other end of the hose on pic 3 go to? Thanks for any responses i can get.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2011, 11:04 PM   #2
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

Re: Maf/iat?

Hole 1 is for your EVAP solenoid and hole 2 is EGR. Should be able to plug both, use a freeze plug for the EGR and a pipe thread plug for the EVAP. Or you can get the correct block off for the EGR, someone should chime in with part number for that. IAT sensor is in the MAF which you can find on car-part.com

EDIT: and 3 goes to the valve cover.

You can see the EGR block off here

Oh and the missing stuff just seems to be part of the GEN III swap. So far I've had to track down a TAC, oil cooler block off and still looking for a trans dip stick. fun fun!

LSx Swap FAQ index

Last edited by usmcchevy; 02-24-2011 at 11:13 PM.
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:08 PM   #3
hayhauler71

iat is part of the maf
1 can be plugged [canister purge solinoid]
2 egr [ some had some did not ]
3 vent tube right side valvecover

hope this helps you out
Old 02-24-2011, 11:32 PM   #4
harnalien
TruckincrazY

Awesome, thanks guys. I tried searching on car part, but can't exactly figure out what part to search for. I searched for the MAF part number the harness instructions gave me and it said $290 bucks! Surely I can get an airbox and tubing with the sensors for better than that at a salvage yard, right? Ok, I had already ordered the EGR block off plate, but wanted to make sure I was getting the right thing.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:35 PM   #5
skoffice

Depending on how the harness is set up and what year it was for, the IAT can also be a seperate sensor from the MAF. In the later years they combined the two into the single 5 wire MAF. If they are two seperate connectors, then you would need an early 3 wire MAF sensor and a little 2 wire IAT sensor that you just drill into your intake tubing and plug in.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:57 PM   #6
harnalien
TruckincrazY

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoffice View Post
Depending on how the harness is set up and what year it was for, the IAT can also be a seperate sensor from the MAF. In the later years they combined the two into the single 5 wire MAF. If they are two seperate connectors, then you would need an early 3 wire MAF sensor and a little 2 wire IAT sensor that you just drill into your intake tubing and plug in.
You know what, I just check my harness, and the plug I suspected to be the one for the MAF has 5 pins/connections. The photo of the harness in the instruction shows there is a separate IAT plug, but I cannot find it on my harness. So i think my harness is set up for the 5 pin w/ the integrated IAT. So I guess I'll start calling some yards to check on pricing. Thanks all!
Old 02-25-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

you can tune in Speed Density and delete the MAF if you'd like.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:16 PM   #8
Big Port Jimmy 6
Addicted to Rust

There is a delete plate for the egr hole. My intake has one, I will try to remember to snag a pic, Jay
87 GMC CCSB 5.3 4l60E Daily Driver

ECTA National record holder XO/PP

We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public.
Big Port Jimmy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
Groyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcchevy View Post
Hole 1 is for your EVAP solenoid and hole 2 is EGR. Should be able to plug both, use a freeze plug for the EGR and a pipe thread plug for the EVAP. Or you can get the correct block off for the EGR, someone should chime in with part number for that. IAT sensor is in the MAF which you can find on car-part.com

EDIT: and 3 goes to the valve cover.

You can see the EGR block off here

Oh and the missing stuff just seems to be part of the GEN III swap. So far I've had to track down a TAC, oil cooler block off and still looking for a trans dip stick. fun fun!
Did you delete the MAF? I'm looking to get an air filter and I think I need an elbow like you've got in this pic? Part # would be helpful if you've got it.

Thanks
Matt
1971 2WD Blazer - Sold
Groyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #10
usmcchevy
Has more rust than truck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groyd View Post
Did you delete the MAF? I'm looking to get an air filter and I think I need an elbow like you've got in this pic? Part # would be helpful if you've got it.

Thanks
Matt
No the MAF is still there, if you look right next to the air filter there is a label with a number on it, thats the MAF. That pic is of my old '00 Silverado, not a swap truck, but here is a link to the kit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KNN-77-3021KP/

In my swap truck I used a cheap ebay intake like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-07-Silver...=auc43aa36e2e0

Slight note, if your MAF is from a 07+ truck it will be smaller and require a little work to make it fit.

LSx Swap FAQ index
usmcchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:27 PM   #11
Robznob11

you can get an rubber oil plug that works just like the rubber freeze plug that will plug 1 where the purge valve went. thats what i did. I think its 1/2 in
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote