The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-18-2016, 04:19 PM   #1
richlaw1

Remote door locks for 55/56/57 truck

Does anyone know of an aftermarket kit for remote door locks for 55 second series? There are some on the market for the tri-five coupes but I cannot find for the trucks. Door handles are NOT shaved
richlaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 07:08 PM   #2
Speedbumpauto

Re: Remote door locks for 55/56/57 truck

It's a long, slippery slope with no jump at the end. Truck locks and interior opening and locking mechanisms have ZERO connection to the key lock on the outside handles. I modified a set to work with a bear claw kit but, as of yet, they don't work as well as I want and if you lose power with them engaged, using the key on the outside WILL NOT get you in the truck. I have devised a mechanical hidden safety like the guys with shaved handles have but have not installed it. Considering all the time I have invested, I think I should have stayed with the KISS system of installing a key lock on the pass door(which I did) and let it go at that.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 01:19 AM   #3
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlaw1 View Post
Does anyone know of an aftermarket kit for remote door locks for 55 second series? There are some on the market for the tri-five coupes but I cannot find for the trucks. Door handles are NOT shaved
I also kept mine simple using the stock door locking mechanisms, but I'd suggest you call summit racing. Talk to their technical service group. they are good at helping.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 04:01 PM   #4
_Ogre

55-59 trucks lock by moving the handle forward, no kits available, it would be a one off system
i can't see it being too hard to connect an actuator with some bicycle cable to work the mechanism
there is not much room to mount hardware inside these doors (lots of room, just not where needed)
definitely would need a safety release as the only way in, in case of failure, would be through a broken window

we all enjoy the updated features on our daily drivers, no reason not to have them on old trucks
i have shaved doors, so keyless entry is a must

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote