The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2014, 06:07 PM   #1
opc patrick

what is required of a switch to the 5.3?

Ok… this may be a silly question but I am new to all this… Basically forcing myself to lean something new. I am working on a 1950 suburban. My goal was to build something I could cruse in with the family and still look cool and original-ish. When I bought it, it had a running and driving 350 in it from a junk yard. I purchased another frame and I am building it up with a mustang II and new TCI rear springs. I also have a blazer rear axle with disk brakes. So now I am questioning putting an 5.3 liter vortec and 4L60E transmission in it.

Question, if I go this route does that require me to get an aftermarket speedo? I am trying to figure out what all that engine change would require down the road besides just the pressurized fuel system.
opc patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:15 PM   #2
Indian113

Re: what is required of a switch to the 5.3?

You might have better luck asking this in the LS section! I got a lot of help when I put my 5.3 in my S10 from them, there's some pretty smart guy's there for help. You will need a electronic speedo or a adapter that will go from electronic to cable if they make such a thing. I love my 5.3 so go for it.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:35 PM   #3
Angryman117

Lots of info in the LS Swap section. But for starts you will need a complete engine harness and ECU. If you have a DBW (drive by wire) setup you will need the tac module and matching gas pedal out of the donor vehicle.
Angryman117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #4
Aaronoregon

Just got done with one into a '46. They are actually one of the best, easy mods you can do for the money. Very readily available in junk yards now days. My daily driver is a 2001 Silverado with a 5.3 and I just turned 232,000 miles with no issues so far. Doesn't burn any oil and has great oil pressure. Like said above, you want to buy it complete! Everything! Motor, accessories, harness, ecm, etc. I have been getting them with the 4L60E attached complete for $1500-1800. You will have to redo the fuel system. I have been throwing a Walbro tank in the tank and running a corvette regulator and a Racetronix harness. Just to upgrade the fuel system to run the injection will cost about $300 or so. You will also need to get the ecm reprogrammed to delete Vats and rear o2 sensors. Not a big deal at all. These engines will get you great reliability and average about 20-22 on the highway. Good luck!
Aaronoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:41 AM   #5
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

I moved this for ya into the LSx section, although you'll probably find all your answers by just browsing this area.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #6
littlevictories

just completed this swap in my '66, a bit harder than your average sbc swap, but well worth it in the end.
littlevictories is offline   Reply With Quote