The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
ridingreiss16

Question LS ENGINE SWAP

I have a 84 GMC C1500, need some help. Im stuck between rebuilding the sbc 350 in it with aluminum heads, cam, intake, new carb and lots of machine work, or doing a LS swap? Trying to stay in a decent budget, but run good amount of hp with decent gas mileage. I've read LS's putting 600hp with 20mpg which is great for me, only looking to run around 425-450hp for a every day truck back and fourth to high school. What should I do? Thanks!
ridingreiss16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
dman1982

Re: Need advice: LS ENGINE SWAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridingreiss16 View Post
I have a 84 GMC C1500, need some help. Im stuck between rebuilding the sbc 350 in it with aluminum heads, cam, intake, new carb and lots of machine work, or doing a LS swap? Trying to stay in a decent budget, but run good amount of hp with decent gas mileage. I've read LS's putting 600hp with 20mpg which is great for me, only looking to run around 425-450hp for a every day truck back and fourth to high school. What should I do? Thanks!
Ls swap hands down...not all the way done with mine and so happy with power and gear swap!!!
2001-Present

84 K10
2000 trans am ws6
2011 nissan altima
2009 Troy Built with a 42 Inch Deck

My LS Swap http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6559371
dman1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #3
ridingreiss16

Re: Need advice: LS ENGINE SWAP

Where is a good place to get one? My buddy was telling me get one from a junkyard. Do you know what a LS1 would run with a wiring harness etc? And also do the motors bolt right up to the tranny or get a transmission with the motor also? Just trying to figure out what I am going to do. Thank you for your response!
Old 04-13-2014, 10:03 PM   #4
ridingreiss16

Re: LS ENGINE SWAP

That's what I have been trying to figure out, how do you start a new thread so I don't comment on somebody's else's? Thanks!
Old 04-13-2014, 10:16 PM   #5
dman1982

Quote:
That's what I have been trying to figure out, how do you start a new thread so I don't comment on somebody's else's? Thanks!
Look at my build man, I'm a novice to all this, but mines going to be cruising soon
2001-Present

84 K10
2000 trans am ws6
2011 nissan altima
2009 Troy Built with a 42 Inch Deck

My LS Swap http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6559371
dman1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:11 AM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
The big post new thread button

You really should take a look at the builds section up top, and the FAQ in the stickies. There are a number of builds that are very detailed from start to finish, with pictures, part numbers etc. The FAQ should have links to the solutions to common things like Fuel Systems, parts lists and costs etc. There is a huuuuuge amount of information in those areas, which should get you everything you need to decide if its right for you.

It will cost more than a sbc swap, but a stock ls truck motor comes in around 305 (or more, depending which one you get). It does so easily, and more efficiently than a mild-built sbc.

Since I heard the words "high school", I'll pose another figure. If you plan on keeping the truck as both a fun car and a daily, the LS motor is the way to go if you can afford it (make sure you can actually afford it, NOT just scrape together the minimum for a junkyard swap, or your project won't ever get done). Between the extra mpg, the tame street manners and the ease of starting in any weather, its much much much easier to swing as a daily than a carbed sbc. The first time its 40* and rainy, and the sbc is running too rich or is stuck on high idle....you'll WISH you went LS.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote