The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-30-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I'm afraid of project stagnation...

Here's the status: I took the body of the frame beginning of May for the first time ever. Chassis is sandblasted and painted. Engine is 95% back together. I just put the replacement cab back on the frame. I know I have some more mechanical things to take care of, that is not an issue. The cab needs a bit more body work. A cab corner needs to be welded in, patch the gas filler hole, smooth some dents, etc.

My problem is that I'm kind of stuck on what to do next. The body work mentioned above is the obvious stuff, but then what? I am doing a color change on the truck. Once the corner and filler patch are welded in, do I just sand and prep the interior, get the firewall, interior, door jams, window openings, etc. painted, then start re-assembly of the interior, glass, etc, then do the doors and rest of the body?

Or do I just do all the body work, get it primed, then work on the doors and get them primed, then the fenders, etc... and do all the rest of the re-assembly after all of it is taken apart again, painted and put back together?

It's kind of the step I've been dreading all along because that's a new frontier for me. I've never been at this point in a build before because I've never had a car or truck painted before. Heck, taking the cab off was a first for me and I'm glad I did it. It wasn't hard at all and made working on the chassis a breeze.

Any input will be appreciated. I just don't want to be taking 3 steps forward and two steps back for the next several months. I need a plan and have no experience from this point forward.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote