The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
n8r67

86 k30 hub wont stay unlocked anyone run into this???

Hey guys ive got myself a 86 k30 military chevy.. Having an issue with my drivers side hub on the dana 60. When I unlock them. Soon as I go down the road the drivers side will engage itself half way and stay locked. It doesnt want to stay unlocked. The carrier Is welded so this could potentially be very destructive If the pass side decided to lock also at 65mph! Just wondering if anyone has had this problem. Its freezing cold here in PA and with 10" and 38s the truck doesnt fit in the garage right now lol. Trying to spend as little time in the cold diagnosising as possible.
n8r67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: 86 k30 hub wont stay unlocked anyone run into this???

Which hubs are on it?

IMHO, a welded carrier in the front end is a problem that needs to be addressed anyway. Having one in the back is hard enough to deal with, the front is worse. Everything is in a constant state of bind and the front wants to go straight even with the wheels turned.

The only guys I have ever seen use a spool in the front "successfully" are in competition pulling trucks. Even they use a lock-out hub on one side and unlock it before driving back to the pit area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 12-31-2013 at 07:23 PM.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
n8r67

The hubs are factory. I am completely aware of the hazards and driving characteristics of the welded front carrier. I definately would not reccomend it to anyone either. However I am an avid offroad and rock crawling driver so its not quite so bad for me.. Thats why im concerned with the hub locking up tho because i do understand what could happen.. The 4x4 is only used in extreme road conditions and off road. I understand how all the componets work and react with each other. I was really just hoping someone could say they had this problem and it was a clip or spring or something. Gonna have to do the research and repair in thecold weather so if I got an idea going into it then I can avoid frostbite maybe lol.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:24 AM   #4
obijuan

Switch em side to side, see if you got a worn out cap. Sometimes the 35 spline stubs rub the inside of the lockout and turn the knob but never heard of 30s doing it. Imo the stock Spicer lockouts are much better than the warn style you have. sell those warn popalocks and give them a shot?

Last edited by obijuan; 01-01-2014 at 10:25 AM.
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #5
Unca

are the bearing's inside ok? the small diameter roller cage bearing ( needle spindle bearing) would be my initial suspect. the "the locking hub" is doing its job per say. what is making it move it the problem. Im an old rock crawler trail runner myself... a welded front is 650 bucks cheaper then a Detroit...lol and easier to replace when ones foot gets a little heavy.

a link for study I hope it doesn't violate any rules.. beware noob questions on that particular bulletin board will get one chewed out. ..faq's are important as is the search bar

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/60_front/
Unca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #6
jhama78

Definitely check the bearings in the spindle, Ive seen the stub shaft barely rub on the back of the hub dial and engage the driver side hub while driving.

'06 3500 LWB CC 4wd, 8.1 Allison
jhama78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:10 PM   #7
n8r67

Thanks guys. Good point with the spindle bearings. Ill be sure and check them too. Noticed today when you lock and unlock it. The dial doesnt seem to engage the hub right away. I suspect its worn or not aligned properly. Gonna maybe try and get to it if the weather is decent this weekend. Ill let you know how it turns out
Old 01-02-2014, 12:56 PM   #8
esbstuff

I had this very same thing happen on my 87. I went round and round with mine for 6 months. The lockout would engage backing up... Unlock it, back up 5 ft and it would be locked again. One of the plastic tits on the inside of the lockout is missing. The only way to fix it is to replace the lockout.

Last edited by esbstuff; 01-02-2014 at 01:01 PM.
esbstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:29 PM   #9
crashz

I had it happen with set of Warn standard hubs. The plastic cam piece wore so loose that it would turn in cold weather (cold grease). Threw a set of Warn Premiums on and solved the problem. This was on a K25 with the 10 bolt front axle.
crashz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:38 PM   #10
n8r67

Got her fixed up today. The hub that kept turning back when I unlocked them was the drivers side. Problem actually turned out to be the pass side hub. It was dry and sticking so would never actually unlock. With the carrier being welded the drivers side axle was also stuck constantly turning. at some point it threw the c-clip off the drivers side axle. The loose clip was catching the lockout and spinning it. Luckily it didnt catch enuf to lock it in. Im sure that would have been a lil painful at 65mph. Just thought id share so maybe my $.02 could help someone else
Thanks
N8