The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-12-2015, 08:45 PM   #1
special-K
Special Order

So Long Jimmy Diesel

Well, this is the final thread I'll post on my '85 Jimmy. It's gone and I've been wanting to post this for a while. I actually sold it the end of April. I have planned to sell it since last summer when my work truck gave up the ghost, but kept needing it till I found a replacement work vehicle. I found something in December just as winter set in, so the Jimmy was parked till spring. I had a guy in either direction on my road who were wanting it. So, I fired it up in spring, drove it around some, and spruced it up. I decided to run it to Spring Carlisle and put a sign on it to see what happened.

Me and my buddy who I share spots with have made friends over the years with two guys from NH who set up down the row. Well, this year they brought another guy and they were saying he wanted to buy my Jimmy. He had the money in a fund he had to move, said it would take a couple weeks. My buddy said we would bring it up later on his trailer. I took the sign off on his word... no deposit taken, nada. I didn't get too excited. I knew even if he flaked out I had people who wanted it. But, I was at Carlisle where people with cash are ready to buy! Anyway, it all worked out, he sent the money in about a week. Once I got the money I put the factory top back on so it could be transported. I still had it registered and insured, but once the soft top was off I didn't feel like driving it any more. One thing or another and the Jimmy sat here all summer till a few weeks ago. The buyer and one of the other fellas flew down, I picked them up, gave a short tour of Maryland countryside to my place, grilled up some tasty local burger and Silver Queen, and they headed off for NH into the sunset (NH is north but you have to travel west to get to the N-S interstate...ok?). They made it fine the next day. I'll get the whole story next spring.
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:57 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: So Long Jimmy Diesel

So, I'm going to kill you all with pictures now. This is an ode to Jimmy Diesel. Those pictures were switching the top. Here it was at Carlisle on the spaces and on the way out
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 09-12-2015, 09:07 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Pictures after I put the top back on and took a spin
Attached Images

Tim

Old 09-12-2015, 09:08 PM   #4
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

You know I hate you sold that truck, I'll miss updates on it. I did get a kick out of seeing those tires near bald just because I know you drove it and used it like it was meant to be.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:15 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

These were right before I took the soft top off
Attached Images

Tim

Old 09-12-2015, 09:26 PM   #6
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

I really like that top, I've about made up my mind to put the same one on mine.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
74 Honda Z50 build
Old 09-13-2015, 07:47 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUISER View Post
You know I hate you sold that truck, I'll miss updates on it. I did get a kick out of seeing those tires near bald just because I know you drove it and used it like it was meant to be.
I hate it, too. It was a hard decision. That thing was great to me. I was ready to buy tires if I kept it. It got to where I didn't want to drive it on those old things. It would be so nice with new tires. I was concerned about running up to Carlisle (1hr 20min) in it (loaded up,too). I told the guy I would have driven it up and found a way back, but not on those tires. If he ordered some and shipped to me I would have run it right up. But, he didn't listen and it came down to him running it all the way up there with cross your fingers tires. They made it!
Quote:
I really like that top, I've about made up my mind to put the same one on mine.
I had that top in mind before I even bought it. And when I put the factory top back on, after almost 5 years with the soft top, it was not the same... boring. That top made that Jimmy. I had big plans for it, but was happy just as it was. I had 1t axles, roll bar (then build cage from that), nice dash pad, factory am/fm/cd, and other stuff. And, planned to build bumpers and tire carrier and get a winch. I had a 4L80E/NP241 to put in and quarter panels, but sold that when I knew the Jimmy was going. I really didn't want it to go to someone local where I'd have to keep seeing it.

Here it is just as I bought it (except for the full-length running boards)

Then I popped some hubcaps on it

The plan originally was to put 32/11.50s on 8" wheels with no lift or maybe 2". But it seems that size was being phased out. So, I decided to use the 3/4t stuff off the '91 Suburban I had. I had a set of steelies powder coated and ready to go

The '91 Suburban. This was an earlier picture. It had been hit in the left quarter, then finally right front smashed by some joker who doesn't know red means wait for green

Tim

Old 09-13-2015, 08:03 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Here's a short clip of it I didn't mean to take. I was taking pictures down along the Potomac River and didn't realize the camera was on video mode. Couldn't figure out why camera wouldn't "click"

vvv CLICK IT vvv
<<< CLICK IT<<<
^^^ CLICK IT ^^^

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 10-28-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-13-2015, 10:28 PM   #9
Willowrun

I always liked your Jimmy. Bummer you sold it but you can't keep them all.
I'm trying to recall what tires/lift you had on it....mind refreshing my memory?
Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:29 PM   #10
84GMC15tepside

I checked out your Jimmy at Carlisle, really cool truck... I think I bought something off you 2 years ago.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:47 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowrun View Post
I always liked your Jimmy. Bummer you sold it but you can't keep them all.
I'm trying to recall what tires/lift you had on it....mind refreshing my memory?
It had 315/75-16s, 10" d-hole steel wheels, and Tuff Country Ez-Ride 4" springs. That was one to keep for the long term collection, if circumstances were different. What a perfect hop in and get away vehicle. It even got got fuel economy. If I had bought tires I would not have been able to let it go. I didn't dell it because it needed tires, but I was so back and forth on selling it wouldn't take much to tilt the scale vear to "keep".
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84GMC15tepside View Post
I checked out your Jimmy at Carlisle, really cool truck... I think I bought something off you 2 years ago.
Thanks. I never saw another tan on tan Blazer or Jimmy like it. I bought it as close as the nearest gas station to my house...from a farm up by the crossroad. I've lived here since '86, so had seen it around over the years. Saw it once at my buddies car shop and noticed it was a diesel. Back in the 80s-90s there weren't so many diesels and I was into them. I had 6.2 trucks since the '80s and was keyed-in on looking for the badges.

Here are a couple videos I did just running up the hiway. I was headed up home to my mom's Thanksgiving morning. That thing loved the hiway. A great off road/hiway rig and a big classic 4wd that got modern fuel economy. The best of all worlds. If I lived where winter driving (salt) wouldn't ruin it, I would have kept it as my year 'round driver. I have to have a good work truck and anything else comes second.

These are boring, but I wanted to record what it was like driving it and catch some Western Maryland scenery. I'm glad I did now that it's gone.
This one is climbing up into Garrett County

Here is a picture I took that day on my way home. i hate to have to run up there just to come back the same day, so I took some back roads while it was still light to prolong the feel of the mountains.

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 09-15-2015 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:09 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

I said I was going to kill you with pictures. I meant this thread is where I am going to put every picture I can find of it. My memories/stories will likely keep coming through, too.
here's one from that day when I accidentally did some video. This is along the Potomac River at a boat landing (Lander Rd) near Jefferson, MD. The C&O canal is a great place to hike or bike, then there's the river

Lock House:

Tim

Old 09-15-2015, 07:18 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

Here is the interior from when I first bought it. This thing was bone stock.

Here are some axle swap pictures:

Tim

Old 09-15-2015, 07:25 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

Pictures from when the lift was first put on. Just like after the soft top came off, I only drove it once with the factory top on. I only drove it from the seller's house to home with stock axles and suspension.

Tim

Old 09-16-2015, 07:54 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

Ha! That picture with the lift and tires done on front and not the rear is a familiar sight. Right nw out in my driveway sits my '72 the same way...except no tires mounted yet. Hopefully, tonight I can start on the rear (if I make it home early enough).

Here are some before and after shots of the fender flares. I really didn't want to add anything aftermarket to this body. But the tires stuck out, these flares give a retro look, and I will admit they were a cheezy cheap way to mostly cover up the rust on the rear arches. The body wasn't that bad and I wanted to keep it original paint as long as the rust stayed the same...which it did. I ended up with two sets of quarters for this thing. Both cases were people walking up to talk about the Jimmy. Both times the guy used to have a Blazer and they still had the quarters. The first time I was in the drive-threw at Chic-fil-a. He sold me N.O.S. quarters for $50 for both!!:

Scuff them up:

Paint factory color with flattening agent in it:

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 09-16-2015 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:51 PM   #16
Willowrun

I can relate with you when you say the 6.2 K5's get great mileage and love the highway as I've had a few M1009's and I still have one for that reason. Other than being a little loud, they are very efficient cruisers.

So what did you end up doing with the rear quarters? I'm assuming you sold them since you seem to go to swap meets, but had to ask. I've had a pass. side hanging on my wall for that some day I may need it (fellow rust belter). It's seen in this pic.
Attached Images

Willowrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 07:21 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

It's true. I did a lot of traveling in the Suburban before the Jimmy and that thing loved the hiway at 75 mph... big 35" tires, 4.10 gears, and 4L80E. Years ago, I had an '84 K30 6.2/TH400 the same set-up with gears and tires. I installed a Gear Vendors and I was all over the place in that thing. almost put the camper on for the trip I took to Grand Canyon, but decided the '71 was going.
My son has an '86 M1009 that has been sitting. The TH400 was just rebuilt. I'm not sure he'll ever do anything with it. I may just end up with that as my next K/5. I like hearing the diesel. Changes the whole experience. "There's a Blazer but it doesn't sound the same". Diesel engines are common, but if you stop to think, they are a completely other beast from what most vehicles run on, yet is a design that has proven itself to run right along with the rest. Very unconventional, is the word, when you are talking K5s. Nobody else put a diesel in a full-size SUV. I like the sound, but in a military Blazer I'm sure it's quite a racket. If I end up with my son's I will do the soundproofing

I did end up selling both pairs. The Jimmy sold at spring Carlisle but sat here over three months. The buyer didn't want those and some other parts I had for it. I had plenty of conversation there on the Jimmy, Jimmys/Blazers in general, and the quarters came up. I had both pair sold before the end of the show. Otherwise, I probably would have listed them here

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 09-17-2015 at 07:26 AM.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:46 AM   #18
OutlawDrifter

thanks for sharing the pics. i understand what it's like to part with a jimmy you love! i've always wanted a diesel squarebody 4x4 rig to camp out of.

being the superstitious cowboy that i am, in that first picture, you have a horseshoe nailed upside down on a post. do me a favor and flip it so it opens up at the top. (this catches all the good luck!)

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:16 PM   #19
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

What an awesome looking Jimmy and neat story with pictures to boot. Always like how clean it was and how great it looked with 3/4 ton running gear and the lift. Thanks for sharing always enjoy seeing K5s and Jimmys some of my favorite rigs!
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 12:28 PM   #20
MalibuSSwagon

I'll have to keep my eyes open, do you know what part of NH?
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 01:36 AM   #21
zaccaglin

I always loved the pictures of your rig with the soft top sides rolled up. Here's to a new adventure down the road man.

1998 Chevrolet C1500 Ext. Cab 350

Former Rig:
1985 Chevrolet K20 Suburban 6.2L Detroit/TH400/NP208
zaccaglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:01 AM   #22
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Tim how does that top do going down the road? Either with the sides up or fully buttoned down, is it fairly quiet, at least as far as soft tops go?

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
74 Honda Z50 build
Old 10-07-2015, 09:02 PM   #23
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawDrifter View Post
thanks for sharing the pics. i understand what it's like to part with a jimmy you love! i've always wanted a diesel squarebody 4x4 rig to camp out of.

being the superstitious cowboy that i am, in that first picture, you have a horseshoe nailed upside down on a post. do me a favor and flip it so it opens up at the top. (this catches all the good luck!)
You know, I did hear that before but I guess I forgot. Now I know why my luck has gone bad. I have an assortment on my little barn and pretty sure those are all the right way. See?

I came up with that one and no room left on the barn, so it went on the post. I have really missed that thing. It stood out without being flashy and came together and for pretty cheap. Just my style! It treated me good, had people talking to me everywhere I went, drove it a few years, and came out ahead. Nothing but good memories with ole Jimmy. He hauled the trailer to work, or swap meets and I'd load the back all the way up. I also put it in a few antique truck shows. Just a great all around vehicle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoods69BadBowTie View Post
What an awesome looking Jimmy and neat story with pictures to boot. Always like how clean it was and how great it looked with 3/4 ton running gear and the lift. Thanks for sharing always enjoy seeing K5s and Jimmys some of my favorite rigs!
I've bought stuff from all over. This was as local as I've ever had. This old feller was cheap (I've heard from others). I drove it home when I bought it. Even took the dirt road for a short cut. The first time I pulled it down by the road to move stuff around in my driveway it died idling.Wouldn't start. It was out of fuel. I only drove it about 5 miles! How much fuel was in there, a quart??
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuSSwagon View Post
I'll have to keep my eyes open, do you know what part of NH?
He lives in New Durham.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaccaglin View Post
I always loved the pictures of your rig with the soft top sides rolled up. Here's to a new adventure down the road man.
I hope to have another adventure machine one day. But you know you can have adventures in anything. But, the right truck just adds another element
Quote:
Tim how does that top do going down the road? Either with the sides up or fully buttoned down, is it fairly quiet, at least as far as soft tops go?
Better than I expected. The top makes no noise in either mode. You can really hear vehicles as they come up on you or passing on the hiway. The rear corners don't look like they seal it up well, but I never had any water come in anywhere. When it's cold out it heats right up inside. Believe it or not, with the sides rolled up it's not even windy. Nothing blew around the cab. I think maybe papers on the passenger seat needed a hat on them or something. That's with the windows down. With windows up and sides down on cool mornings where I left it open I'd blow the heat and was comfortable. I don't recall any back draft or hair blowing around.

Can you see it in this picture? That's at Carlisle Trucks '13

Here's a better shot (sort of). It hauled stuff in the back and the trailer is behind it

I know this is too many pictures, but I warned you! This is at the ATHS Tri-State show in '11. Just went to that show a little less than two weeks ago

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 10-07-2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:23 PM   #24
special-K
Special Order

I had forgotten about this thread till tonight. Here's another shot from the same show. I guess the other one was once I returned to it and the other had pulled out. I kinda like this one better with other older GMs

Tim

Old 10-28-2015, 07:30 AM   #25
special-K
Special Order

I'm back! Here are pictures from when I did the soft top.

Tim