The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1973-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-11-2004, 04:30 PM   #1
botboy
Account Suspended

WTB: cab section near ames IA

Got a rusty bottom cab on a truck you're about to junk? Well here's your chance to make a few bucks off it before you take it to the scrapyard...

I have an '83 K5, and while I love the truck, I hate the fiberglass topper with a passion. Its heavy, annoying, I can't take it off or put it on by myself and I haven't got a place to store it while I'm at school in ames.

So, I want to effectively make the truck into an ultra short-wide bed pickup, and I've already got a deal going with someone on ck5 to get an xtang black vinyl tonneau to put over the back. However, this still leaves for a very very large hole behind the driver and passengers heads when the weather is cold or rainy, and a large hole for snow to come into the truck when its sitting in the parking lot during the winter months.

So, what I want to do is this: get a section from an '80-87 chevy or gmc truck that goes from about halfway up the back of the cab to about 3" forward of the back of the cab. This will destroy the cab (unless you were looking to make a very very saggy convertible) so I'm looking for someone who was going to scrap the truck anyways. I would prefer one with a big window, sliding preferred but no window actually necessary as I have an extra solid big window sitting in the barn at home if need be.

By making one out of a standard truck cab, I hope to accomplish a few goals:
1) no fighting with a soft cover to get it to seal (what do I look like, a jeep driver?)
2) make it look somewhat close to a factory thing
3) seal out the elements
4) make it so I can put it on/take it off at my leisure (unlike the factory top)

Not sure what one of these is worth, but I'm probably willing to pay up to $75 for one with a window. I would prefer to take it off myself if possible, because I have a plasma cutter that would keep the panel from warping bad (as opposed to taking it off with a cutting torch). Can be located anywhere between delano MN and ames IA or a little out of the way, I'll drive to pick it up.

Effectively I want to do what the picture below shows, only with a hard rear cab section and a roll-up tonneau (picture taken from STC's website...include the girl and I'll throw in extra $$$ )
Attached Images

Last edited by botboy; 09-11-2004 at 04:49 PM.
botboy is offline   Reply With Quote