The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2015, 06:46 PM   #1
Hollow65

Inner fenders

Are they necessary? Mine are rusted and I'm thinking of ditching them. I read through some threads but they all got sidetracked and never answered the auestion. Saw some cool builds though. I don't have any ignition or anything mounted to them. Like super73 asked will the front hold up at 130mph without them?
Old 06-14-2015, 08:54 PM   #2
71Dragtruck

Re: Inner fenders

Yes will hold up fine, just be prepared for all the small rocks you will be cleaning out of every nook and cranny.

Getz Oilfield Consulting
Hard Candy Customs
71Dragtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:57 PM   #3
Hollow65

Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping to drop the temps under the hood also.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:21 PM   #4
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I just pulled mine out

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 03:44 AM   #5
68racer
Yeah baby!

Removing the inner fenders can make the cooling worse. The air pressure in the engine compartment is increased so the radiator does not see enough airflow.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:46 AM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I've actually seen that mentioned in a few places, but I'm not sure the jury is exactly out on that. While its true that uncontrolled air under the vehicle can alter the under hood pressure, we'd have to actually know what path that air is taking. Depending on the truck (body, stance/ride height etc), this can vary hugely.

At low speed, this isn't an issue since the fans should be able to direct enough air themselves to cool the heatload. The additional outside air, the free-er movement of the air, and the lack of 34lbs of sheetmetal would improve engine temps and heatsoak under those conditions.

At speed, its possible the additional air coming in from the wheel openings could create pressure (or at least turbulence) causing the natural flow through the front grill opening to be altered. We would have to know the pressure differential and flow to see for sure what was occurring at say 40-100mph. At least from what I've seen of the 40's-70's trucks, there isn't a natural rear exit for the air aside from into the firewall and down, so I'm not sure how effective their air management is to start with.

If there were a positive pressure issue at hand, then you'd probably consider looking to alter the front air dam to move more air out and around instead of under.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:07 AM   #7
Hollow65

I have a 4" cowl hood which I bet lets more air out than it draws in. I'll rip the fender wells off and if it runs hotter I'll put em back. Wouldn't be the first mistake I've made on the truck.
Thanks for the input guys.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:46 PM   #8
Kyle@FTP

If you really want to see how it effects your cooling and airflow, buy some pink ribbon and duct tape at home depot. tape it in 6" strips in strategic locations in the engine compartment and film it with a go pro.

Back when I worked in offroad racing we had some engineers from a indy team come out and do cooling testing with us. When they told me their method I almost crapped myself. So easy and so cheap. Keep it simple. You need the air to move across the radiator the exit the engine bay.

If you are worried about weight then ditch them. If you drive it the 5 days a year SD gets rain then I would leave them in.
Kyle@FTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:58 PM   #9
Hollow65

Driving in the rain is dangerous. I'm not worried about the weather or weight really.