The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-23-2015, 12:14 AM   #1
dustin72

Moser Diff Options

So I spun the diff housing on the axle tubes on the stock 12 bolt last weekend at the track. Looking at replacing with a Moser MusclePak complete rearend setup. I priced out a stock type housing and an M9 fabricated housing, both with back-braces, nodular iron centre section with Daytona pinion support, 1350 billet yoke, and 35 spline axles with spool. It's about $3700 for the standard housing and $3900 for the M9. Pretty pricy. Thats US dollars not including shipping or exchange rate. I would like to replace the reared once and not have to worry about it again but it's a lot of money. Do you think a stock 9" from the junkyard will hold up or should I just get the Moser? Is the M9 that much stronger than the standard housing?
Name:  IMG_2652.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  38.7 KB
Name:  IMG_2654.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  31.1 KB
dustin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:00 AM   #2
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: Moser Diff Options

Man carnage photos always hurt, no mater whos carnage. Your looking at about the same price from Alston, Strange or Moser,,, it's kindof a pick your poison thing. Dont know how much your throwing at it (60' time and weight ???) or if your looking to 'step up' and do a 4link / laddere bar, narrowed suspension... but NOW is the time if you are. If so add new wheels and tires to the cost, and... and... and.

Cheapest way out may be find a new 12bolt housing, have the tubes welded and stuf your guts in it. It's amazing what some guys can get away with. I've got a buddy with a ~3300 pound 70s Nova running high 8s on a 10bolt with welded tubes, a spool and decent axles.... and breaks everything BUT the rear end <shrugs>

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:19 PM   #3
GMR-PERFORMANCE

I have the Moser and love it.. I do not think a fab 9 is needed you can use there std housing it will save you a bit of cash. Life time on the diff warranty with wave unit.
GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:38 PM   #4
Ont67shortbox

do a google search of Bears rear ends ,its in Ontario so no exchange, shipping might still be high though.I got my center section from them for 1600 bucks
Ont67shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:36 PM   #5
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Ohh The unit is a true bolt in. I had zero issues with pinion angle , mounting pan hard bar.. EVERYTHING bolted right back up.

I had had so -so luck with 12 bolts and when you do break them you could have bought the 9 inch. I am running a 35 spline 60 foot is 1.61 125 dead out the hole on a 3600 RPm leave.. I am going over to fogger so it will go up to 300 ( NOS controller so 175 hit then ramp the rest in. Thus far a 150 hit has no issues holding up. I have run a 1.55 60 foot on the 150 hit. but had t brake issues vs shifting. Going over to a t brake for the 4l80e that will work in 3rd gear so no shifting at all. Just release the button..

Good luck
Old 06-24-2015, 12:24 AM   #6
dustin72

Running a 496BB and Th400 with transbrake. Running 1.6x 60ft. and 11.3-11.4 ET's. 3600-4000 rpm launch off the two-step. Guessing around 4200lbs since still has all street accessories (heater, wipers, lights, p. steering, etc.) Also have a 250 hit of nitrous that I have not used yet on this engine. Do you think the current 12 bolt can be repaired if I send it in for straightening and welding? It already has Moser 33 spline axles and a spool with c-clip eliminators. Has held up to probably 10 years of dragstrip passes, many on nitrous. Might go that route to finish off this season.
dustin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:54 AM   #7
GMR-PERFORMANCE

Every part has a cycle life.. This 12 bolt vs 9 inch deal has gone on for ever..

Fact fix it right and dont worry about it. OR Dont & throw more money ad a weaker diff unit ( another fact.. its by design not how makes it)

The parts you have sound like something that will sell fast to the next guy that thinks the 12 bolt is the best diff on the planet.

Racing not cheap , myself hate to do things over and if I waste money that is even more upsetting.

Good luck I am sure you will get someone to come along and pat you on the back so to speak. And tell you how it can be fixed and be stronger than ever and it will last for another 10 years.

I know I come off as a smart azz.. Fact is many of us have already been down this road.

Good luck .. BTW time to swap into some coil overs when you RR that rear end.. Just messing with you.. or am I ??
Old 06-24-2015, 09:13 AM   #8
regan wilson

That happened to me years ago. I didnt have the funds for a new rear either. We put it on a lift corected the pinion angle and rewelded it. It worked fine.