The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2007, 01:11 PM   #1
WinDancer
The Original HotRod KnifeMaker

Painless Wiring Vets- Couple Questions ??

Sat down with my just-delivered new 18 circuit Painless wiring harness this morning.

My truck is a 69 GMC 1/2 ton 2WD.

I have been reading every post here that showed up under a search for wiring. Most say to just follow the instruction EXACTLY and it will be simple.
Um-Hm.

The harness is broken down into four sections as I expected:
Dash
Engine
Rear
Extra door stuff

The first thing I notice is that all the wires are bundled for the first 18 inches. This is obviously meant to stay in place.

1. Is this made so that the dash stuff goes out into the engine well and then back into the cab somehow? Or should I just cut open the factory bundling so I can run the dash wiring up into the dash area inside the cab?

2. The instructions say to route the rear wiring down onto the 'floor pan'. Can't do that without cutting and redoing the factory bundle ties. I was told that our trucks have the rear wiring out into the engine well and then down the firewall and into the frame for the trip to the rear.

So should I just redo the bundle to that the wiring can go the correct direction from the fuse block or am I way too slow to do this myself?

Thanks for your input-

Last edited by WinDancer; 10-14-2007 at 01:35 PM.
WinDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 03:06 PM   #2
WinDancer

Re: Painless Wiring Vets- Couple Questions ??

I just heard from another member- won't post his ID since he PMd me:

howdy... im sitting here at the exact same juncture as you...

i have the kit all spralled out (mostly sitting on my hood), but i just cant think of the best place to start... so ive not.

Can someone help get us started? I decided to undo the first 18" section of the bundle and found that two of the sections have common wires NOT starting or stopping in the fuse block...

And how are you supposed to get those big fat bundles through the 1.25" hole that Painless says to drill?

Thanks,
Old 10-14-2007, 07:33 PM   #3
68 P.O.S.

It's been awhile since I did mine so I'll try to help out the best my memory will let me. I don't know if it will make a difference, but did you order the kit made specifically for our trucks, or did you buy a universal kit? IIRC all the wires were bundled conveniently so I didn't have to mess with them much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinDancer View Post
1. Is this made so that the dash stuff goes out into the engine well and then back into the cab somehow? Or should I just cut open the factory bundling so I can run the dash wiring up into the dash area inside the cab?
The fuse block (obviously) mounts inside the cab. Everything that needs to be in the cab (Dash, Door, Speaker, A/C & Heat) all sprout out from the top of the fuse box. The Engine and Rear sections come together in one big "plug" that bolts to the fuse block from the engine bay. The only wire I had to run from the engine bay into the cab was the fuel sending unit wire.

Quote:
2. The instructions say to route the rear wiring down onto the 'floor pan'. Can't do that without cutting and redoing the factory bundle ties. I was told that our trucks have the rear wiring out into the engine well and then down the firewall and into the frame for the trip to the rear.
I don't remember my instructions suggesting this. I routed my Rear section into the plastic wire holder on the top of the firewall that also holds the windshield washer squirter hoses. Than ran it down the firewall behind the engine and inside the frame to the rear...just as the stock wiring. You'll see clip holders along the frame and firewall just for this purpose.

Quote:
So should I just redo the bundle to that the wiring can go the correct direction from the fuse block or am I way too slow to do this myself?
Like I said, in my experience everything was correct and the wires were bundled conveniently so I didn't have to mess with them much.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by 68 P.O.S.; 10-14-2007 at 07:36 PM.
68 P.O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 08:06 PM   #4
RedZ71

btw, twas i that sent the OP the message.

i went ahead and took the plung... count my truck with "the ones that no longer are able to start". i ran into some surprises, most notably that the PO didnt properly redo the steering column connector...

i dont know the first thing about electrical stuff, but i guess im about to learn first hand! btw, if i want to make the steering column connection right... where should i start? im really hoping that that portion can be purchased seperate from "an entire steering column".
www.z71silverado.com

Last edited by RedZ71; 10-14-2007 at 08:10 PM.
RedZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 09:33 PM   #5
yenko427

Iam almost finished with my painless wiring kit part number 10206. You can pm with your phone number all see if I can help you.
yenko427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:06 AM   #6
WinDancer

I found a good write-up in one of the mags...
Link is below if you'd like yo have a look-see
Old 10-15-2007, 09:17 AM   #7
RedZ71

despirately looking for said link!!! lol
www.z71silverado.com
RedZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 11:33 AM   #8
WinDancer

Here is the link..........
http://www.customclassictrucks.com/t...all/index.html