The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
emil77

Changing dash lights to LED's with stock gauges?

Hi guys,

I've been reading some past threads about people changing their dash lights to LED's, here's one for example: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=307962. Looking at 70C10's post, is that the stock gauge, or it's the aftermarket white ones some members switch to? The reason I ask is I buy a set of blue 194 LED's: http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...6&_nkw=194+led how will that look in my stock cluster? Should I buy the white LED's?
emil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
cjohnson6772

Re: Changing dash lights to LED's with stock gauges?

I'm pretty sure the ones pictured are the aftermarket white face gauges a lot of people switch to. I am planning on going with white leds. Actually planning on buying these (http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...6&_nkw=194+led) within the hour unless someone sees anything wrong with them. They're on sale for a great price and they are the 10 led vs. the normal 5 led. I am concerned they will be too long or too bright though :/
cjohnson6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
emil77

I understand that the ones pictured are the white face's. My concern is with the stock faces, will putting a blue LED look good or I should go with white LED's?
Old 07-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
cjohnson6772

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence. I thought you were asking which his were and would yours look good with blue. I can't say from personal experience, but I wouldn't think the blue led with black gauges would look very good. JMHO though. Maybe someone who has this arrangement can give you a better idea.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:27 AM   #5
emil77

Anybody else done this mod?
Old 07-11-2011, 04:29 AM   #6
MistaGavin

I used green SMD LEDs in my stock cluster, I figured it was a perfect color to go with green tinted gauges. The"SMD" LEDs are MUCH brighter than standard LEDs and they have diodes situated on 5 surfaces. My experience in the past with the ordinary 194 LEDs is that they are very directional, especially when they are located close to the gauges from behind the cluster, causing hot spots right in front of them, and poor lighting in areas with lights not right behind them. With SMD LEDs they disperse light much more evenly and it is much brighter. In my cluster (not in my truck now, as I am about to paint the truck) I used green SMDs on every light that shines on the gauges as well as the turn signal indicator lights and red/orange on the warning/high beam lights.

The thing about most LEDs is that they only work one way in the socket, so it is necessary to plug in the cluster without mounting it to the dash so it is possible to orient the lights in the correct position. Its also necessary to turn the turn signals on to make sure they are also oriented correctly, as well as making sure the warning SMD LEDs are oriented correctly. The end result is that I have a VERY bright and pretty green dash lights.

I am also going to use red SMD LEDs in my rear marker lights as well as amber in my front marker lights and cab lights as they provide even light distribution. I also installed a no-load flasher because these lights draw very little current, which is especially necessary with LED taillights.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
emil77

Nice write up, thank you. The bulb you used is a "smd" 194 LED?
Old 07-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaGavin View Post
I used green SMD LEDs in my stock cluster, I figured it was a perfect color to go with green tinted gauges. The"SMD" LEDs are MUCH brighter than standard LEDs and they have diodes situated on 5 surfaces. My experience in the past with the ordinary 194 LEDs is that they are very directional, especially when they are located close to the gauges from behind the cluster, causing hot spots right in front of them, and poor lighting in areas with lights not right behind them. With SMD LEDs they disperse light much more evenly and it is much brighter. In my cluster (not in my truck now, as I am about to paint the truck) I used green SMDs on every light that shines on the gauges as well as the turn signal indicator lights and red/orange on the warning/high beam lights.

The thing about most LEDs is that they only work one way in the socket, so it is necessary to plug in the cluster without mounting it to the dash so it is possible to orient the lights in the correct position. Its also necessary to turn the turn signals on to make sure they are also oriented correctly, as well as making sure the warning SMD LEDs are oriented correctly. The end result is that I have a VERY bright and pretty green dash lights.

I am also going to use red SMD LEDs in my rear marker lights as well as amber in my front marker lights and cab lights as they provide even light distribution. I also installed a no-load flasher because these lights draw very little current, which is especially necessary with LED taillights.

Can you post some pics? You have my interest...

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #9
bigguy69
dazed and confused

me too intersted
Old 07-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #10
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

I did my cluster with red LEDs. I took the cluster apart and painted all the green with gloss white... now my red LEDs really shine. I used SMD LEds that were stacked 3 tall and on 4 sides... really spreads the light...

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #11
MistaGavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
Can you post some pics? You have my interest...
Sorry fellas the cluster is sitting in my room and the truck is waiting for paint here in the next few days. Hopefully ill put it in and have pics up next weekend.

These are the type of bulbs I used, I know they can be found a little cheaper though.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK:MESINDXX:IT
Old 07-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #12
stich626
Account Suspended

I'm use'n yellow as the truck is yellow and so is the dash,
got them http://www.superbrightleds.com
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #13
cjohnson6772

@ MistaGavin: I'm about to buy some of the white leds online and I just want to make sure: There are 4 leds that light the gauges, and one for each warning light, one for the high beam, and one for each turn signal? So total of 9 bulbs total? 4 white, 3 red, and 2 green? Just wanting to clarify before I buy. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #14
emil77

Great info, keep it coming.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:21 PM   #15
cjohnson6772

Just found a good old thread on brightening the gauges. Starts off with brighter incandescent bulbs but ends on leds and has some good pics and info. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=199921
Old 07-12-2011, 02:18 AM   #16
wwotr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaGavin View Post

Absolutely agree1!

I had Green (4 Bulb) LEDs against White Faced Gauges in my 67 C-10.
It was laughable at best, as the light emitted was directly out the Top.

Now on my 72 GMC, even though my Gauges aren't White faced,
(they're actually more of a Silver faced), I used directional LEDs from www.superbrightleds.com.

They were a 5000% improvement and here's a short video to back it up, (if that's your kinda thang).

back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #17
MistaGavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnson6772 View Post
@ MistaGavin: I'm about to buy some of the white leds online and I just want to make sure: There are 4 leds that light the gauges, and one for each warning light, one for the high beam, and one for each turn signal? So total of 9 bulbs total? 4 white, 3 red, and 2 green? Just wanting to clarify before I buy. Thanks in advance.
Yes that sounds right. Make sure you get the SMD LEDs with diodes on each surface for good light distribution, although not as necessary for the turn signals and warning lights, I used them anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-12-2011, 02:39 PM   #18
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwotr View Post
Now on my 72 GMC, even though my Gauges aren't White faced,
(they're actually more of a Silver faced), I used directional LEDs from www.superbrightleds.com.
Can you point to which ones you have from superbrightleds? A long time ago, I bought the ones that only point straight forward (3 leds on the top only), and it doesn't put off much light. It's not horrible, but I would like something a lot brighter. Just wondering which actual ones you got from them. Thanks!
Old 07-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #19
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Subscribed. I want to replace my stock cluster bulbs with LED's. I want it stock looking but brighter.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:01 PM   #20
MistaGavin

Perfect for you^ doesn't hurt to paint your needles and clean up the faces while you're at it (careful not to take the white paint off).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-20-2011, 10:14 PM   #21
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

I want to brighten up my heater control, anyone done that?

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:27 PM   #22
Bad70sbchevy

Here's mine with stock guages. All I did was change the bulbs to LEDs and spraypainted the inside of the instrument cluster silver.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=480633
Bad70sbchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:12 AM   #23
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Question Re: Changing dash lights to LED's with stock gauges?

Hi guys - I am looking for LEDs for my dash gauges/cluster/indicators. So I have this correct for this setup? My truck is still at my brothers for a engine rebuild but want to start stocking up on parts for things I want to do when it returns (soon I hope).

4 - White (gauges)
2 - Green (turn lights) or is getting a green LED not really required?
1 - Blue (high beams) or is getting a blue LED not really required?

Perhaps I should not get "4 point/SMD" for Turns/High Beam indicators?

No Reds since I have gauges for temp, oil, amps???

Does the Gear selector have a light? I cannot seem to recall. NM, its some fiber wire thing for non-tilt columns.

What are the bulb type number in the stock Heater/AC controls?

I am looking at these 4 point LEDs here: www.whitegauges.net and they claim dimmable. "Works with most vehicle lighting dimmer controls, LEDs will dim between 6 volts and 12 volts."

Also just looked at https://www.superbrightleds.com/ but they do not claim dimmable like the whitegauges.net site does. States 10-30V DC for operational voltages.
Whites 5 SMD LED Tower
Green/Yellow 90' Beam Angle
PS: I just read elsewhere where it is preferred not to dig up old threads and I just realized this one is 9 years old. Sorry, I thought I was doing good searching and asking in this thread about Dash LEDs.
Attached Images

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim

Last edited by Rich72C10; 09-03-2020 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Added superbrightleds.com Option
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:28 AM   #24
72LB

When I did mine I tried white (top pic)and it seemed too bright. Considering you loose the ability to dim them I ended up going to green (bottom) as it was a bit more subtle.
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2020, 08:33 AM   #25
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Do you mind telling me what the LEDs (site/part numbers) you used, did they advertise "dimming" or the voltage range?

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote