The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2020, 08:59 AM   #1
Big70

Tail light gaskets/Reverse light gaskets/Screws

OK I'm putting in new tail lights and cleaned up my housings. My question is, are there two different gaskets between housing and plastic lenses? it seamed like there was a thick rubber in the housing and my local c10 shop said no there is only the foam style ones that he can get me.... The other question I had is when I removed the factory housing there were rubber like bushings around mounting screws and my pops said there were there to keep the housings from rattling around and knocking out bulbs and what have u? That is another part my c10 shop has no clue about... Im I missing some thing here? The gaskets I got with my new lenses seam way to thin compared to the factory ones I pulled out. Any help is always good help thank you!
Old 09-01-2020, 12:52 PM   #2
Smitty

Re: Tail light gaskets/Reverse light gaskets/Screws

I pitched the flimsy foam ones and bought a pair of 9342 Soft Seal. I think that they are available through Jegs. But you can Google the number and shop for the best deal.These are solid foam and about 3/16 " thick. Will prevent any issues with rattle or leakage. https://www.jegs.com/i/SoffSeal/854/9342/10002/-1
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:48 PM   #3
Smitty

9341 is the soft seal pt# for the backup light gasket. Also available at Jeg’s.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:50 AM   #4
sick472

I used the thin light duty foam ones AND some rope caulk. I put the rope caulk in first, then the foam gasket. This makes for a tighter seal and the rope caulk will smush to make it equally tight all around while the foam gasket makes it easy to get the lens back out without it sticking. Better gaskets could be a better way to go, but I always have rope caulk laying around and have found it to be great stuff in places like this.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:12 AM   #5
Big70

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick472 View Post
I used the thin light duty foam ones AND some rope caulk. I put the rope caulk in first, then the foam gasket. This makes for a tighter seal and the rope caulk will smush to make it equally tight all around while the foam gasket makes it easy to get the lens back out without it sticking. Better gaskets could be a better way to go, but I always have rope caulk laying around and have found it to be great stuff in places like this.

How long do you wait to put the lenses in after you put the rope caulk in? Do you let it set up at all?
Old 09-02-2020, 09:14 AM   #6
Big70

Does any know about any rubber anti rattle o rings around the screws that hold the tail light housings to the bed sides?
Old 09-02-2020, 09:16 AM   #7
Big70

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick472 View Post
Ow I see now it does not set up you just put it in like backing rod.... thanks for the tip!!
Old 09-02-2020, 09:18 AM   #8
Smitty

If you have a sample or idea of the size check out a hardware store that has an assortment of o rings in a box. Ace hardware or Fleet Supply might be possible sources.