The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-01-2010, 06:43 AM   #1
Larry S

an idea for vortec fuel pump. ( maybe a bad one)

I have a blazer tank kit going into the rear of my 69 sb fleetside. I have a 96 5.7 vortec. My initial plan was to put an external fuel pump with correct pressure to supply the 5.7. I was doing some brainstorming last night and am wondering if this will work. I have the complete 96 silverado donor. Why couldnt I take the fuel pump off the silverado and cut the pickup like on the sender assembly that came with my blazer tank kit and attach that pump on it at the correct level. I can drill a hole in top of the unit for the wire plug and use the 90 ohm sender that came with blazer tank to operate my fuel gauge. The hole in the tank is only 2' diameter so I may have to do some magic to get it all in there, but if I can get it down thru the hole, Why wouldnt it work. the pump out of the vortec sits down on a "cradle". I can cut the cradle off the 96 assembly and weld it onto a piece of ss allthread and drill a hole in the top of the blazer assembly and put a nut on the top and bottom to hold the pump. The blazer tank has some extra ports on it I could use for the return line. Is this a dumb idea? Im just tryin to use the stuff I already have and I know for sure this pump is correct for this engine, it cameout of the same truck. Dumb idea?
Larry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:23 AM   #2
eagleuh1

Re: an idea for vortec fuel pump. ( maybe a bad one)

It could be a dumb idea if not done right. Get it boiled out first so it doesn't explode when welding or cutting on it. I've got something similar to work on. My pump and sender came from my 96 s10 Blazer tank. Haven't figured what tank I'm putting it in yet though. It will be running a 2005 5.3 eventually. Good luck with yours.
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
Larry S

Lightbulb Re: an idea for vortec fuel pump. ( maybe a bad one)

Yeah. Explosions are not a good thing. What Im talking about is taking the sender / pump assembly out of the 96 silverado tank and discarding the 96 tank. Then takin the pump, wiring harness, and the cradle that holds the pump off that assembly. Then discarding the remainder of that assembly. All of the blazer tank is new and has never had gas in it. Then cutting the "pick up" line on the new sender/ pickup assembly and installing the pump onto it, drilling 2 holes into the top af that assembly, 1 for the wiring harness for the pump and another for the allthread welded to the cradle that holds the pump. The hole in the tank is only 2" so itl be a little tricky to get it all in there, but I think itl go. I hope yall can follow this, heck im confusing myself.
Larry S is offline   Reply With Quote