The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
72BBB

door and rocker problems

Ok guys i had to replace both doors on my 72 and first i ordered goodmark doors and that turned out to be really bad they were 3/8 inch too big so i sent them back and picked up some used doors. The rocker panels i got are from key parts and when they are tacked in and the stock door is hung the gap on the bottom of the door and rocker is not right. The gap is good in the back than gets tighter towards the front causing the door corner to hit and the door hits slightly on the inner rocker on the front curved part. Should i buy different brand rockers or modify the rockers??
72BBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
Roland

Re: door and rocker problems

Somebody please say modify the rockers and tell us how to do it right. I have the same problem. Tempted to "beat it to fit and paint it to match".
Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
72BBB

I know how you feel man i have been trying everything just dont understand how these companies can make parts that are not right.
72BBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
Dynomutt

You can do either. The first ones I bought are REALLY bad so I ordered a pair of TriPlus rockers. Won't have them until the end of the week so we'll see how they fit. If you want to use the ones you have, just start making some relief cuts where you think the problem is and see what happens. It all welds back together. You'll either get it to fit right or worst case you ruined a $15 dollar part. The ones I have won't even fit over the A pillar for starters, then the body curve is off, then the B pillar part won't line up and on and on. I've started hacking them up just to see if I can get them to fit and it may work out better in the long run since they will be "custom fitted" to my truck.

The Key Parts stuff that I have seen is certainly not the best. I've had the best luck with TriPlus stuff but I'm sure there are a lot of other opinions on who's good and who's not.

Good luck.

Build Thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446194
Dynomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomutt View Post
You can do either. The first ones I bought are REALLY bad so I ordered a pair of TriPlus rockers. Won't have them until the end of the week so we'll see how they fit. If you want to use the ones you have, just start making some relief cuts where you think the problem is and see what happens. It all welds back together. You'll either get it to fit right or worst case you ruined a $15 dollar part. The ones I have won't even fit over the A pillar for starters, then the body curve is off, then the B pillar part won't line up and on and on. I've started hacking them up just to see if I can get them to fit and it may work out better in the long run since they will be "custom fitted" to my truck.

The Key Parts stuff that I have seen is certainly not the best. I've had the best luck with TriPlus stuff but I'm sure there are a lot of other opinions on who's good and who's not.

Good luck.
Keyparts sells TriPlus. They sell to us and quite a few companies. I can show you pics. We very rarely ever have to cut and slit like most of the guys do here. We do this for a living. Most times they line up with the original factory joints fine. You may have to reshape a little here and thier. If you have to really start hacking them up something is wrong. I will post some other pics installed with door.

This is just a picture of one not welded. This is typical We don't have a problem installing them and we have never had a customer complaint about the work. Its easy to bad mouth a part but they do take some skill to put on. Sorry if I offend any one. I have seen many done by do it yourselfers. Its hard to give advice in a forum. You just don't know what has been done to the truck without pics. I have had customers say the same thing. When I go over and look at the install many times it was minor problem with the other parts not right.

Being a bodyman helps and what is a large problem to some is a small one to others.
Attached Images

Last edited by mbgmike; 01-26-2010 at 09:37 PM.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:41 PM   #6
Dynomutt

You didn't offend me unless you were insulting my skills without even knowing what I can do.

I wasn't badmouthing anyones product either, simply stating what I have had experience with and not all panels fit all vehicles the same. For all I know they are all made by the same people but the parts that I have used that are tagged with Keyparts haven't fit as well as some others for reasons unknown.

BTW, the first rockers I got were not Keyparts or TriPlus and,
I do not do this for a living and never have so my experience is based solely off of my projects BUT, I do not think you have to be a professional to have a professionals skills.

Good luck with your project, I say do whatever YOU are most comfortable with and sorry for the de-rail of the thread.

Build Thread

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446194
Dynomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:56 PM   #7
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

I had similar issues when i installed ours. I had to hammer and dolly some of the contours to fit better in the a and b pillar.

Post some pics of your issue. Always remember to use sheet metal screws to check fitment before welding in the outer rocker.

subscribe to the board here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache
1967 C10 SWB FleetSide (under construction)
1969 K10 SWB FleetSide (Future Build)
1972 C10 SWB Stepside (Future Build)

56 chevy truck :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955823/1

67 truck build:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=281357/1

69 k10:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389470
my67chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:05 AM   #8
tim21391

i did it the hard way.. i made my doors a tad bit shorter.. nobody can notice tho because its that small of an amount.. i skinned the bottoms of the doors inside and out...
2013 Mustang V6/6speed w/300 ponies
I may be 23, but i sure do knows 67-72s are sexy!
Its not MPG its smiles per gallon!
build started 11/25/08
build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=2993796
tim21391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:11 AM   #9
71 super

I have installed several sets of tri plus rockers and a couple of NOS rockers, in my opinion the tri plus are at least equal in weight to the GM units and fit better than the Gm parts as well. I just installed a set in the 68 and had both sides done in roughly 5 hours. The only modification that I have had to make and this applies to all is at the "A" pillar where the curves match at the bottom of the pillar.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #10
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Sometimes if a cab is rusted in a structual area besides the rocker, when you cut the rocker out, the cab can flex or shift giving these fitment issues. Or it could just be you have the same luck I have.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote