The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-18-2016, 07:27 PM   #1
the idiocracy

How's this for a first post?

So I have lurked this site for years, reading, linking to stories, and finding suppliers and generally benefitting from all the other awesome stuff that this site has to offer. Well, I have been going back and forth with shat to do with my truck, a 67 longbed stepside, original inline 6 (250) with a three speed on the tree (that someone bastardized and moved to the floor). Ive had her on and off since 1999, buying and selling the same truck 3 times over the years.

The first ownership period was 1997 - 1998, when my old man found the truck in someones yard and took it off their hand for $500 bucks. He gave it a tune up and I had my first car (I had to make payments, it wasn't free). But it wasn't fast or cool so after a year I sold it for $1500 to a friends Dad.

A few months later, as I was getting ready to graduate HS, I realized that truck was cooler-n-hell, and was able to buy it back for $1200. It just sat there for a year and then he needed to get rid of it. So I owned it again.

Then I went to Marine Corps boot camp, and my old man redid the body, taking it from the primer grey that it was (we should have left that way in hind sight) to a show quality yellow paint job. He did all the work himself, as a graduation present from Boot camp. The truck looked amazing. I intended to get the truck when I figured out where I was getting stationed and that would be that. But, that didn't work out...so when I was on float, we stopped in Hong Kong, I suggested that my pops put a for sale sign on it with a crazy number. By the time I got to the next port (Hawaii) the truck was sold, and I didn't have a chance to tell him I didn't want to sell it! Oh well. That was 2001.

Fast forward 13 year, November 2014, my wife is 9 months pregnant with my second kid and I am in my final semester of a B.S in Aerospace Engineering. I am flipping through Craigslist, and I see a yellow truck flash by the screen. No friggin way...can'y be.

Sure as hell, that was my truck. Only one like it. Still had the racing seats that my not so skinny but didn't fit in any longer! (don't judge me...they matched the color scheme back in 1998). Called the guy, told him im buying his truck and that was basically it. I went and saw it, didn't really matter what condition it was in. It ran and drove. Paid the man, took her home. For the last time. Maybe...

Over the last year, I have been collecting parts for a turbo build. There are so many C10s with small blocks running around now, I figured I would try something a little different. Well, about $2500 into it for everything and she up and running. A little rough at the moment, but running none the less. And she has a whistle that is oh so sweet!!!

Here's a few pics...
Attached Images

the idiocracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:33 PM   #2
the idiocracy

Re: How's this for a first post?

and here's one more. I am dialing in the carb now to get her to run a little better, but she fired up right out of the box.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2016, 07:40 PM   #3
old Chevy guy

Cool story and cool truck. That's awsum you were able to find her again after all that time. Welcome to the board ! 67's are a bit uniquice and long steps more so.
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:42 PM   #4
72 Super

That's a great story and congrats on getting the truck back after so many years.

Ray
Old 06-18-2016, 07:43 PM   #5
35boulder

Great story...Best of luck with your build.
35boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:04 PM   #6
the idiocracy

and here's one more pic...the system all buttoned up. Still have to finish the exhaust...I'm going to dump it right out the wheel well...no muffler needed, the turbo makes it sound pretty good.
Attached Images

Old 06-18-2016, 09:16 PM   #7
the idiocracy

Thanks guys, its pretty cool that I was able to get her back. Just dumb luck really. I'm figuring that the original motor wont hold up much past this summer, so I am planning on rebuilding the inline 6 over the winter. Freshen everything up, lump port the heads, maybe get a little more RPMs out of her. That should liven this thing up even more. hoping to be around 450 wheel HP after all is said and done.
Old 06-18-2016, 09:30 PM   #8
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

that's really cool! I have a built 250 in my 70 C10. I love the turbo idea, and 450 wheel HP will catch a lot of people's attention!
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 09:33 PM   #9
the idiocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 shorty View Post
that's really cool! I have a built 250 in my 70 C10. I love the turbo idea, and 450 wheel HP will catch a lot of people's attention!
Nice! They aren't exactly screamers, but with a 7 bolt main, I'm not concerned about longevity! Where did you get the motor done? Rebuild it yourself or give it to a builder? I have been eyeing Clifford Performance for the rebuild.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:48 PM   #10
Wide Open

Quote:
Originally Posted by the idiocracy View Post
original inline 6 (250) with a three speed on the tree (that someone bastardized and moved to the floor).
Hahahaha. Maybe my truck was owned by the same person because mine is like that too.

Nice truck and the turbo setup is sweet.
2007 Escalade
Wide Open is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 10:59 PM   #11
tommys72

nice story and congrats on getting it back! Nice little motor ya got there too. Semper Fi

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 11:27 PM   #12
In The Ten Ring

Fascinating story.

Stepside, manual, and long wheelbase?

If you sell it again, it should be to me!

Welcome to the forum.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:44 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

That's a great 1st post. Welcome from out of the wood work! The L6 is ideal for a turbo set-up. I had such plans for a 292 in a SWB K/10, but had to let it dissolve after having all parts gathered, which was a bummer. I never dreamed of getting anywhere near 450hp, though.

As far as so many SBCs in these trucks these days goes, that's could be said about "those" days, too, since that's what came in them. I don't know the production figures for V8s in '67 LWB Stepsides, but there were just shy of 20k 6cyls built. I'd venture to say it's possible there were more 6s than 8s built in '67, though. Most were bought w/o the bells and whistles. And, in '67 there were no big blocks, so two choices in either 6 or 8. One thing for sure, your model was fairly low production in the big scheme of things

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 06-19-2016 at 08:32 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:46 AM   #14
the idiocracy

I agree, it is a somewhat rare combo. I don't think I've seen another one on the road ever. Lots of SWBs and fleetside long beds. But that comes at a price, I am struggling to find replacement steps for the bed. The passenger side is rotted out in the back. Not the worst thing in the world. The rest of the panels i need are readily available, I might have to get creative with extending a SWB step.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:34 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

Yeah, just replace the bad section. Easier said than done, I know, but very doable.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:35 PM   #16
GRX

Great first post. Str8 six powered long stepper represent!
Old 06-20-2016, 12:52 PM   #17
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I can't believe you like money too. We should hang out.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 01:45 PM   #18
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

Great story about a really cool truck!
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 02:28 PM   #19
stomper

Sweet! Show us video!!!
Old 06-20-2016, 02:59 PM   #20
Redline novdog

Thank you for your service! Nice truck! To find it again! awesome! I wish I could find a couple of my old ones!!!! Play the lottery lately? Nice Hot rod, Not an everyday build and I like it!SWEET!!!!
Old 06-23-2016, 02:03 PM   #21
Comfort Creature

Fascinating story--thanks for sharing! What did you do about the seats (or are you restoring both truck and driver at the same time?) :-D
Comfort Creature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:56 PM   #22
the idiocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Yeah, just replace the bad section. Easier said than done, I know, but very doable.
yeah, i know...I just have bite the bullet and dive in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRX View Post
Great first post. Str8 six powered long stepper represent!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
I can't believe you like money too. We should hang out.
Yeah, its not a cheap game that we play right? But, we could all be crack heads...so I guess we have that going for us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressbog View Post
Great story about a really cool truck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline novdog View Post
Thank you for your service! Nice truck! To find it again! awesome! I wish I could find a couple of my old ones!!!! Play the lottery lately? Nice Hot rod, Not an everyday build and I like it!SWEET!!!!
Something just a little different. And its got a pretty sweet whistle to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stomper View Post
Sweet! Show us video!!!
When I get the exhaust buttoned up and connected to the existing system I will get some video. I am also exchanging the fuel pump, I think its not right. I think I have the carb pretty well dialed in for a baseline anyway, and now is the time I would start reading plugs to look for lean conditions, but I don't like what the fuel pump is doing. So I'll change that and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfort Creature View Post
Fascinating story--thanks for sharing! What did you do about the seats (or are you restoring both truck and driver at the same time?) :-D
I located a bench from a 67-72 in PA and went out there th enext weekend to pick it up. Those seats got tossed! (I lived in NY when I bought the truck, now I'm in Michigan)

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I plan on driving the truck for the rest of the summer, of until it lets go, and then doing some engine work over the winter. If she's still got good cylinder pressure I may just freshen the head and change the cam and ignition for some higher output stuff.

Last edited by the idiocracy; 06-23-2016 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:18 PM   #23
the idiocracy

This just got me thinking......What I am seeing is a surge of pump pressure, like the pump is seeing more voltage than it should and it trying to pump harder as a result. This is playing hell on the FPR, which then over-fuels the carb, making the engine stumble. I have the negative lead direct to the battery, the positive lead run through a relay with the trigger being the keyed hot on the coil. Is there any chance that the "over voltage" that I am about to go verify could be a product of the voltage regulator charging the battery when it sees the battery voltage get to low? Or does this regulator just apply constant voltage to the battery? The truck still has the factory charging system on it.

Nevermind. I just checked. 12V to the pump constant and its only drawing .04-.05 Amps. Damn. Sending the pump back.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:47 PM   #24
'68OrangeSunshine

Sweet looking truck. Good you got it back.
I like the turbo rig. What carb is that, a Holley?
I have a '68 C/10 Stepside [short] w/ OEM L6 292. [It once belonged to the Catholic Chaplain at CamPen -- I used to get a salute at the gate at MCAS CPNC, when I was a PFC -- until the duty NCO caught on].
I have an Offy intake, Eddy 1404 500 CFM 4 Bbl, and Clifford Research headers. Had mine since June 1973.
Semper Fi!

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:55 PM   #25
the idiocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
Sweet looking truck. Good you got it back.
I like the turbo rig. What carb is that, a Holley?
I have a '68 C/10 Stepside [short] w/ OEM L6 292. [It once belonged to the Catholic Chaplain at CamPen -- I used to get a salute at the gate at MCAS CPNC, when I was a PFC -- until the duty NCO caught on].
I have an Offy intake, Eddy 1404 500 CFM 4 Bbl, and Clifford Research headers. Had mine since June 1973.
Semper Fi!
Thats awesome man. Semper Fi to you Brother.

And its a QuickFuel Carb (Holley design)...couldn't pass up the idea of a pre-setup blowthrough carb. A little pricey, but she fired up right out of the box, with onl yfine tuning needed. Worth every penny.