The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
see ten
WTB this ad

Alignment/tire wear issue.

A few months ago I realized that my drivers front tire was wearing heavily towards the outside edge. The passenger side also has wear but it isn't to near the extent as the drivers. I figured that an alignment was in order, so I pretty much parked the truck until we could get to it. After some discussion (and issues trying to find anyone to align my wifes 54) we just went ahead and bought the tools so we could set em up ourselves.

The tools came in and we sat down and did our homework and studied up on the proper use of the tools and what kinda numbers we should be looking at to put us where we want to be. Brian did his son's truck first, and things went off without a hitch and the truck drives much better. We also did my brothers truck that went like we wanted as well.

When we put the gauges on my truck (the one that I started this post about originally) everything checks good!? We went on and checked tie rods and ball joints for wear and they all look and feel good. Tire pressure was checked and it was spot on as well. The only thing we found that was not as it should've been was the wheel bearings. They were just a smidge looser then we would have liked em so we snugged them up.

So...Any clues to why my tires are wearing? I do know that I had to add air to the tires back in November before I drove it to Daytona but I don't recall them being low enough that they would have had this kind of wear on them. Also the tires are directional and different sizes front/back so rotation is out of the question.

I also didn't write down the caster/camber or toe specs but they were all within what we were led to believe would be acceptable.

Thanks in advance for any help or speculation that you may provide guys!
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
cparman
sharp as a marble

Re: Alignment/tire wear issue.

0 degrees Camber
+ something Caster
1/8th toe in

If you can imagine 0 Camber is all but vertical, and should not wear a tire. You want as much positive Caster as you can get. High speed stability. Toe set to about a factory setting. IF you are wearing the outside edge of a tire, I would think that you have too much positive camber, or too much toe in on that wheel. My stuff is set to 0 camber, with the variance to -.5 camber ( in at the top ) Caster depends on the truck, but doubt if you will get more than 2 degrees + caster.
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote