The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2014, 11:33 PM   #1
Matt21lutz

Exclamation lift a 2wd or go 4x4?

So thanks to some help on here found out what I need to lift a 2wd, so now the question is.. lift it as a 2wd or go 4x4? advantages and disadvantages?
Old 06-11-2014, 01:31 AM   #2
INSIDIOUS '86

Re: lift a 2wd or go 4x4?

Well the pros and cons are clear. Depends on how you use your truck or if you want it to look a certain way. Having just converted a k5 blazer to 2wd I can tell you that it's not easy or fun. In all honesty it will be very much easier to swap a 2wd Frame out and replace it with a 4wd frame. If you have really nice tools and know what your doing converting the 2wd frame to 4wd will be a little faster and take up a lot less space.
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:22 AM   #3
andrewmp6

I would just buy a long bed 4x4 they are starting to get cheap around me.Lifting a 2wd truck can only go so high and then its still a 2wd truck.And what its worth a 4x4 truck would be worth more then same truck 2wd.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:36 AM   #4
Ziegelsteinfaust

I had a 2wd, and took it down plenty of dirt roads no problem. Mine having the heavy duty suspension was already about as high as I could lift it with out mods. Plus lifted 2wds just don't look right unless you dump money into a pre-runner kit. Or finish it off something like a Raptor.

Now I have a 4wd, and still have not driven it due to retarded project phase I am in. It is a couple of inches higher then my C20 was with the same size tires, and looks fine. When I get it driving I will likely put a lowering shackle in the rear to level the K20 off. I live in southern california, and we just have dirt roads with nasty rocks. So I intend to build the truck to do well there, and all I have to do is soften the suspension up a bit for a nicer ride.

Advantages of a lifted 2wd over stock are better mpg, and nothing. Unless you build a pre-runner with soft suspension. Or lift it more then 2 inches, and begin to look awkward fast.

4wd if you like to go down dirt roads with soft Texas sand it can be a big benefit. MPG will suffer, and it is not easy to just add an overdrive tranny.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote