The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2012, 02:01 AM   #1
gono

Do you know what this is?

I'm in the process of wiring my 55' 3100. I bought a wire harness about 20 years ago and I'm not sure where from. The wire leads were numbered so I contacted a few vendor for a wire diagram but they didn't work. Long story short, I went wire by wire and figured out he wire harness. so here's the question, on the headlights and parking lights I have this connection. How does this connect to the headlights? Am I missing the male connector to this plug? Do male spade connectors plug in? I'm ordering the pig tail from the headlights and I'm hoping they plug in but the catalog didn't show the connecting end and I'm expecting bare wires. Help!
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2012, 06:45 AM   #2
1project2many

Re: Do you know what this is?

Purple and blue... look at park / turn signal lights.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:48 AM   #3
Midgets50

that looks like the pigtail plug for some of the prepackaged lights that some of the autoparts stores have. if i remember right they have the other end for that and its just a basic hi/low beam assembly
Midgets50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
mr48chev

There is probably a matching connector with the male pins on it. I'd almost think it is a bulkhead connector where the wires go through a panel. Depending on the kit it may or may not be color coded to the trucks original wiring color codes.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
OrrieG

My 59 has that configuration for the turn signal connector on the radiator support. As said colors are probably wiring company specific. The double wire of the same color would be coming from the source (parking light) and branching to the other side while the single would be for the signal on that side. You should have another just like it but with just two wires for the other side, one from the previous, one for the signal on that side.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:59 PM   #6
gono

Thanks for all the input, I've already traced what the wires feed. I was wondering about the plug itself. So, from the parking lights there should be male connector that plugs into this female connector?
Old 08-30-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
1project2many

I misunderstood the question, sort of. That is not a headlight harness connector. As mentioned, it connects to a small harness from the park light. The rubber plug from the light has male spade terminals and an outer boot which is large enough to fit around that plug. You can use crimp type spade connectors but they will corrode without some additional protection.

Last edited by 1project2many; 08-30-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
gono

ok, thanks that helps a lot. worst case I will cut the connector off and crimp myself. As far as corrosion protection, what do you suggest? a little shot of silicon in the plug? I live near the beach so salty air will always be a concern.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #9
1project2many

The best stuff I ever used was supplied by the phone company, back when there was only one Phone Company. It's called "Non Oxidizing Grease" and it's some thick, pasty stuff that just won't come off. Today I tend to paint a bare terminal with a heavy laquer paint or battery terminal protector then use a good marine grade waterproof grease on top of that. If you end up using butt connectors in your circuits be sure to use the type with heat shrink, adhesive filled ends and be careful not to poke holes in the insulation of the connector with the crimper.

HTH
Old 08-31-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
gono

good info, thanks