The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
wilberweb

55 chevy truck cab corner ?

Hi, All
I have a misalignment problem on my cab corners I have the inside cab corners installed got it aligned okay. it measured perfect with the other side of my cab.
I installed my new step it aligned great. Then I tried to see if my outside cab corner will line up with my step but its a little too low where it meets the step. I cant move the inside cab corner its right where its suppose to be resting on the cab frame same spot as the other side. Has any one had the same issues getting the steps lined up with the outside cab corners. I was thinking about cutting the bottom section of the inside cab corner so I could move it up a little it only needs to go up a 1/4" any suggestions would be great. I will send some pictures so you can see what I am talking about.

Thanks in advanced
-Larry
Attached Images

wilberweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:21 PM   #2
_Ogre

Re: 55 chevy truck cab corner ?

cheap stampings and worn out dies
other than the obvious: cab corner on the inside of the door flange
i'm thinking that if you place the fender on you will have the same misalignment
the rocker needs to be bent in and under to match the cab corner
i used 2 guys with strong hands to curl/bend the rocker down
i had to do the same on both sides

not a good pic, but the best i could find to show that area

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
oldcouple

Bending it may be the best option, clamp a two by four on both sides couple clamps and try jacking it up into place. Important to distribute the bearing surface evenly, or do both sides at once with a come along.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
wilberweb

Ogre,
Thanks for the reply.

My inside cab corner seems to be the problem, the lower section right where the inside cab corner meets the step, it seems too low on that one side. I was thinking about cutting that small section out, then installing my cab corner- welding that cutout section hire on the inside cab corner, after I get the outside cab corner installed. Then wrapping the edge to match the bottom of the outside cab corner.

Your right about the worn out dies. All my measurements match the other side of my cab. So I know I can't be too far off.
where the inside cab corner is located it will only go against the cab support other wise the step would be too hi, causing my door not to fit.
If I raised the step off of the lower section of my step support I would have a gap where the step meets the bottom filler piece looks like all I can do is cut the inside cab corner and make that fit, since all my other sections need to stay put other wise I will have door fitting problems.

Thanks for the input
Nice truck

-Larry
Old 08-31-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
wilberweb

oldcouple, Ogre
I see what you guys are saying on the lower step edge wrapping it under to match the cab corner.