The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2024, 09:38 PM   #1
NDM

Re: Bucketlist Blazer -Restomod build 6.6liter L8T

Just a build update... I am still laid off and I am stuck. I need more cash to buy the remainder of the items needed for motor swap and I do not want to just put a few thousand on my credit card. The only way for me to proceed with the swap is with either a jobby job or by selling off my beloved things. I have already sold a bunch of stuff but I really do not want to dip into my tier 1 stuff. I do not want to sell my motorcycle because I put a lot of work into it and it is actually reliable and fuel efficient. SOOOOO......

Today I reluctantly spent a whole day removing my old motor to replace the flywheel. I got the flywheel on and new motor mounts and set the motor down as I ran out of light. What a royal pain in the Ass that was. Middle finger to the person that thought it was a good idea to put the motor damn near against the firewall. I am 100% moving the motor forward when I do the motor swap. I am happy that I did not break or strip any bolts in the process. That virtually never happens!

So tomorrow if all goes well, I will finally after 4 months be able to enjoy my Blazer again. I did overextend my throttle cable so we will see how that works out. I may have to replace it. No worries, I am just glad to almost be able to drive the thing again.
NDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 03:09 PM   #2
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Any machine shop should be able to ream them for you.
I would have the balljoints and tie rod available to make sure they ream them the correct amount.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 11:36 AM   #3
raggedjim

They are C10. I spent some time in Great Lakes during my Navy Daze, I'll bet it's cold up there!

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 12:55 PM   #4
NDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
They are C10. I spent some time in Great Lakes during my Navy Daze, I'll bet it's cold up there!
It is actually a very warm winter so far. 30 degrees right now though.
I could have gone to my parents 2nd home in Georgia and grabbed those arms on the way. They got there yesterday though.
Old 12-30-2023, 08:27 PM   #5
raggedjim

Well, I have been holding on to them for a while. If you decide you want them just pm me.

'68 Short step - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=849675
'69 ('70?) 2wd Blazer
'70 GMC Jimmy 2wd
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 04:40 PM   #6
NDM

Just posting a video to help me kind of get this thing going. I plan to document this whole process so I can help others. Maybe I can even get my youtube account a good amount of views. Enjoy

https://youtu.be/4wfLmYy5nGs
Old 03-08-2024, 08:37 PM   #7
bnorth

Any pics of the old amp setup? Those old JBL GTI's pounded!!
Old 03-09-2024, 02:31 AM   #8
NDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Any pics of the old amp setup? Those old JBL GTI's pounded!!
What do you mean the old amp setup? I am not sure I understand the ask. I am more than happy to share photos if I understand what you are looking for.

BTW, these subs are the W15GTIMKII subs. They are the 3rd gen of the GTI subs. These are cult classic subwoofers in the sound quality car audio crowd but do not mistake these for weak subwoofers (I know you were not). These things get downright NASTY when you want to do the SPL thing. I own six of these only two in the blazer and I use them for sound quality with an exceptional ability to get very loud. They simply sound amazing. They are direct descendants of a world renown JBL Pro audio driver but I cannot think of what the model number was. They were used in professional venues and take tons of abuse. These were basically the same design but modified for a car environment.
Old 03-09-2024, 02:35 AM   #9
NDM

One more day at least. It seems that I broke the kickdown cable and throttle cable. Everything is all installed and the motor turns but I cannot test drive until I get these replaced.

Tomorrow I will investigate further and maybe get the timing reset since I had to take out the distributor to get to the top trans bolts.
Old 03-13-2024, 01:02 PM   #10
bnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDM View Post
What do you mean the old amp setup? I am not sure I understand the ask. I am more than happy to share photos if I understand what you are looking for.

BTW, these subs are the W15GTIMKII subs. They are the 3rd gen of the GTI subs. These are cult classic subwoofers in the sound quality car audio crowd but do not mistake these for weak subwoofers (I know you were not). These things get downright NASTY when you want to do the SPL thing. I own six of these only two in the blazer and I use them for sound quality with an exceptional ability to get very loud. They simply sound amazing. They are direct descendants of a world renown JBL Pro audio driver but I cannot think of what the model number was. They were used in professional venues and take tons of abuse. These were basically the same design but modified for a car environment.
My mistake I thought the stereo was coming out. Let me rephrase: any pics of the current amp setup?
I am familiar with the woofers, the installer at a shop I used to deal with had a pair in his hatchback powered with the amps that JBL/Crown were collaborating on at the time, can't recall the specs but it was properly loud.
Old 03-19-2024, 04:25 PM   #11
NDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
My mistake I thought the stereo was coming out. Let me rephrase: any pics of the current amp setup?
I am familiar with the woofers, the installer at a shop I used to deal with had a pair in his hatchback powered with the amps that JBL/Crown were collaborating on at the time, can't recall the specs but it was properly loud.
Amps are dual JL Audio HD1200/1's and dual HD 600/4's.
Old 04-01-2024, 08:17 PM   #12
NDM

YES!!!!
I have just approved an offer for what will be my new career! I am getting a very large pay bump and will be working from home 95% of the time.
My Blazer is going to be getting the works very soon!!!!

My mother says that I am blessed. My old Military Chief used to say that I have a golden horseshoe up my ass....I realize that both of them are very correct. Either way, I am very excited that I can get back to life after what has been 144 days since I went to work last. As a very high energy person, living life without a mission is very bad for me. I am glad that I will have a place to use up all this energy again!

ADHD....a blessing and a curse! Mostly blessing though!
Old 03-19-2024, 04:21 PM   #13
PowerdbyChevy79

Subscribed.
1979 C10 Silverado "The BIG TEN" https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=841339
1982 C10 Silverado "Lucy"
C10 Club Texas -HMIC
PowerdbyChevy79 is offline   Reply With Quote