The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2003, 11:31 PM   #1
BigRed

Going to drive my truck into a lake!!!!

As you can probably tell from the subject, I'm a little frustrated. After I had the problems last week and then again this week, my truck was running fine. Then, all of a sudden today, my truck died while pulling into a parking spot. Got it started back up and parked. Then, when I came back an hour later, it started fine and I was on my way. Got about a mile down the road and it started to die on me again. Then, when I would accelerate, it would cut out on me big time! I had to drive home again with two feet (really getting tired of that). The weird thing is that it would do this on me and then randomly, it would start running good again. It would go back and forth from running good to bad.

Since I got the carb tuned, it's been running great and then this comes along. I don't think it's the carb this time. It seems like since it's a random thing, that maybe it's ignition related. What are your thoughts? Maybe bad coil or ignition module?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 07-01-2003, 11:58 PM   #2
Lil Greg

I've been told a warn coil can start to drop off after it gets warm but i don't know if theres any truth to this, sounds cheesy to me though. But if you do take it to the lake at least weld up the bed and put a trolling motor on the back .

Last edited by Lil Greg; 07-02-2003 at 12:00 AM.
Lil Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 11:58 PM   #3
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

Is it vaporlocking? How hot is it in Dallas these days? I would check the fuel filter and fuel pump in addition to the ignition parts.
'85 Chev C10 Short Wide - Super plain Vortec 4.8 4L60E trans
also: '81 K30, '83 C30 Crew Dually, '84 M1028 CUCV, '85 M1009 CUCV, another '85 C10 SWB, '89 R3500 Flatbed
ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 08:37 AM   #4
BigRed

Quote:
But if you do take it to the lake at least weld up the bed and put a trolling motor on the back .
Yeah, I could definitely try that! We were out at Grapevine lake last week and saw one of those old cars that doubles as a boat. Pretty cool to see a car drive past you in the lake!

It's pretty hot out. You may have a good point there. Because this morning I had no problems at all. If I only had actual guages instead of these cheesy idiot lights! The fuel filter is fairly new but I'll get a new cartridge just in case. Guess a fuel pump is not too expensive either so maybe I'll try that too.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:15 AM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

if you want you can get a water seperator filter and stick that inline between the carb inlet and fuel pump pretty easy
if you put an aftermarket electronic ignition module in there id throw it out and get a AC DELCO one i had the same problem with a KEM part swear ill never buy aftermarket one again
by the way ten to one if it craps and starts right up its fuel related when a coil craps it usually craps period

PS love that fishing avitar lol showed my kid lol hes been out fishing three weeks in a row and has had the same problem all he caught was a good burn LOL

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2003, 01:27 PM   #6
BigRed

Quote:
Originally posted by old Rusty C10
if you want you can get a water seperator filter and stick that inline between the carb inlet and fuel pump pretty easy
if you put an aftermarket electronic ignition module in there id throw it out and get a AC DELCO one i had the same problem with a KEM part swear ill never buy aftermarket one again
by the way ten to one if it craps and starts right up its fuel related when a coil craps it usually craps period

PS love that fishing avitar lol showed my kid lol hes been out fishing three weeks in a row and has had the same problem all he caught was a good burn LOL
I haven't actually replaced the ignition module yet. I'll probably do that once I find some money.

About fishing, I feel his pain. We went out last Friday night for about 6 hours and only caught several small bass, one cat, several crappie, and 2 nasty gar!
Old 07-03-2003, 07:01 AM   #7
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

are you sure its not heat soak of the fuel pump?
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 08:04 AM   #8
BigRed

Quote:
Originally posted by 1FaastC10
are you sure its not heat soak of the fuel pump?
Nope, not sure. In fact, I plan on getting a new fuel pump today and putting it on this weekend. Nice and cheap and may be able to rule it out or fix my problems.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:00 AM   #9
crossy
Oh,you can't buy that new

clean your battery terminals and while your there do the 'pull' check on the cables where they meet the terminals. also do the pull check down at the starter , gave me fits on two of mine. The #10 wire that comes off the strter solenoid was bad . when I pulled at it the wire pulled out of the terminal and was all green. DAVE
98 Vortec project.
94,3500,6.5L 4L80
81 SWB GMC POS finally gone
73 Pinto, stock, w/CragarSS's-eww
LOTS of Cummins trucks.
crossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 11:23 AM   #10
SCOTI

BigRed, when I first got my 68, I had probs w/it dying after driven even short distances. Apparently when the pump body heated up, the metal expanded enough that the diaphram wouldn't seal so it wouldn't pump any gas.

After letting it cool, it would work fine. Fuel pumps are cheap enough that I would replace that & the fuel filter asap & see if it makes any difference. I also re-routed my lines far away from the manifold & heat sources to reduce vapor lock issues. Good luck.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2003, 11:30 AM   #11
BigRed

Thanks SCOTI, that's what I thought about the fuel pump. Cheap and easy fix. Hopefully that will work.