The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2004, 08:42 PM   #1
Mountain Man

Cool Question about Cheyenne Super equipment?

What options were specific to the "Super" Cheyenne? I would like to know for the outside trim as well as any interior items.

Thanks in advance.
A/C dash
Factory tilt
350 / 350 power train - with Edelbrock components.
Mountain Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 09:22 PM   #2
franko72
Franko72

I am not completely sure but I think the super cheyenne had wood grain dash bezel , wood decal glove box door, wood grain door panels, ash tray wood decal, vinyl headliner, houndsooth seat cover,Guage package,tilt wheel,Fact.AC,power steering,rear cargo light,radio,outside included chrome trim around windshield and rear window( rear slider)Chrome around vent windows,tailgate marker with woodgrain decal,woodgrain style body moldings at the bottom and chrome with black stripe across the top sides, chrome around tail lights,accent chrome on tailgate,step bumpers and some had tinted glass, cruise control,aux. fuel tanks,Big Block engines

1972 C20 cheyenne Super 402 BB/400 turbo LWB A/C Tilt, Cruise Control, Saddle tanks, Tach
My Home Page
Better to burn out than it is to rust
franko72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 10:45 PM   #3
1969 GMC

can't forget the stainless trim on the tailgate handle that the Cheyenne did not have, just the Cheyenne Super.
1969 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 12:17 PM   #4
Harold Shepard

Straight from GM.... April 1971 new package avaiable Cheyenne Super Option production code YE9.. Features all of the options included in the Cheyenne Option Z84 with the addition of the following: Bright hub caps RPO p03, except dual wheel, body upper side moldings RPO B85 - fleetside only, bright metal tailgate latch- fleetside models only, cloth and vinyl seat trim- bench seats only, houndstooth pattern in parchment and black, blue and black, and olive and black- replaces all vinyl Z84 trim, color-keyed floor carpet- black, blue or olive, instrument cluster with RPO Z53 guages and wood grained cluster face, glove box door name plate- Cheyenne super, wood grain treatment on glove box door. Interior codes: Code 2 blue/black, Code 8 olive/ black, Code 9 Parchment/ black.... Production began in April of 1971.... Available on all series 10-30 pickups and chassis cabs. Information taken from sales flyer/ad from GM.
Harold Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 08:23 PM   #5
72 Super

The tailgate handle on the 71 Cheyenne Supers where chrome.The 72 Supers had a painted handle with stainless cover on them.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:57 PM   #6
peeches72chevytruck

got a 72 cheyenne long bed, c10 super for sale in missouri
is not 4x4 though
peeches72chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 12:23 AM   #7
JQ-72

There is a common myth that Cheyenne Supers came equipped with tilt wheel, tachometer, bucket seats, etc. This is not necessarily so. The CS package was more of an appearance package. All extra cost options had to be ordered seperate. H Shepard is correct in what he listed (from GM). I have seen several CS trucks optioned in several different ways. I once saw one with V8, manual trans, manual steering, manual brakes, and no a/c !!

Joshua
JQ-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 10:38 AM   #8
Harold Shepard

is correct about the options being seperate animals, in that you could chose to have the truck in any way you wanted it. I had a 1972 Cheyenne that was non air, three speed, 350, ps, pb- A friend had a super that only had power steering and 350, another friend has custom deluxe with air, tilt, ps, pb, posi, am/fm,overloads and factory build sheet. Another aquaintence had 396, hub caps and automatic. rest of the truck was plain jane. It all depends on what one wanted to spend and what purpose the truck was to serve. One of my good friends is a big f--d man and recently discovered that late '70s ford customs could actually be optioned with trim as were the XLT trucks, it was simply based on what boxes you checked when you ordered the truck- he has custom with factory XLT wide chrome and trim package, should not be able to do this but build sheet shows what po did at dealership. I would love to see a true short step with Cheyenne or Super option, literature indicates it was possible but I have never seen one personally, has anyone else? Sorry for the long reply
Harold Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 03:21 PM   #9
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Back in "the day", if I had the money and wanted to buy a new truck, instead of a car, I would have gone the sleeper route, like a big block and a 3-speed with overdrive, no power and no air. Been hard to do with a Super.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 05:53 PM   #10
silvertonguedevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ-72
There is a common myth that Cheyenne Supers came equipped with tilt wheel, tachometer, bucket seats, etc. This is not necessarily so. The CS package was more of an appearance package. All extra cost options had to be ordered seperate. H Shepard is correct in what he listed (from GM). I have seen several CS trucks optioned in several different ways. I once saw one with V8, manual trans, manual steering, manual brakes, and no a/c !!

Joshua
I wish that wasn't a myth but I have heard it too and unfortunately it isn't true. I have a '72 Cheyenne Super and it came with 350/T350, PS, PB and rear slider window. No AM/FM, tilt or buckets.

My Chevy trucks, past and present:

1962 C10 SB Fleetside
1964 C10 LB Fleetside BBW
1966 C10 SB Fleetside
1966 C10 SB Fleetside BBW
1968 C10 SB Fleetside
1971 C10 LB Fleetside
1971 C10 SB Fleetside
1972 C10 SB Fleetside Cheyenne
1972 C10 SB Fleetside Cheyenne Super
1972 C10 LB Fleetside Cheyenne Super
1974 C20 Cheyenne
1979 K5 Blazer Cheyenne
1982 K10 SB Fleetside Custom Deluxe
1982 K10 SB Fleetside Scottsdale
1986 C10 SB Fleetside Silverado
2008 Silverado 1500 4x4
silvertonguedevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 07:42 PM   #11
KlifB

Re: Question about Cheyenne Super equipment?

My 72 1/2 ton Cheyenne Super was bought new from Bruner Chevrolet in Texas, it is a lwb solid red, black vinyl top, 400 w/auto, total package w/tilt, tach, headliner, A/C, bed light, pass thru window and whatever else that came with the package. Other than the vinyl top which I have never seen on any other 72 it had 2 other distinctive features I haven't seen. It had a pull out throttle control on the dash and had Air ride suspension on the rear. This truck came directly off the showroom like this. Has anyone else ever seen these features.
KlifB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:11 PM   #12
jocko

Welcome Klif. Air-ride (if you mean air bags inside the coils) would be dealer, or more likely, previous owner, add-on. All the items listed in your first sentence are not part of the Cheyenne Super package - they are all separate options ordered by the original owner in addition to the YE9 Cheyenne Super package. Cargo lamp and headliner came in at the Cheyenne (only) level and carried into the Super package. I'm not sure factory offered a vinyl top - but some places could put them on at the dealer. Sounds like quite a truck - got any pics? Manual throttle is a fairly rare option, and I haven't seen many 72's with them. If it's not called out on your SPID as "manual throttle", it was probably swapped in from another, likely earlier, truck.

However - since you mention it rolled out of the showroom like this - are you the original owner? Please show us the SPID when you can. Take care and welcome! Below is the only vinyl top I've ever seen on these trucks. Sure like this one!
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:22 PM   #13
garyd1961

Don't know if this has been mentioned or not but my 71 Cheyenne Super I use to own came with a manual trans, 3OTT. I sure do miss that truck.
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 10:36 PM   #14
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlifB View Post
My 72 1/2 ton Cheyenne Super was bought new from Bruner Chevrolet in Texas, it is a lwb solid red, black vinyl top, 400 w/auto, total package w/tilt, tach, headliner, A/C, bed light, pass thru window and whatever else that came with the package. Other than the vinyl top which I have never seen on any other 72 it had 2 other distinctive features I haven't seen. It had a pull out throttle control on the dash and had Air ride suspension on the rear. This truck came directly off the showroom like this. Has anyone else ever seen these features.
Welcome to the site. If you read the thread you will see even back in '04 the site had awesome facts on these trucks. There were no packages of options back then for a Cheyenne Super. Of the options you have mentioned, the only ones that were part of the Cheyenne Super trim level were headliner and bed light (cargo lamp). Those were also included with Cheyenne trim. All the other options were stand alone and available on even the base model. The vinyl top was a GM accessory and so were air shocks. A Cheyenne Super could have the base 6cyl/3spd and a Custom could have 402/TH400

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 02:00 PM   #15
SoCoC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd1961 View Post
Don't know if this has been mentioned or not but my 71 Cheyenne Super I use to own came with a manual trans, 3OTT. I sure do miss that truck.
Here's my 72 Cheyenne Super 350ci, 3 on the tree, has tinted glass, 3.73 gears, power steering and power disc brakes. Also has the houndstooth bench seat, wood inserts, etc. but no A/C.
Attached Images

SoCoC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:24 AM   #16
KlifB

A special thanks to Jocko and Special-K for the info on the 72 w/vinyl top I asked about. Here is some history on the truck. In the same day sometime in the first couple of months in 1972 My Dad and I bought a new truck each, mine was a yellow and white ¾ ton and my Dad bought the afore mentioned all red w/vinyl top ½ ton. Both were Cheyenne Supers, but had several differentess, the most conspicuous mine, no tach and yellow cloth seat, his, a tach and black vinyl seats. The only dealer options we had added on either truck were pass-thru windows on each, other than that his was exactly as they sat on the showroom floor. Mine cost $3,600 even on the road and his almost $4,000.Four years later I traded mine in ( a big mistake) and a few years later my Dad died and I inherited the red ½ ton. It had just over 100k miles and was still in great shape. I liked the way it drove and used it almost exclusively for the next several years, usually with a 24” goose neck behind it, the in 1998 I was in Arizona and at 383,000 miles the 402 dropped a valve, trashing a piston wall. The local mechanic in a small town sold me a 366 tall deck which was really strong and proved a great fit for the truck. In 2000 I moved to the city and sold the truck to someone in Fort Worth and ever so often I think I would like to have it back, It was a great truck. Again, thanks all for the info, I’ve always wondered about that truck and it’s strange configurations.
KlifB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:37 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

It's possible the dealer added things before putting them on the floor. You say your truck had a yellow seat? That must have been a dealer upgrade because there was never yellow upholstery offered. They would have added that vinyl top to your dad's truck because that was not an RPO, but was an GM accessory upfit. Both trucks should have come with herringbone seat cloth. Often a dealer would swap from one truck to another t make a sale and they buyer of the truck missing the feature taken never knew better,

I bought my first truck off the OK Used Car lot in '73. Used but like new. Not a scratch in the bed...$2,800 on the road. I know it had a plaid seat but didn't know I had a Highlander till I bought one in '88. It had exceptions to the packages, such as 3spd and solid color with no lower trim

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote