The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
streetmaster42

Want a stepper instead of a fleetside for my 76 GMC

While i have my shortbox torn down once again, trying to replace the cab corners and rockers, a thought came over me about making my 76 shortbox into a stepper. Seen one a long time ago that was built out of wood that didnt look all the bad, atleast to me. Just thought id throw it on her to get some oppinions and maybe some advice on dementions of the of the box section that the fenders bolt to. The main reason i thought of wood is because trying to find a good stepside bed anywere around PA will be inpossible, so why not build one. I want to build the bed part out of wood, and install some metal fenders on it. It would be kinda like the old woodie cars from the past. I figured that way i could put some stack up behind the cab, a stained oak bed, with some painted fenders, a nice top on the bed. A lot of guys put wooden floor panels in there bed, so what would be so bad if the hole bed were made of mostly wood.
streetmaster42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:04 PM   #2
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Re: Want a stepper instaed of a fleetside for my 76 GMC

Hmmm, I think I would drive out of state for a steel bed....JMO....
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:49 PM   #3
Ivan D.
glamoros piece o' lowlife

That's actually a pretty cool idea, I put wood stakes on my truck just so it looks different What dimensions you wanna know of the bed box, pretty much everything?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:53 PM   #4
streetmaster42

I just need the deminsions on the box part of the bed, length, height, width. I can purchace all the side support pieces from LMC truck and just bolt them to the bed just for looks to make it look authentic. I have a good fleetside bed in my gerage that came with new sides, a good floor, that i tore apart again due to rust :barf. I dont want a (cookie cutter project) so if i can get some demensions on here, i wont have to chase one down the road to gettem LOL. Id like to build the box out of oak, and maybe stick stainless on the sides with a painted fender.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:49 PM   #5
Ivan D.
glamoros piece o' lowlife

Box itself is 80" long, 50" wide, and 20" tall, at least that's what mine measures at. May I suggest that you bolt your fenders and steps straight to the oak sides (do not cover them in sheetmetal), and then use stainless for the tailgate and the wall right behind the cab and the inside walls of the fenders.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:41 PM   #6
streetmaster42

ThanX for those demensions there (Ivan D). I can build the box with oak, and put a good coating on it so it will last, or if i get creative enough i can build the floor out of oak, and make the sides with 1/4" aluminum sheet. plus some day if decide to fit some fat meets with a 4-link, all i have to do is shape the box differently,
Old 11-15-2007, 05:15 PM   #7
bluex

Re: Want a stepper instead of a fleetside for my 76 GMC

I have a 84 model stepper bed I want to get rid of......

To bad your so far off.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:27 PM   #8
Pyrotechnic

Re: Want a stepper instead of a fleetside for my 76 GMC

I believe LMC sells all the sheet metal to build a stepside bed from the ground up. Not sure if thats in your budget but if you can't find anything rust free, it's an option.
Pyrotechnic is offline   Reply With Quote