The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
BIG ORANGE

what is the cause and cure??

If I let the 69 set for a week in the shop the fuel back feeds out of the fuel line and clear filter back to the fuel pump, not going into the crankcase or anything like that. To get it to crank I have to remove the gas cap and prime the carb. I have never seen this before. Have any of you?

Things happen for a reason!
BIG ORANGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Re: what is the cause and cure??

That is a little bit strange. What type of fuel filter are you using. Some of the inlines have a check valve that only lets fuel go in one direction.

The strange thing is that there should be enough fuel in the float bowl to get the engine to light even if the fuel line is empty. It may not stay running for long but it should start. What carb? It is possible that the float bowl is draining fuel through the base and into the intake.

You also need to have a vented cap if you don't already or some way to vent the fuel tank.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:01 PM   #3
GMtrucknut!!

by chance does it have a quadrajet carb on it ? If it does the primary well could be leaking and causing your problem.
GMtrucknut!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
towbar

Location: Marshall, NC....heart of the Appalachians.....aka, Gods country!!

have the same problem with an edelbrock carb, usually about 2 week sit time, then have to prime to avoid running the battery down cranking so long. Have a carter fuel pump, some -6an lines, a Russell fuel filter with no check valve. Been wondering the same thing and how to fix it?
towbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
Longhorn 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMtrucknut!! View Post
by chance does it have a quadrajet carb on it ? If it does the primary well could be leaking and causing your problem.
Great question. One reason I got rid of the Q-Jet. They make welch plugs for the bottom of the well and rubber plugs to go in the throttle plate too. They are temporary fixes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by towbar View Post
have the same problem with an edelbrock carb, usually about 2 week sit time, then have to prime to avoid running the battery down cranking so long. Have a carter fuel pump, some -6an lines, a Russell fuel filter with no check valve. Been wondering the same thing and how to fix it?
Have never seen that with an Edelbrock or Carter 96xx as there are no gaskets or bores below the bowl assembly.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: what is the cause and cure??

Mechanical pump has a diaphragm in it doesn't? Could be leaking back through it.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #7
low&slow
Account Suspended

I have the same problem with my truck. It has a 650 double pump holley, pressure gauge, and a new clear fuel filter. I have to pour a bit of gas in the carb about 2-3 times before gas actually gets pumped all the way too the carb. While doing all that, I leave my gas cap off, because for some reason the gas tank builds up a lot of pressure.

I never had this problem with my other truck and the longest it sat was 4 months without being started and then fired right up. Its pretty embarrassing having to do this every time with some neighbors that like to watch me cause the truck is really loud.

Anyways, hoping someone can find a cure to this ongoing problem.
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

I think it's your fuel pump it has a valve to keep from bleeding back and its not doing its job
Posted via Mobile Device

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #9
BIG ORANGE

Well I see I'm not the only one with this issue, The complete fuel system is new and yes to the edelbrock carb also. I'm gonna change the fuel filter out and see if that helps. Ya let me know what you guy's do also, maybe together w can figure this out, check back w yall in a few days w a update!
Thanks
Donnie

Things happen for a reason!
BIG ORANGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #10
69GWC

My 70 does this as well, it has a edelbrock on it. Its a pain if it sets more then 3/4 days.
Posted via Mobile Device
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #11
MagmaJct

To the OP and others...

My understanding is that the gas cap is designed to allow vacuum to pull air into the tank to allow for fuel consumption. If the tank is collapsing under vacuum with the engine running/driving, you may have to look into a new cap.

As far as the tank pressurizing, this is probably an issue with the evap system being disabled.

I have a Carter AFB (Edelbrock 1405 with the electric choke kit installed) that is tough to start if left sitting more than a week. I suspect the fuel in the float bowl is evaporating. These carbs were not designed to reduce emissions.

The C10 and the Super Beetle run, the Fastback is just not there yet!

Please visit my Super Beetle and Fastback profile on TheSamba.
MagmaJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #12
luvbowties

Smile Re: what is the cause and cure??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagmaJct View Post
To the OP and others...

My understanding is that the gas cap is designed to allow vacuum to pull air into the tank to allow for fuel consumption. If the tank is collapsing under vacuum with the engine running/driving, you may have to look into a new cap.

As far as the tank pressurizing, this is probably an issue with the evap system being disabled.

I have a Carter AFB (Edelbrock 1405 with the electric choke kit installed) that is tough to start if left sitting more than a week. I suspect the fuel in the float bowl is evaporating. These carbs were not designed to reduce emissions.
With an electric choke, this problem can usually be minimized by tightening up on the choke-enrichment-adjustment.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #13
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: what is the cause and cure??

Just another thought.

Donnie since you mentioned you had to take the cap off and vent the tank it maybe that the tank is sucking the gas back into the tank after sitting like the coolant in the recovery tank. Have u tried leaving the gas cap off when you park it to see what it does? I had a old Chevy Luv truck that I had to take the vent line loose to get to run if it was less than a 1/2 tank. It was pulling so much vacume it would kill the engine.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:18 PM   #14
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Get a vented gas cap... your '69 originally came with one, but someone could have replaced it with a non-vented cap over the years.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:47 PM   #15
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
I think it's your fuel pump it has a valve to keep from bleeding back and its not doing its job
Posted via Mobile Device
Yep, the check valves in the fuel pump aren't holding a seal as well as they should and letting it bleed back. Not an issue if you drive it daily but it presents a problem if you let it set and it's universal across the board on carburetored engines with fuel pumps that have some miles on them. My Mom's 70 something Ford 300 acts the same way if it sits several days. Drive it every day and it fires right off and goes.

As far as Cap goes, if the cap isn't venting it will create a vacuum just as MagmaJct suggested. I had a lot of trouble getting a properly vented cap for one vehicle I had and went through three top brand caps before getting one that worked. The pressure you experience is from the sides of the tank popping back out in place after being sucked in by the vacuum of the fuel pump. The only way the tank in these trucks would build pressure in the tank is if you had the truck sitting out in the hot sun for a length of time and the heat vaporized the gas enough so that it built up vapor pressure in the tank, but then you wouldn't have a starting problem as the pressure would push fuel up the fuel line to the carb most likely.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:19 AM   #16
hatred

Yep, fuel pump. Mine did it until I changed it, now it never does it.

I upset whiners too....
hatred is offline   Reply With Quote