The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2010, 08:07 PM   #1
knightowl73
TUKE-NoBullChit Customs owner

Exclamation power steering problem PLEASE HELP!

Well i decided to finally fix the leaky power steering pump yesterday but it didnt go that well. i found out that i have a 73 power steering pump, so the nice one my bud gave me wouldnt work. i found one that would, rented the tool, put it all together, and went to return the tool.
well on the trip there it was kinda workin at first, then was fine by the time i got to oriellys. just after returning the tool and pulling out of the parkin lot my power steering just went out at once. damn near twisted my wrist tryna catch it.
so this mornin i went and bought a new power steering pump and put it on and still nothin. i blew out both lines after r taking them off and still nothin. the original pump worked fine just leaked, so now im outta 50 bucks and instead of a leak i just dont have any power steering at all. and i swear it is harder to turn than any manual steering old truck ive ever driven, its almost as if its fighting me when i try to turn. even considered maybe puttin the hoses on wrong. but its not even possible. has anyone ever had this problem before? the only thing left is that the steering box is bad, but would it just go out all of a sudden like that? i figured its supposed to get worse over time thing.
Posted via Mobile Device
OWNER @ NBC Customs...No Bull Chit....'92 GMC C2500 ECSB 350/TH400, '57 FORD SKYLINER (My dad's for now, but its really mine-you'll NEVER see a cooler car at 7 years old lol), '42 ford rat rod shop truck (new project), 91 CHRYSLER VOYER MINIVAN (shop van for now)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/nbc.customs

knightowl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
HOGDADDY

Re: power steering problem PLEASE HELP!

Did you turn the steeering wheel lock to lock to bleed the air out?
HOGDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
irishman999

Have you watched the movie "Christine"? Find a track dozer and park it on top of it because that sounds wild. I just put a power steering pump in my 85 with no issues, not even bled.
irishman999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
knightowl73

yeah ive never heard of it before and my dad hasnt either. right now im just riding with the now broken pump mounted with no pulley or belt.ll attempt trying another pump hoping it is just coincedence but i dont really think itll fix it. and i did turn it lock to lock repeatefly and even hoped divng it might help, but it never got better apparently i dont have many other things to checkout, so after the second new pump is on if it doesnt fix it i guess ill have to find another steering box and hope i dont end up with a sloppy one.
Posted via Mobile Device
OWNER @ NBC Customs...No Bull Chit....'92 GMC C2500 ECSB 350/TH400, '57 FORD SKYLINER (My dad's for now, but its really mine-you'll NEVER see a cooler car at 7 years old lol), '42 ford rat rod shop truck (new project), 91 CHRYSLER VOYER MINIVAN (shop van for now)

Old 09-17-2010, 07:52 PM   #5
knightowl73

will the steering box from a 91 4wd suburban work on my truck? my buddy has one he is using for parts he said i could have whatever i wanted off it. i already grabbed everything i thought was worth somethin to me, but its a freebie if itll work on my '86 c10 frame

Old 09-17-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

You should probably start checking things before throwing more parts at it. The inside of a pump is pretty simple so I don't see one not working if its got fluid.

Maybe try taking the low pressure hose end off the pump and let it push fluid into a 2 liter pop bottle for example to see if fluid is moving.

Last edited by 72lb4x4; 09-17-2010 at 09:29 PM.
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 09:37 PM   #7
HOGDADDY

Maybe you got trash from old lines in there. The hoses wear from the inside. did you use new hoses or re-uses old ones?
HOGDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:21 AM   #8
knightowl73

yes i have figured out that i have pressure already when i cracked the hose at the steering box and crunk it up and made that big freakin mess.

and i reused the old hoses, but this last time i put a new piece for the return, and i blew out the pressure one, didnt seem like a retriction there at all.