The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2015, 02:51 PM   #1
GMJimmy

Help with my new to me 70 C10

Being new to the classic truck scene I need a lot of help with my 70 SWB step side. I'm a mechanic but not familiar with a few things and would appreciate some help. When I bought this truck I was told by the seller that it was originally a swb truck but later learned that it was a long box. Yes I have dealt with him for that little fib and it wasn't pretty. The frame cut was cleverly disguised and I'm in the middle of doing some work to the frame to strengthen it and after that I'd like to change the leaf spring suspension to coils and truck arms. The rear gears are 3.07 non posi and I'm planning on an e rod engine and a 4L65e transmission and a posi 3.73 rear gear. With all that said I'm wondering if I might just look for a frame with coils and a 3.73 rear end. It would probably cost much less than buying all this stuff aftermarket but not too many of them around. After that I guess I'm going to look for some buckets and a console. I don't have a lot of space to work on this thing either so maybe the bolt on's would be a better way to go for me. Anybody have a frame or any thoughts?
Thanks.
GMJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:06 PM   #2
Mike C

Re: Help with my new to me 70 C10

You are correct that a complete frame would be cheaper. Short steps with coils and 3.73 shouldn't be that hard to find as a donor, and stepsides are WAY cheaper than fleets. I'd just reenforce the frame with fish plates and move on down the road enjoying your truck.

My truck is a leaf truck. I dropped it with a DJM flip and a 72 5 lug axle. Your 70 should be easier to convert with the longer (most likely) axle housing. I did the ECE 5 lug swap in the front. Any reason you have to get away from the leafs?

68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:08 PM   #3
hugger6933

I've got three trucks [of the 5 I'm gonna build] that are long beds to short change overs. I have the stuff and know how but I prefer to CHANGE a frame as to cut one. I know every one has their own thing but I think it is better for me time wise to just change it as I have little time or shop space to deal with it. I work in that shop all day every day and it is like when I get an extra moment I don't want to work there on my truck doing something where I could be better spending the time elsewhere on the truck.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:07 PM   #4
mechanicalman

Some pics of the frame splicing would help to determine if repairs are reasonable. If it was cut and spliced in front of the rear cross-member, and if the frame dimensions are right on, some "frame stiffeners" might be the ticket.

Depends on where the splice was done, how it was done, and if you can repair it proper and be able to install the rear suspension cross-member.

Might be easier to just get a SWB 71-72 rolling chassis with 5 bolts. Gets pricey though, if you can repair then the arms and rear ends are easier to get out of long beds.

If you are replacing the frame and can't find a shorty, get a 71-72 parts longbed and shorten that. Easy when it's apart, and the frame stiffeners make it doable. If you can't get a shorty; this way you get 5 lugs and disc brakes.
Attached Images

Last edited by mechanicalman; 04-26-2015 at 10:13 PM.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:40 PM   #5
GMJimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
You are correct that a complete frame would be cheaper. Short steps with coils and 3.73 shouldn't be that hard to find as a donor, and stepsides are WAY cheaper than fleets. I'd just reenforce the frame with fish plates and move on down the road enjoying your truck.

My truck is a leaf truck. I dropped it with a DJM flip and a 72 5 lug axle. Your 70 should be easier to convert with the longer (most likely) axle housing. I did the ECE 5 lug swap in the front. Any reason you have to get away from the leafs?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm still not sure which direction to go. I guess finding a decent frame soon will be the deciding factor but at the moment all I want to do is get it on the road. I want to get rid of the leaf springs for a better ride and the engine I'm planning on (LS3 erod with a 4L65e) will work better with the truck arm suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
I've got three trucks [of the 5 I'm gonna build] that are long beds to short change overs. I have the stuff and know how but I prefer to CHANGE a frame as to cut one. I know every one has their own thing but I think it is better for me time wise to just change it as I have little time or shop space to deal with it. I work in that shop all day every day and it is like when I get an extra moment I don't want to work there on my truck doing something where I could be better spending the time elsewhere on the truck.
Yeah I'm thinking it will be much less expensive to replace the frame because the rear end is worn out and it's a 3.07 and I need 3.73's as well which is likely what I'll find in a used frame. Still looking for one though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Some pics of the frame splicing would help to determine if repairs are reasonable. If it was cut and spliced in front of the rear cross-member, and if the frame dimensions are right on, some "frame stiffeners" might be the ticket.

Depends on where the splice was done, how it was done, and if you can repair it proper and be able to install the rear suspension cross-member.

Might be easier to just get a SWB 71-72 rolling chassis with 5 bolts. Gets pricey though, if you can repair then the arms and rear ends are easier to get out of long beds.

If you are replacing the frame and can't find a shorty, get a 71-72 parts longbed and shorten that. Easy when it's apart, and the frame stiffeners make it doable. If you can't get a shorty; this way you get 5 lugs and disc brakes.
My frame was cut just behind the rear cab mounts and was butt welded (no fish plates). The guy used body filler to disguise the imperfections and painted it. Only thing that made me get in there and remove the paint was the sticker on the glove box door looked like it was tampered with so I got in there with a wire wheel and found the splice. I think I can weld in some plates and also box it in that area and it will be fine but I'd still rather find a frame with a good 12 bolt 3.73 rear end.
Anybody have one?
GMJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote