The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
Improbcat

Making an s-10 transmission work?

Can anyone ID this s-10 5-spd transmission and let me know what I would need to make it work behind the stock 230 I6 in my 64 Chevy? I have a chance to get it cheap but don't want to buy it and find I need hundreds in additional parts to get it to bolt in. It has an electronic speedo if that helps.

Improbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
Lugnutz65

Re: Making an s-10 transmission work?

That is a T5 post 1987 S10 (or GMC S15 - same thing). If you have the TAG # that would help identify the gearing. The number would be 1352-XXXX. The numbers that are cast into the case or tailshaft are NOT the same as the actual TAG#. With an electric speedo drive, it would probably be 1987 or newer. I cannot tell if it is WC or not. I'd need to see the input shaft side of the case to tell what the countershaft bearing looks like. See my website and look at the T5 page along the top banner and you will see a whole bunch of info about the T5.
Before you buy:
1. Realize that you will likely need an adapter plate which costs around $160.
2. You should make sure it shifts smoothly and turns freely in all gears.
3. You should figure out what the 1st and 5th gears are - see my website for instructions. The 0.76 and 0.78 and 0.72 5th gears are very nice to have. Many S10 T5s have a 0.86 5th gear and those are less desirable but still worth having if you want a little better highway MPG. The 0.86 5th gear is not bad coupled with a 3.42 rear.
4. The replacement parts (namely gears) for a non-WC T5 are not easy to find since they are no longer made. WC T5 parts are readily available. That's why a WC would be a better purchase.
5. The T5 from many 93 and up GM cars and trucks has a FORD pattern case and will not match up to your factory Chevy bell. Beware before you buy! Make sure it has the "ears" on the case where it bolts to the bell housing.

Send me a PM with your phone number and I'd be happy to help more if I can.

Jay

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
Improbcat

Ouch, that adaptor is more than I;'d be paying for the trans. I'm not in a hurry to swap so I guess I'll pass. I'll probably do it down the line, but not right now.

If anyone in the RI area wants a trans cheap, this is the ad I was looking at. Don't know anything more about it as I didn't call him or look at it.
http://providence.craigslist.org/pts/4012307740.html
Improbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
padresag

one does not have to buy an adaptor to install this trans to a 230 if you are willing to do some modifications that are not that difficult. Jays way is another way of doing it. it depends on your skill level and economics
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improbcat View Post
Ouch, that adaptor is more than I;'d be paying for the trans. I'm not in a hurry to swap so I guess I'll pass. I'll probably do it down the line, but not right now.

If anyone in the RI area wants a trans cheap, this is the ad I was looking at. Don't know anything more about it as I didn't call him or look at it.
http://providence.craigslist.org/pts/4012307740.html
That trans is worth $100 if the gears are good. I sold a nice 1993 WC T5 with the 0.72 5th gear and 90K miles for $350. So I think $100 for that one is very reasonable as long as the gears are good. Chances are it needs a rebuild.

Yes, you could cut the input shaft a bit shorter and have the splines professionally machined so it would not need an adapter plate. Not sure that it would be cheaper that way, but I've read that is another way to go. However, if the T5 ever had internal damage and became unusable, then at least you would have an adapter plate that you could sell and recoup some of the initial cost.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:01 PM   #6
Sharps40
Account Suspended

I read and reread that thread...I'm still mostly confused about how hard that swap was. I think there is way too much info in the thread for my lil brain....I'm sort of a tell me which 3 parts and the order of the 7 steps and that's it. All that extra on spacers and World Class or not has had me pretty much confused. I think I finally got the bulk of it figured but I wanna talk to Langdon and source my parts from him for the install on my John Lee.

If I'm figurin right, shorten an 85ish S10 trans snouts, lengthen splines and bolt in with a 14 spline 11" dia and 1" bore disc add the right yolk and a long speedo cable and go ride.

Or direct bolt in (fuzzy on this one) a similar aged Camero trans, no shortning the snout required, swap on an S10 butt and S10 shifter for bench or leave camero butt and run buckets, same clutch, add the right yolk and long speedo cable and go ride.

Watch the gear ratios, strive for 3.3ish first and .73ish fifth and keep the 3.73 out back.

Well, that's what I think I know...we'll see when I get to talk with Da Man!

Last edited by Sharps40; 09-06-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Sharps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #7
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Read them too, they were clearer/easier. Inliners was helpful too. The lil bit I got to talk to Mr. Langdon about before I went FTX and he went Vacation, he prefers the mid 80s ish T5...I'm getting the impression that with the right parts this is rather close to a direct bolt in of only three parts not common to a stock 65 C10 manual trans truck: trans, new driven disc and modded driveshaft.
Sharps40 is offline   Reply With Quote