The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2010, 05:55 AM   #1
TDogg490

Possible New Project(s)...?

Should be writing a school paper BUT...

I currently own a 1967 C10 LWB that I love- kinda. I jumped the gun and got it painted. Looking back, there are things I wish I would have done. I really wanted to make it a MWB truck (chop ~12" from in front of the rear wheel, leave the 8" on the back).

Here's my idea: Buy a 67-72 K20 4X4 LWB truck, rip it down to frame and build it up as a daily driver with a small lift, good size tires, new drivetrain (I'm thinking iron LS engine, not sure if carb'd or FI). Essentially, make it a truck frame that can tow a boat (3200lbs boat + tandem axle trailer...so more than 4000 lbs) and also make its way up to Tahoe easily without chains during winter (I enjoy snowboarding). However, I would put my '67 body on it to keep it LWB and enjoy that truck as a daily driver.
Then... take my C10 frame and chop the 12", then take my time to build that frame (maybe dropmember front/rear; maybe RideTech or CPP front/rear... something that would be tight and sporty), and put a forged 5.3 and turbo in it (maybe with a 6 speed?) and build that truck to be a fun weekend hauler that I could take on long road trips and maybe drag once in awhile. Maybe even theme the truck to have fun with it (like aircraft theme or something.. not sure) and put the K20 body and (now chopped) bed on that. Then, I'll have a lifted truck to snow and tow, and a lowered truck to haul ass and have fun. I've always liked lifted AND lowered trucks, so this seems like the best way for me to make lemonade out of lemons.

My questions... since this is just preliminary ideas... what are some problems I could face with this? I'd need a large trans hump on my C10 cab... but would the rest of this be a fairly straight forward project? I chose K20 because I like having 3/4-ton suspension and brakes. I've driven a '96 2500 suburban (with 454!) all my driving life and I enjoy the heavy duty nature and reliability of it. I've got friends who can help me out with all different parts of the builds, but I just really wanted everyones input on this. Does it sound rational? I pretty much want to have my cake and eat it too... I love my white truck and don't want to chop it all up after getting it all done. If this works out for me, I will definitely do a build thread for both... I don't plan on throwing it together - I want to do it all right the first time (stainless brake lines, all new wiring, POR-15 frame/underside).

Plus, any suggestions for either would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading and any responses

heres my truck now
Attached Images

TDogg490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:00 AM   #2
eagleuh1

Re: Possible New Project(s)...?

Nice looking truck. The 5.3 will be nice. I'm putting 1 in my 68 C20 right now. Look at TheAlien. I think he's doing a 4x4 LS install right now. He seems to have everything figured out too. Good luck with the builds.
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote