The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-31-2012, 12:07 AM   #1
ls1nova71

Top dollar for a real nice SWB?

I know this isn't the WIW section, but just trying to get a rough idea for what absolute top dollar for a real nice truck is. I see them advertised for $30,000, but are they selling? I realize the economy isn't the greatest, and location plays into it also, but just not sure what these things are really worth. There are so many out there, it's not like they're super rare. If it were a Corvette or a COPO Camaro, I could see them bringing stupid money, but a truck? Opinions?

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
NoNeck

Re: Top dollar for a real nice SWB?

Quote:
There are so many out there, it's not like they're super rare.
A few years ago, good trucks were plentiful and could be purchased at decent prices. The exceptions being the Golden Anniversary Editions, Big Blocks and CST's and Sierra Grande's. But, in the last 3 or 4 years the market for our trucks has started to gain strength. That can be confirmed from researching the larger collector car Auctions such as Mecum or Barrett Jackson. Not to the extent of the COPO Camaros or L88 'Vettes, but a REALLY NICE fully restored short bed example can bring good money.

Even my brothers, who buy and sell cars and trucks for a living, are noticing the interest in these old trucks. They don't see a great deal of profit in trying to buy a truck cheap, then flipping it for more money.

Bottom line, a truck is only worth WHAT SOMEONE WILL PAY YOU FOR IT! If it reminds them of the truck their grandfather owned when they were kids, add the nostalgia factor. If they are trying to re-capture their youth... same thing. If they are looking to buy one as a hedge to the stock market, maybe they look at the Hemi 'Cudas.

I think with our trucks we buy them because they are easy to work on, different, look good and as everyone knows... WOMEN LIKE TRUCKS!

NoNeck

If it costs you a dollar to make a friend, KEEP THE DOLLAR.
If it costs you a friend to make a dollar, KEEP THE FRIEND.
NoNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Sure, some sell for that.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:06 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Everything is only worth what someone will pay for it. Prices for COPO Camaros and L88 Vettes aren't cast in stone and the price varies all over the place. The economy isn't an issue for top dollar vehicles because those sell to people who aren't hurting. Many well off people actually thrive more from a bad economy. These trucks can go for $45,000-50,000 or more. It all depends on the truck and who it appeals to.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
big_al_71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
Sure, some sell for that.
yes and even for more than 30k...

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:16 PM   #6
67anthony

What i have seen is top cars and trucks bring top dollar there is so much you can buy and do to a truck these days it is truly endless
67anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:27 AM   #7
VA72C10
VA72C10

Highest dollar I personally know of was a cheyenne super swb bb truck CSM restored and sold for 60k...that was about 3-4 years ago though....
Old 09-01-2012, 12:31 AM   #8
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
I know this isn't the WIW section, but just trying to get a rough idea for what absolute top dollar for a real nice truck is. I see them advertised for $30,000, but are they selling? I realize the economy isn't the greatest, and location plays into it also, but just not sure what these things are really worth. There are so many out there, it's not like they're super rare. If it were a Corvette or a COPO Camaro, I could see them bringing stupid money, but a truck? Opinions?
All is

Your just asking about general info about this truck verses buying or selling and as far as I know thats ok.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
LEEVON

I think that a $30K truck is top dollar, but I guess there would be exceptions higher and lower. As somebody else mentioned, there seems to be an interest in trucks. Many traditional hot rod types have told me that, yesterday a guy stopped by. His whole crowd has 32's, tri-fives, etc., hardly any trucks but recently there were a few bought among them. One recently, a near perfect '72 swb at the Branson auction for $14,500. It was sold a few weeks later for $25K.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
davepl

I think a particularly rare truck (let's say a short bed, big block, bucket seat, Super Cheyenne or Sierra Grande) in true Pebble Beach concours #1- status with all matching numbers could push $50K.

The problem is a truck that's -close- to that will only sell for half of that. For a perfectly restored truck that's not got that correct set of desirable options, high 20s, low 30s. And it'll take $60K of work to get it there anyway. I went through this when I was looking for my truck. I'd find a nice truck that was complete and still needed a complete restoration, but someone's cousin from work had short a respray on it so they wanted $15K for it.

It's the same old story... a particularly rare and perfect restoration will sell at auction for $40K and then everyone with a 67-72 will figure their truck is nice so must be worth $25K, and it's just not true.

Sort of like how a Hemi Cuda Convertible will sell for $150K and then every AutoTrader guy with a 318 Cuda wants his piece of the pie... but it's wrong pie.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #11
GRX

$30,000 is excessive but not unheard of. "real nice" and "SWB" don't belong in the same sentence.
But seriously ... one thing I hear often when taking the truck in my sig to shows is how old trucks in good shape are more rare than most muscle cars, and it's true. They were utilitarian vehicles which got used & abused to hell.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #12
Tinkermc

I've seen a couple go for good money and they were real good trucks, look at the price of new trucks 30-50K these old trucks can be cheaper on ins and easy to work on by Harry homeowner and I agree in hard times people who can spend good money in this line will do very well
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #13
leddzepp

A lot of folks think they can sell their vehicle based on it's potential, not it's actual condition.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #14
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

If I had money out the wazoo and was going to pay 30K on up for an antique vehicle, I'd want to make sure it was done by a professional. Most of the ones I see that are rebuilt and/or restored by individuals as a hobby just don't sell that high -unless, as mentioned by others, someone wants it really, really bad.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #15
ItsRandy

Sure am glad I haven't been building mine with the idea of selling it...I would be just a bit upside down considering how much I have spent building it.
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #16
cubber

I have lost more money than I've ever made foolin' with vehicles. I have had big 4x4's, Trans Ams, even a 70 Challenger. The best thing to do is buy one for about $1500, spend about $3k on suspension and brakes and stuff thats really useful (but unseen), leave the body alone, and then sell it for $2500 because it ain't shiny . But seriously its all about fun. I wouldn't trade the fun I've had out with my wife when making it home with a project under construction was a little dicey, or all the people I've met at shows or cruise ins or at the walmart because they thought my ride was cool, or they used to have one like it, or whatever. It is all about the fun, and the good people in this hobby. Sell one for $30k? Maybe. Keep dumping money, blood sweat, and tears into projects? Definitely and always!
Cub

2003 Chevrolet Z71 Ext. Cab
1995 Cavalier gas saver!
cubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #17
ls1nova71

I guess its just hard to say what a truck is worth to another person. I agree its only worth what someone is willing to pay, but what someone is willing to pay doesn't mean that's what its worth. I sold my last try k for 24,500, and the guy I sold it to sold it ar auction about 3 months later for 36k. I can't see this being the norm., seems like an auction fluke. That said, now the same guy wants to buy my current truck for the same price he bought the last one for and I said no, my bottom dollar was 30k. After trying to get me to sell it for less, he said he would buy it at 30. Does he know something I don't? I don't know. He may take it to auction and take a bath on it, who knows?
Posted via Mobile Device

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #18
RatRod68

Just seen more of these trucks cross the block on Mecum for 30+ within the last month or so. The auction area seems to be where the money is at. At least right now it is
D-Ranged Ford Ranger on steroids

Semper Fi
RatRod68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #19
screaminchevypickup
Laid Back

I sold my black Cheyenne super (fake) a few months ago and I got past the 30 mark.. Also turned it down many times before I sold it..
Posted via Mobile Device

Direct dealers for..

Vintage Air, Porterbuilt, Billet Specialties,Budnik wheels ,eddie motorsports, raceline wheels, intro wheels, Dakota Digital, precision, unisteer, Trimparts, and many many more... Laid Back Recreations.. Full restoration shop and full paint and body..

Kyle

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=574629
screaminchevypickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:57 PM   #20
1972SUPERSB

I believe a really nice SWB truck all restored with all the right options can go for 30k. The SWB trucks are getting harder to find for sure. If I found a really nice SWB big block cheyenne super I wouldn't mind putting down 15-20k for it. That's just me.
Posted via Mobile Device

1972 Cheyenne Super SWB 350, Auto, Bucket Seats w/Console, Tach, Factory A/C, P/S ,P/B, Tilt

1998 Chevy 1500 Ext Cab 5.7, Pewter w/blue interior
1972SUPERSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #21
big_al_71

I have already turned down 32k, 35k....from real guys ready to buy.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #22
68fixeruper

Hell send them my way lol
Posted via Mobile Device
68fixeruper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #23
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I'm just gonna say what I would consider giving for one.If it were a bone stock completely fresh restored 72 Super in a color I liked.I would consider $30,000 but it would have to be pristine and loaded.A truck built by someone for themselves would be hard to part with that much since few would build in a style I would want.Like above it's worth what someone will give for it.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #24
Coley

This is always a tricky question and answer situation.
If you have one and your a seller.....its $25-30K.....if you are looking and your a possible buyer, its maybe $15-18K
We (unfortunately) don't have any real ability to get statistics on what final sell prices vs. what the asking prices on truck groups are.
What you can do tho' is track trucks that are for sale and see where the interest tapers off on them relative to asking price.
I always watch as to how many people are bidding on something rather than what the seller is asking....I think this says a lot about reasonable and fairly accurate market value and the related interest.
Here is a good example worth watching:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-...item35c6e1e2c2
Its a nice truck (California? or? Shorty/Air,tilt, dropped, nice drivetrain,...pretty nice ready to go example IMHO.
...lets see where the interest tapers off at. I'm guessing at around $12-13k.
Then, if it doesn't sell lets see where he relists it at.
All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #25
buckskins4ever

I wount take a penny less than $28K for mine. Over $30K invested in the build. I have seen some go for well over $40K and more go for less than $10K. It really depends on taste, whats built, what your willing to take for it and what someone else is willing to pay.
buckskins4ever is offline   Reply With Quote