The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2006, 01:58 AM   #1
Army_Dude

Thermostat housing...

Ok I understand that the chrome ones are junk. The crate 350 I'm trying to tend to and see if it is up to snuff is that type. Chrome with an o-ring and leaking. I went by the zone to pick up a replacement and the only one they offer is a 45 angle and one side takes a longer bolt. Yjey don't speak car language, so they didn't understand. All they knew how to say to me was "what year, what vehicle?" So is the a cheaper route. I like the swivel one from billett spec. but can't spend close to a c-note for a thermostat housing. Think it'll seal if I can find a new o-ring. at least temporarily?

Or how about a new hose. Are all hoses preformed? To use the new one I need a hose formed different, the water neck on it now is straight and the hose goes right to it. 45 degrees throws me off.
Army_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 03:08 AM   #2
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Re: Thermostat housing...

I have a chinese made generic auto parts store replacement cast iron one. It has the 45 degree angle, like the factory one, and fits a stock hose.

Slonaker
Old 04-01-2006, 09:00 AM   #3
84slopwaggin

The new o-ring should do the trick. The surface it is applied to should be clean, straight and smooth. If it is pitted I read where you can use some silicon to fill in the pitted spots. Goodluck
84slopwaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
rgray71

I had a chrome on on my 71 and instead of using the oring I used a regular gasket and some rtv sealant. t work and still doesnt leak. Just my .02 worth.
rgray71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 10:22 AM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I went through the pains of the cheap "POTMETAL" T/stat housings with the chrome on them and I suffered greatly for a long time (leak after leak and I tried the regular gasket instead of the O-ring too). It finally ended up with the intake manifold pitted at the mounting surface. I took a file and "Drawfiled" the surface smooth again. After that I invest that nearly a "C" note to get the proper thing done right, by buying a Billet Specialties piece. Since then, I won't deal with that Feldercarb any more. Do it right or pay the price. Since the price is high, like gasoline, I will say that is my $2.00 worth--To hell with .02 because it is only taxation money.

If you want to be cheap and not leak go to the dealer and get a cast iron one. The real problem is the different alloys in the metals working against each other when they are heated up. "Galvanic corrosion" That is why the Billet pieces don't have this problem.

Last edited by piecesparts; 04-01-2006 at 10:24 AM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote