The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2005, 09:40 AM   #1
diggerbob

Hey folks..

I was gonna post a couple of jpegs of my 1970 chevy but got an error message inidcating that the file is too big. I hadn't intended to do a frame off on this old truck but somehow the project took on a life of its own and five years later, I finally got to drive it again.

Me and my truck live in Bartlett, TN along with a woman, a cat and two brittanies.
diggerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 03:15 PM   #2
barn9
Half a bubble off!

Welcome diggerbob! Here is a link to a FREE downloadable program that a lot of us use to resize pics, it is a great little program for working with pics in general, easy to use too, I wouldn't be without it myself:
http://www.irfanview.com/

Old 04-09-2005, 05:03 PM   #3
diggerbob

thanks-now here are pics

The good looking one is my pal digger dawg.
Attached Images

Last edited by diggerbob; 04-09-2005 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:27 PM   #4
HerLonghorn71
Account Suspended

from Canada!!
Nice Truck and what a cute dog!!
HerLonghorn71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 01:50 AM   #5
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Welcome to the boards diggerbob.Great looking truck.
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 04:52 AM   #6
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

Sweet looking ride. We need some more info on it?
-Later
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 09:28 AM   #7
diggerbob

truck details

I bought this truck 15 years ago. It had running lights on the cab and the windsheild flange was so rusty that I would have to dig rust out of my eyes whenever I hit a big bump in the road. The old girl had few options except for a 307. I put a 350 tranny and a GM 285 horse 350 in it several years back which made it a good boat hauler though my gas mileage was the pits. About 14 years ago, I brought Digger Dawg (then a pup) home with me in this truck.

Frame off work began 7 years ago when I handed the keys to my truck and a $1,000 check to a man that was supposed to replace the cab and doors and deliver it back to me in primer. Next time I saw my truck it was torn completly apart. The cab that Mr. redneck had selected for me was as rusty as the one I had and he never found a door.

For the next two years, I spent most of my weekends driving 100 miles each way to work on my truck. Redneck rarely lifted a finger to help and when he did, he would screw something up. I located a a/c cab off of a 72 that looked great but it turned out that the right hinge pillar was out of wack due to an accident. Redneck put it on his frame machine and presto! Cab was even more screwed up.

Finally, after 2 years, the local PPG rep recommended a couple of guys to finish my truck. It was a pleasure to see my truck on a roll back car hauler headed back towards home. Bye Bye red neck!!

My new guys worked like gang busters...for a couple of weeks. Then, one of them quit coming over to his partners house where my truck was located. The cab went to a local chevy dealer and was pulled on their frame machine to get it lined up right.

The other guy and I worked on it most every weekend for the next 2 years and panel painted bed, doors, cab. Finally, we started bolting her back together. Oops, right fender and door wouldn't go on right. Cab in need of some more frame machine. Girlfriend stages revolt, owner needing heavy sedation.

Discouraged, my body man/painter and I went our separate ways. Truck goes back on roll back to another shop and stays for a couple of months. No progress.

I located a shop in Millington, TN that does frame work. Sid, the owner happens to be building a 72 . The body shop next door agrees to paint my truck after Sid gets her all lined up.

In two months time, my truck was finished. I have no idea how much money I put in this thing but she is close to the way I want her now. She still has the 285 horse crate motor but I put a 700R tranny in. I robbed a serpentine setup off of a 1997 so now I have a hot alternator and a modern style a/c/ compressor. She has the correct tilt wheel for the era and a tach dash that I pulled out of a big GMC fifth wheel rig several years ago. I liked the look of the bucket seats and console in the CST/Cheyennes so decided to bolt that stuff in too. OF course, since it now looked like a CST rather than a C-10, I put CST emplems on her but opted to paint my tailgate letters rather than put on the fancy aluminum tailgate trim piece. The wheels that are shown in the pictures have since been repaced by corvette style ralleyes.

The picture of ole Digger Dawg riding in "his" truck was taken last fall. I had to put him down a couple of days after the picture was taken. He was as good a dog as I have ever had. At least he finally got to make a last ride in his nearly finished truck.

Here is a picture of me and Digger with a bass that he caught a couple of years ago and the new pair of Brits that I got several month ago. The little one eyed feller had a run in with a cat in case ya'll are curious. I sure do love bird dawgs and my 1970 truck. Reckon I might be a redneck?
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2005, 03:50 PM   #8
HugrOrang71
Bite me, import boy

The classic story of a man, a dog and his truck. It doesn't get any better than that .

Welcome from another new member. That is a very nice truck. It looks like all the trouble you had getting it put together really paid off.
HugrOrang71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 04:34 PM   #9
diggerbob

I don't know whether it was worth it or not HugrO...

but I am glad to be shed of some of the characters I met during the ordeal.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:33 PM   #10
SassyChevyGirl
Account Suspended

Hi and welcome to the board! Sweet truck
SassyChevyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 03:37 PM   #11
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 07:53 PM   #12
68Stepbed

NICE truck digger. Sounds like you had a pretty rough ordeal. My dad and I had a similar deal with his Monte Carlo. We finally found a guy that was as excited about painting the car as we were. That makes the whole project go easier.

Welcome to the site. I'm a fellow Tennesseean. Are you coming to the Grand Rod Run this weekend.

I like the dogs. My dog is a standard poodle(the big ones).

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:24 PM   #13
widow_maker
This space for lease

Sweet truck - judging by the results, I'd say all the time and trouble was well worth it.

1972 K-20 l/f 383/350 a/c "custom camper"
1987 V-20 l/f Silverado - project
widow_maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 10:23 PM   #14
diggerbob

Great Rod Run?

Is this the same event as the Chevy Show in Memphis(Millington) TN this weekend?
Old 04-15-2005, 01:55 PM   #15
68Stepbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerbob
Is this the same event as the Chevy Show in Memphis(Millington) TN this weekend?

Nope, It's just an open rod run in Pigeon Forge. The Super Chevy Show is in Bristol, TN at the dragsrip. Bristol is about two hours away from Knoxville.

I wasn't sure where Bartlett was. Your on the other end of the state.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote