The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-08-2010, 01:53 AM   #1
colin_havens

An amazing weekend

I just had to share my experiences this past weekend, as this has been one of the most rewarding ones I have had in a long time, and one I will not forget soon. This may be lengthly, and hope it doesnt sound like Im bragging, because Im honestly still in shock. None of this would have even happened without my car club and the knowldge I got from the members on this board. what am I talking about might you ask? This is the story of the maiden voyage of my truck since the rebuild to its first big show, the Relaxed Atmosphere Allstar Event show in Millington, TN this past weekend.

I actually finished the build and worked out all the problems with the 67 about mid July, and since then have been going over through it to see if anything would come up before I took my big trip. A couple of trips around town and a couple of cruise-ins showed a binding throttle, which I fixed, and nothing more. Last week I spent doing some poliching and cleaning, and stayed up till 2 am hand glazing and waxing the old girl until the paint shined better than it had in years. The entire time my wife said I was crazy, since I was leaving in the morning for about a 250 mile drive, and was going to just get the truck dirty. I wnt to bed wore out that night, but with a grin on my face from knowing that the 67 was ready and i was finally getting to put some miles on her, seeign as she had not been more than 10 minutes from the house in 2 years. I was excited to say the least.

I woke up early the next morning, packed my clothes, cleaning supplies, and emergency supplies (tools, airline, unions, ect.) into the truck, and hit the road. It was a beautiful cool morning, so I rolled the windows down and just enjoyed the sun on my face and sound of my exhaust. The first hour or so I was nervous, watching the gauges for any signs of overheating, alternator failure, bag failure, ect. I finally settled in, and just cranked the radio and enjoyed the ride. It felt so good to finally get out and really cruise in my old truck, I just cant explain it. I was greeted with people passing me and waving or giving me a thumbs up, and one old man screamed at me "That truck is awesome!!!" I was proud of what I had built, and finally ariving in Memphis at one of my friends house I got to show James the finished product that he had helped me with during my build.

After we looked over the truck, and I brought my things inside, another friend of ours Jody came over, and we headed over to see Ricky Neal of Possum Killer Garage to check out the recent hotrod project he and his son just finished, and for Ricky to lay some custom striping on Jody's GMC. Wish I had not forgot my camera fat James, cause it was awesome to see the master at work. Here are a couple of pics:

What more could I ask for, a nice cruise on a beautiful day, and hangout out for an afternoon at a read deal hotrod shop. Wait, a cruise in in Southaven to hang out before we headed to the show in the morning was a perfect way to cap off the night. It had been a great day. We parked my 67 and James 48 in his carport, and got some sleep as we had an early morning, meeting up with the car club at 5:20 in the morning.

We got up EARLY in the morning, as we wanted to get to the show early so we had our pic of where to park instead of being put just anywhere. We were literally the first ones there, arriving at 6:15 in the morning. This was not my idea, but hey, why not. After shivering outside of the gates for a little bit, we drove in, filled out out regrestration forms, and parked in a great spot where we set up our tents and chairs, cleaned up our rides, and watched the other show goers start riding in. The show was a great turnout, with a good 450 or so vehicles, most of which were very nice and not shoddy builds. Everything was there, from lifted 4x4s to to ground scraping airbagged trucks, both old and new. Even some muscle cars and true hotrods thrown into the mix. Our club, Perfect Nemisis, had a good showing, bringing about 10 cars and trucks ourselves. This was going to be a good year.

After walking around, I come back to see two guys really going over my truck. About when i go there they asked whos it was, adn I let them know it was mine. I figured they had some questions about the suspension, as thats the most common question. What happened next took me completely by surprise. He was from Crusin the Streets, an online magazine, and wanted to shoot my truck. He had a model set up for the afternoon, and asked if i could meet him about 3 that afternoon. I said sure, and then sat down with my friends wondering if that really just happened. Three o'clock came, and he took pictures of my truck, James's 48 GMC, and Casey's 69 Camaro. He had another photographer there as well from Elite Streets Magazine, another online mag as well. They both shot it for features, while I filled out the tech sheets for the articles. I only had them take shots of the photoshoot, as we didnt want to get in the way of the photographers. I should get some good shots from the photographer in a few weeks, and the feature should run in about 2 or 4 months. I will be sure to share them when I do get them, as they are pretty hot. They Here's what I have I can share:

Ok, back to a PG rating lol. However I did leave out an important thing that happened that morning, and kept me on pins and needlesall day. See that morning, after i cleaned up my truck, I realised after about an hour that I had left my phone in my glovebox. When I went over to it to get it, I found a business card in my front seat. It was from Jason Mulligan, the Feature editor for Street Trucks Magazine. I asked my friends if they had one too, and why it was in my truck. Noone else had one, and then someone said " He probably wants to shoot your truck for the magazine" My truck? NAAAAAAHHH. Theres no was. I subscribe to that mag, and my ole 67 is not to the level of those in the mag. But i called him anyway, and left him a voicemail. And wouldnt you know it, the one day it seems everyone wanted to call me for some reason was this one, so I was having a mild heart attatck every time it rang thinking it was Jason. But he never called. I just thought well if he wanted to shoot it, he would call me, but maybe it was a mistake.

Well little did I know that my little shoot would keep me and a couple friends from going to get dinner with the rest of the club, but allowed us to get to the hotel to see a little photo shoot going on behind the hotel. Being nosey, we wandered over to discover it was Jason! I talked to him, and he did indeed want to shoot it for the magazine! I could not and still dont believe it! We decided to shoot it the following day after the awards, as he had 2 others he was doing as well.

I spent the rest of the evening on cloud nine, having a complete case of perma-grin. I was smiling from ear to ear, and it showed. We went back to the show grounds to watch a few buddies do the drag competition (Trent's Rusty Nail project and Jody's GMC) and then back to the hotel to stay up into the wee hours of the mornign having some adult beverages and talking about trucks, building a few dozen in our minds that night. It was a great way to catch up with some friends I had not seen in about a year or so.

The following day way the second day of the show, where we hung out until the awards ceremony. Some of the guys nursed hangovers, while others took an second look at our favorite rides there and talked some more about hotrods. We went to the awards ceremony, whereI was a recipent of one of the top 50 awards there. Not a bad way to end the first big show the 67 had been to in 2 years. And it was only appropiate that the award had a C-10 on it.

I hung around after the show for about an hour, with a couple of friends staying to watch. To my surprise, my wife and son came over to show some support and watch the exciting event. I an thankful that JAmes and Jody stayed around, as my truck was filthy from all the dust, and without a water hose in sight. They helped me clean it while the kids played, and my wife took photos of the whole thing. It was an amazing experence, and not one I am soon to forget. I will let the pictures tell the rest of the story:

My friend James with the 48 GMC ended up getting his shot too, as Jason really liked it as well and wanted to take some pictures while he was there. It was an amazing weekend, and not one I will forget anytime soon. I built my truck for me, but it is nice to be reconised like that after almost 2 years of work. For everyone that feels like there is no light at the end of the tunnel, remember that if you put inthe time, the rewards will be great. My weekend ended with a long cruise home, remembering the monments the experences of the weekend. I still have a huge smile on my face. Thank you for reading all of this, as it is long, but i just wanted to share my weekend with everyone here. May you have as much luck with your onw truck build.
colin_havens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:03 AM   #2
wwotr

Re: An amazing weekend

DAYM! It was just like BEING THERE!
I had a Hangover and Goosebumps just READING it.
What a Weekend.
GOOD 4 U!
back in November of 2011.
I don't visit the site much anymore,
but please feel free,
to drop me a private message.
RIP...."RATIKLE"
wwotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:16 AM   #3
OARNGESI

Great story and congrats on the coverage and awards
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:48 AM   #4
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

Sucks that the only time I have to really get on here is at work, our servers block out a lot of the photos posted. That said I can't see the pictures you posted yet (I'm gonna make time when I get home), but the story was awesome. A real builder's dream come true. Congrats man! Im looking forward to getting home in a few hours and seeing for myself.
fryer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:11 AM   #5
rsavage

Great story. Thanks for sharing. You did a beautiful job on your truck.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:39 AM   #6
72shortstep
lovin' the lowcountry

anytime you get a girl like that hanging all over your truck, you did something right! congrats man!

72 SWB stepside
71 SWB stepside

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!
72shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:56 AM   #7
68Stepbed

Congrats on the win and the mag photo shoots. That's an awesome story. It sure makes all the blood, sweat and tears you put into the truck pay off.

68 C10 stepside, LS1/700R4, TCI Engineering suspension system
68Stepbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:21 AM   #8
DZL1
One day.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72shortstep View Post
anytime you get a girl like that hanging all over your truck, you did something right! congrats man!

Well said!!

Congrats on your incredible weekend experience!

DZL1.
DZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #9
bigguy69
dazed and confused

awesome!!
Old 09-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #10
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Way cool- congrats
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #11
chevy truck crazy

Wow is all I can say. I trade anything to have a weekend like that. Trucks hot girl and photos man your life rocks
chevy truck crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:32 PM   #12
harrdawg54

Awesome....that's all I can say...just awesome!
harrdawg54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:06 PM   #13
big_al_71

Congratulations!!!!!!! glad you made the trip without any issues and the icing on the cake by getting an award as well as all the magazine coverage....

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #14
gixxerpymp

Great story man. This gives me some needed motivation!
gixxerpymp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:36 PM   #15
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Congrats!!! Looks to me like your truck is up to the level the truck mags want.But don't just take my word for it.

Great write up and story.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #16
tonypaul

With the luck you are having I would buy a couple of lotto tickets and maybe take a trip to Vegas!

I had a big smile on my face after I read the first couple sentences of your story. And the smile stayed there till I got up and went to the garage and saw my truck thats in a million pieces all over the garage.

Never the less, thanks for sharing your story, I know what it feels like. A couple years ago I had buildt a drag car and had people pulling up to me going down the hwy with it on the trailer giving me thumbs up on my way to the track. I made some passes in it that night pulling the front wheels about 2 foot of the ground for till about the 330 mark with some real good times. Everyone was taken pics of it and was just swarmed around it all night. So I know how you feel, it makes all the hard work, the money spent, the blood and sweat and tears all worth it. You will keep this memory with you forever!
Thanks again for sharing your story!
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:51 PM   #17
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

Congrats Colin, from another "Mountain Home-y" truck enthusiast.

Great story. A long writeup is cool when you've got plenty of good stuff to tell.

Cool ride.

Last edited by 68shortstep; 09-08-2010 at 05:52 PM.
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 05:55 PM   #18
Cole Trickle
C-10 Club Member

Very cool...congrats
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #19
RCbowtie69

cool
RCbowtie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #20
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Great looking ride!

Nice colors and striping scheme too - very creative and unique. No wonder you got coverage. Congrats!
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:40 PM   #21
71swb4x4

Great story, from the looks of your truck everything was well deserved.
Old 09-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #22
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Congrats!
Beautiful truck!

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:00 PM   #23
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Sounds like one heck of an event, thanks for the review, and congrats on the coverage!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:10 PM   #24
SBTork
Garage wrench

Awseome weekend, you told the story very well. It's awesome to get the personal reward of other people enjoying what you've done. Very good work, and very cool truck!

I know what you're talking about with the gratification of other people noticing your work. I recently lowered my 85 Burb and have gotten some positive attention since doing so. Since doing so, I've had a dozen or so people talk with me in parking lots, at car shows, etc. about it. It's nothing fancy, but people like it and it's really cool when they tell you so. I cannot imagine getting anything I own into a major magazine, that's awesome. Keep it up man!

90 V1500 GMC Suburban 350/700R4/NP241.....
01 Saturn SL1 stock DD.....
SBTork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:49 PM   #25
Robertjust777

exactly what he said! i feel the same way

[QUOTE

I know what you're talking about with the gratification of other people noticing your work. I recently lowered my 85 Burb and have gotten some positive attention since doing so. Since doing so, I've had a dozen or so people talk with me in parking lots, at car shows, etc. about it. It's nothing fancy, but people like it and it's really cool when they tell you so. I cannot imagine getting anything I own into a major magazine, that's awesome. Keep it up man! [/QUOTE]
Robertjust777 is offline   Reply With Quote