The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
bucketObolts

Steering column clicking noises??

Ok so for the first time about a month ago I started hearing some pretty loud and unusual clicking noises while turning the steering wheel. It sounds like just like morse code on a telegraph. It's coming from somewhere between the firewall and the end of the column thats all I know. Now tonight its back again. Even with the stethescope I can't pinpoint it. It might be electrical or something else Im not sure so I didnt want to post in the electrical section if it's not. Anybody heard these noises? It happens if I touch the wheel or the steering shaft ever so slightly and the faster I turn the wheel, the more frequent they become. The kicker is that both times the truck wasnt running and the key was in the off postion. Please help before I break out the sawzall and get rid of the noises myself
bucketObolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
bucketObolts

Re: Steering column clicking noises??

Update- I just pulled the battery out of the bed and I can hear the column clicking when I touch the terminals to the posts. I guess im posting this in the Electrical section. Sorry fellas
Old 04-17-2011, 12:22 AM   #3
KevsClassics
TILT COLUMN GURU

Sounds like your horn relay. Are your horns disconnected? horn relay is under dash on fire wall near steering column you can unplug relay for now. but you should fix horn system.

64 Impala SS Conv

72 Blazer 2wd

75 Jimmy 2wd

63 Belair wagon

02 Silverado ext cab. DD

RIP EL JAY
KevsClassics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:39 AM   #4
bucketObolts

that's probably where its coming from. And I don't have any horns yet. today my red-top battery was dead after not running the truck for only 2 days, which has never happened before. so Im sure thats my draw. Ill crawl under the dash tomorrow and check out that relay. I need to get going on my painless kit anyway.