The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #1
Sal's '55 Chevy

55 2nd series truck vin number

First i know alot of people talk about the vins on these trucks i did some research before starting this thread.

So i running into big problems with my vin i know its located on the pillar on the driver side of the cab. Now some numbers and stamped really good and other are not regardless it does match the frame vin except for the letter at the very beginning. Now i have seen some threads on here for examples of the vins and mine looks nothing like that on the title. The one and the cab and frame do but not the one on the tittle so now im showing two different numbers. When i bought my truck the owner filed for a lost tittle and i received it at my house and it does identify a 1955 chevy pk 1/2 ton weight 3600.

Could anyone tell me what you think happened as far as why the vins don't match?
Sal's '55 Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:29 AM   #2
Sal's '55 Chevy

Re: 55 2nd series truck vin number

i have heard that sometimes the title will have the vin as the motors vin but why would chevy think the motors were gonna stay with the truck if this is the case how could i proof that the truck is the one to the title.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:07 PM   #3
hammerdog57

Sounds like you might have a 55 first series title. Title vin should start with H255. 55 second series trucks were the first chevy trucks to use cab and frame vins not engine numbers for vins. The 2 in the vin numbers represents second series.
hammerdog57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:46 AM   #4
Sal's '55 Chevy

thanks for the information could you show me an example of a 1st series vin number to see if its kind of like the one im showing?
Old 11-14-2011, 12:54 AM   #5
azsnow

What is the first letter? They used H and V in the 2nd series.
azsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:01 AM   #6
Sal's '55 Chevy

the one on the cab and frame is an H but the one on the title is a number
Old 11-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #7
BigBlocksRule

I have two 55 2nd's, neither has a VIN anywhere on the cab. I was told it's a unique year, VIN was on the engine ONLY, so once the engine is swapped out, the owner will eventually have to re-title it and get a state issued VIN...at least that's how I understand it in Texas.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:29 PM   #8
azsnow

My 55 has the VIN on the frame and the doorjam. Not sure whats up with your truck BigBlock, look on the frame near the steering box.
azsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
Sal's '55 Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlocksRule View Post
I have two 55 2nd's, neither has a VIN anywhere on the cab. I was told it's a unique year, VIN was on the engine ONLY, so once the engine is swapped out, the owner will eventually have to re-title it and get a state issued VIN...at least that's how I understand it in Texas.
now if this happen to be the case and someone sold me the truck how would i ever know the truck he is selling me actually belongs to this re-title issued by the state? or does anyone know in texas how i could find out what cab goes to the title i have if the vins don't match?
Old 11-14-2011, 09:28 PM   #10
BigBlocksRule

When the state issues a VIN, it's on a VIN tag and is attached somewhere - I don't know if they have a specific place - cowl, doorjamb, wherever.
One of my cabs has a very short stamped number that matches nothing I've found anywhere on the title. Fender trim holes inidicate '55, paint is perfect match for the rest of the truck, so I think that everything except the passenger door is original.
I'm going to title one for street driving - the rusty, gangrenous looking one, and build a drag race specific truck with the other, the one with perfect sheet metal. I think the frame on the straight truck is original - where would I find a VIN? Frame on the rustbucket is long gone, someone tried to do a Camaro subframe graft and it looked like he used chicken $h!t for spackling to try to make it stick together, if those were welds, God help anyone who rides in anything he's welded on...
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:20 AM   #11
bfink

my 55 2nd doesnt have a vin on the cab anywhere either , weird
bfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 01:55 AM   #12
Sal's '55 Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlocksRule View Post
When the state issues a VIN, it's on a VIN tag and is attached somewhere - I don't know if they have a specific place - cowl, doorjamb, wherever.
One of my cabs has a very short stamped number that matches nothing I've found anywhere on the title. Fender trim holes inidicate '55, paint is perfect match for the rest of the truck, so I think that everything except the passenger door is original.
I'm going to title one for street driving - the rusty, gangrenous looking one, and build a drag race specific truck with the other, the one with perfect sheet metal. I think the frame on the straight truck is original - where would I find a VIN? Frame on the rustbucket is long gone, someone tried to do a Camaro subframe graft and it looked like he used chicken $h!t for spackling to try to make it stick together, if those were welds, God help anyone who rides in anything he's welded on...
so the state does give you a new vin number? well to answer your question there should be two places where the frame is stamped with the vin first one would be by the gearbox and the other would be right under the cab by the brake cylinder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfink View Post
my 55 2nd doesnt have a vin on the cab anywhere either , weird
do it have a vin at all? if not what does your title say?
Old 11-16-2011, 09:44 PM   #13
bfink

my title says 55 chevy , and the VIN on the title ends with F255X , ive had the truck since 1990 but the orig 6 was long gone and it had a 327 when i got it . i also had it subframed in the early 90's so the vin on the frame is gone too
bfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:08 PM   #14
Sal's '55 Chevy

my title ends the same way with F255X and say its a 55 chevy truck and everything, has anyone told you how to prove what you have against your title like it the truck came up missing how would they match the truck to the title?