The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-20-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Can a mixture of mostly water be used in a radiator during the summer months?

I've got a coolant leak I'm trying to hunt down. I'm getting tired of wasting $13 bottles of antifreeze while I do so. It's probably the radiator that has a leak, but I want to make sure and then I'll need to schedule a time to remove the radiator and have it patched.

Can I just fill it with water while I sort this out, seeing as its warmer now? I understand just about any fluid could be used in a pinch survival back roads situation, but this isn't that and I don't want to harm anything
Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
Mint68

Re: Can a mixture of mostly water be used in a radiator during the summer months?

I have used straight water with out any noticable ill effects. Antifreeze may have corrosion protection in it, but if you dont plan on using it forever like that, I wouldn't worry about doing it.
Mint68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
Lattimer

Re: Can a mixture of mostly water be used in a radiator during the summer months?

just don't forget what you have done. I have seen lots of drag race engines run straight water (track requirement). Owner forgets to swap back to anti freeze, keeps saying " I'll do it later." Later never comes and the block is now cracked in the middle of winter.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattimer View Post
just don't forget what you have done. I have seen lots of drag race engines run straight water (track requirement). Owner forgets to swap back to anti freeze, keeps saying " I'll do it later." Later never comes and the block is now cracked in the middle of winter.
Yeah, good point. Kinda like doing the same with windshield washer fluid.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Yeah, good point. Kinda like doing the same with windshield washer fluid.
Posted via Mobile Device

Only way more expensive.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #6
SS Tim

If you have to do this, distilled water in the buck a gallon jugs will work. Might want to dump some cooling system additive in too. Just remember it is not the first nor best choice and plan on a citric acid cleaning once you have nailed it down. On the flip side a quick pressure test should show the leak pronto. Remember dropping coolant on the ground is not a good thing for several reasons.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 10:58 PM   #7
BMERDOC

Have you had it pressure tested? Any service station should be able to pump it up and make it leak for you.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #8
junksaver

I wouldn't do it. I suggest fixing the problem. Running straight water will lead to more problems. I'm in the salvage business and I get a chance to cut up hundreds of vehicles a year. The number one cause of people destroying engines is lack of cooling system maintence. Plain water causes rust. It will destroy water pumps, freeze plugs, head gaskets and the inside of your block. The rust will stick to the inside of your hoses and clog your radiator. You need antifreeze for corrision protection and lubrication for your water pump seal. I could post up some scary pictures.

Water- Don't do it.
Leak- Fix it now and save money later.
72 2wd 3/4 Ton Project or Parts?
73 4wd Blazer
junksaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #9
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMERDOC View Post
Have you had it pressure tested? Any service station should be able to pump it up and make it leak for you.
Haven't tried that. Good idea
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #10
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by junksaver View Post
I wouldn't do it. I suggest fixing the problem. Running straight water will lead to more problems. I'm in the salvage business and I get a chance to cut up hundreds of vehicles a year. The number one cause of people destroying engines is lack of cooling system maintence. Plain water causes rust. It will destroy water pumps, freeze plugs, head gaskets and the inside of your block. The rust will stick to the inside of your hoses and clog your radiator. You need antifreeze for corrision protection and lubrication for your water pump seal. I could post up some scary pictures.

Water- Don't do it.
Leak- Fix it now and save money later.
Very good points. Thanks. We have very hard water too
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #11
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
If you have to do this, distilled water in the buck a gallon jugs will work. Might want to dump some cooling system additive in too. Just remember it is not the first nor best choice and plan on a citric acid cleaning once you have nailed it down. On the flip side a quick pressure test should show the leak pronto. Remember dropping coolant on the ground is not a good thing for several reasons.
Great idea
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2013, 11:32 PM   #12
JellyBeanDriver

You can rent a radiator pressure tester for free from Autozone.
JellyBeanDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:35 PM   #13
mud.man.rj

Better to just get it tested or pull then pull the rad and get it fixed then forget about it. Won't stretch on a make other problems that way.
mud.man.rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:01 AM   #14
buckskins4ever

If you dont know all the little quirks and hiding spots for small leaks, then I would stretch out your money and pay to have it Pressure Tested at a place like Midas. Its cheap to have done and their mechanics know engines well so if it happens to e in the heads, you at least know and get it found fast.
buckskins4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:12 AM   #15
LSUMurse

I wouldn't do it. Coolant also helps in the summer by increasing the boiling point thereby allowing the radiator to work more effectively.

If you really want to do it, I would reccommend using a 30/70 or 20/80 mixture to save on the amount of antifreeze. This will lower your costs and not deprive the engine at the same time.

If your life is a joke, it appears death will be your punchline.
LSUMurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:45 AM   #16
BOHICA-Chevy68

antifreeze. isn't just to stop freezing. it helps cool as well. most people forget that.
BOHICA-Chevy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:48 AM   #17
leddzepp

Take it to a radiator shop, have it pressure tested, and have the leaks repaired. I always run distilled water, as we have hard water here as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:56 AM   #18
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Ok guys. I hear you loud and clear. I'll scrap the idea completely

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2013, 12:25 AM   #19
JellyBeanDriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOHICA-Chevy68 View Post
antifreeze. isn't just to stop freezing. it helps cool as well. most people forget that.
It raises the boiling point (as does the pressure cap) but other than that, water transfers heat better than antifreeze.
JellyBeanDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:01 AM   #20
BOHICA-Chevy68

I don't mean to be argumentative, I just want to make sure the right info is portrayed. Ethylene Glycol adsorbs heat far better then H2O. Waters Boiling Point is 220 degrees F and EG is 387. The chemical make up alone makes it a better heat adsorbent. I only Appel of this a a HAZMAT tech with a chemistry degree. Far more is going on then just raising the freezing point of H2O.
Posted via Mobile Device
BOHICA-Chevy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #21
WadmalawJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post

Hey Tim, I've never heard of citric acid cleaning of the coolant system. I'm very interested how is this done? My radiator looks to be brand new on the outside, I was shocked to see how scaly it was on the inside when I checked it the other day.

and Mister B, I have to give you hard time on this one.... sounds like somebody should have invested in radiator repair and not a shiny new seat cover....lol, can't wait to see how your seat cover project turns out, sounds like a tough project, I need to do mine as well.

My youngest son and I picked up a 69 Chevy C-10 on 1/7/22, this is my second 69, it was 10 years ago that I had my other one. So I’m back!!!
WadmalawJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:39 AM   #22
SS Tim

Member VWNate1 here in SoCal is a big proponent of this method.
Take a look here starting at post #19 and he has a Word Doc proceedure at post #24.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #23
Turbolark

I run no antifreeze in any of my cars. I use water with WaterWetter only. The key is the Water Wetter. It has the corrosion protection and lubricants needed that straight water wont give you. BUT..I live in So California, so I don't need to be concerned with freezing.
Turbolark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #24
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by WadmalawJoe View Post
Hey Tim, I've never heard of citric acid cleaning of the coolant system. I'm very interested how is this done? My radiator looks to be brand new on the outside, I was shocked to see how scaly it was on the inside when I checked it the other day.

and Mister B, I have to give you hard time on this one.... sounds like somebody should have invested in radiator repair and not a shiny new seat cover....lol, can't wait to see how your seat cover project turns out, sounds like a tough project, I need to do mine as well.
Lol. I can't argue with you there. In fact, part of me wishes I had just done the radiator instead of all the hassle I went through getting the seat cover on last night lol. I'll do a write up soon, but basically they didn't mark which piece was the back and which was the bottom. I had to guess. I started with the back, and it was cake. Proceeded to do the bottom, and couldn't get it to fit no matter what I did. My wife walked by and said "are you sure you have the right piece on this? Sure enough, I had them reversed. Had to undo everything and start over. It went on much easier this time, but now I'm out of hog rings and can't finish the back. I'll get more today. Boy, it sure looks good. Can't wait to get it and my refreshed belts installed today
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #25
catch2otwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolark View Post
I run no antifreeze in any of my cars. I use water with WaterWetter only. The key is the Water Wetter. It has the corrosion protection and lubricants needed that straight water wont give you. BUT..I live in So California, so I don't need to be concerned with freezing.
I run water wetter in my track bikes. Keep in mind, water wetter type products mixed with distilled water will need much more frequent change outs then antifreeze. For a street vehicle, it ends up costing more then just going antifreeze.
catch2otwo is offline   Reply With Quote