The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
btstrohfus

Street/Strip suspension?

I have a 71 c10 with a stock suspension.I reciently purchased a 12bold from a friend who drag races and he set me up with a great rearend. i want to change the drums to disc brakes and lower the entire truck 4in or so. but anyway im afraid its going to lack the traction i need to hook the truck up with a 600hp 406 and 4.88 gears. can anyone give me something to go by to make a setup to hep with this problem, or an inexpensive solution to this problem. any pictures would help if you have have them of your setup.. thanks for looking and helping.
btstrohfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:15 AM   #2
wheatlandbrawler

Re: Street/Strip suspension?

thiers guys on here putting down some pretty big numbers on stock style suspension. trailing arms are acutally a great platform for HP suspension due to the fact that the lift point is allready found for you. something alot of guys do is suspension like mine. (when your on a budget) but they run a "anti roll set up" this stops the rear end from trying to twist up and change the pinion angle thus causing you to lose traction. you can find these kits on ebay. i dont run one although i should.

for pictures look at my build link in my signature and hopefully that will help you out. their is a million ways to do suspension. im just showing you mine.

oh and things you will want to take into account is spring rates and shocks. how much rebound or compression it will take some research. also is it a street truck or a strictly drag truck? this will effect your spring rates big time.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:50 AM   #3
djracer

By all means keep the trailing arms. Like he said the right shocks all the way around and some springs up front with some stored energy and you will be good. As much tire as possible will help.

Look at my passtime link. That was almost 1000hp out of the gate. I hope to be 1200 to 1300 with the new bullet.

I need a better antiroll myself.

Special Thanks to All who have helped on the TRUCK!

My Pass Time Show http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p...Chapter1-0.mp4

So Far my best Times are:

Motor only:
6.44 1/8 @ 104.13
10.39 1/4 @ 125.83

Nitrous Times:
5.785 1/8 @ 118.65 with a 1.336 60ft
9.168 1/4 @ 142.58 with a 250 shot dead out of the hole!
djracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
btstrohfus

im having a hard time understanding what im suposed to look for as far as springs for a good 80% street, 20% strip truck. i would do more track time but its only on weekends a few months of the year, so it has to have a good ride quality. and i coudnt find the anti roll setup on ebay, so is there any other place that offers them at a good price? and with the anti roll, good springs?, and shocks?, will that be a fair setup for a budget build. dont want to get to crazy for now. thanks again
btstrohfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:28 PM   #5
limitedstreetoutlaw

Well i can tell ya my set up hooked hard last year and has more in it and all i have is m/t drag radials my suspension is just a 4 1/2 front and 6 1/2 rear cpp lowering springs,blocks,shocks,spindles nothing speacial truck rides good in town and hooks at the track.but drag shocks,springs, ect are the way to go for sure upgrading mine this year.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
wheatlandbrawler

djracer should be able to tell you where to find the anti roll set up. as far as spring rates and shocks its hard to say. since its a street/strip vehicle it would be nice to have adjustability. on the rear atleast. up front competition engineering makes a cheap budget friendly drag shock that will work wonders its a non adjustable 80-20 bias and with the springs i run a 150lb spring rate in the back. i run a moroso trick spring up front with a 270lb spring rate. the only bad thing is what works for me might not work for you.