The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2005, 07:54 PM   #1
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

What did you get done?

I didn't get anything truck related done this week. I did talk to my buddy Keith and found out my Ram Horn manifolds are back from the coaters. He said they look like chrome, so I'm excited.

Saturday morning I went to watch one of my daughters club volleyball team mates play in her middle school tournament. I also got to check out one of the new players that will be on her club team in action.

Saturday night we took her club team to watch the Rice vs SMU volleyball match. They had a blast watching the big girls play. Saturday night I had a house full of 13 year old girls for a sleep over after the game.

Today I ran some service calss, then watched the Astros game. It went to 18 innings. WOW! What a looooong game.

What did you get done....?

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:59 PM   #2
454HO

I made the dogs bark and the little children cry...

Yep, I started up my engine for the first time!!!!!! Woo Hooooo!!!! Something about a big block revving up thru open headers just brings a tear to my eye.

Old 10-09-2005, 08:01 PM   #3
iceman7329
Account Suspended

Im going to pickup my new truck in the morning, I went and cleaned it off today, its was full of crap. Ill get pictures once I get it home.
iceman7329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:01 PM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Doooode! That's awesome Greg. I'm glad to hear it busted off and ran alright. That's gotta be a bunch of motivation right there to get the rest done....
Old 10-09-2005, 08:07 PM   #5
1987 Shortwide

Adhered my filler panels to the firewall and started tinkering a little with the filler to finish it out.

My 87 buildup
Daily Driver: 99 Sierra SLE 4X4. Black on Black and harder than hell to keep clean.
1987 Shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:09 PM   #6
Jebb1978

I am on my 32nd worked hour since Friday. Short little sleep brakes at home in between. I did do 1 truck related thing however! I added brake fluid to my empty rear master cylinder on my way home last night.Where did it go you may be wondering, I am wondering too??? I could not find any evidence of a leak.... It was replaced when I did the engine 4 months ago??? I did drive it to work today and all seems to be fully functional? I guess I will look at it some more tomorrow when I am off.
Jebb1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 08:33 PM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebb1978
....I did do 1 truck related thing however! I added brake fluid to my empty rear master cylinder on my way home last night.Where did it go you may be wondering, I am wondering too??? .....
It sounds like you have a blown wheel cylinder. Check your rear wheels to see if it's leaking out of the drum. It could be a blown master cylinder too. Is there any trace of fluid below the master cylinder running down the booster?
Old 10-09-2005, 08:44 PM   #8
Jebb1978

Actually the first thing I did was crawl under the truck with a flash light?? Nothing....
Old 10-09-2005, 08:46 PM   #9
Jebb1978

I didn't see anything on the master cylinder it self.. I will keep looking tomorrow???
Old 10-09-2005, 09:08 PM   #10
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I actually worked on my trucks for a change. I stripped my 90 Blazer out and got it ready to go to Blazer heaven. I also traded my 78 Jimmy for a 91 Blazer. It has everything I was looking for, like power mirrors, and a couple things I wasn't, like a hideous body lift and electrical gremlins. I kept enough parts off of the 90 to make it right though.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:28 PM   #11
bigblock73
yeller

Greg & Steven...your progress looks awesome!!! I am soo jealous, because I didn't get squat done on my truck this week/weekend.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 10:37 PM   #12
SCOTI

I looked up P/N's for everything needed to reassemble Ken's old 350. The internets a great tool, but sometimes too much information can cause headaches.

I placed an order w/Jegs to get everything on its way (oil pan gasket, intake gaskets, head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, dynomax shorty headers, Cloyes timing chain set, harmonic balancer puller/installer kit) plus a few other odds & ends. I'll re-use the old q-jet & HEI for now so that should get the project moving along.

My GF & I spent quality time together yesterday & went to see the flick '2 for the Money'. Pacino is a great actor but don't waste your $$ on this one . . .....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 11:07 PM   #13
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I made junkyard run Saturday. I found 2 sets of black seatbelts, but I left them there. I really need to get on ebay so I can start making some money off this stuff to put back in my truck.

I got a perfect dash bezel at the junkyard for $8.75. I have been looking for one forever because mine has an odd look, like it has water spots on it, but they won't come off. I washed the dust off the new in my kitchen sink with a cotton washcloth and some Dawn. Now it looks like my old one.

All I can figure is that it has a clear finish on it that gets brittle after 20 years. Next I'll try to see if I can scrub all of the stuff off of it and make it all uniform.

I also got a complete wing window to replace one that broke off in my hand at 70 mph last year when I was on a road trip. It cost me $17 for the complete assembly with glass, so I guess that isn't too bad.

I saw an interesting bucket seat conversion. It looked like someone put Suburban seats in a pickup by cutting the inside front tab out of the floor of a Suburban and screwing it to the floor with sheetmetal screws. They didn't just take the tab, though. The took enough of the floor with the tab attached so that they could recreate the shape of the suburban floor to match the seat slides. Everything else looked like it lined up without any modifications.

It was hard to describe. I'm thinking about going back and trying to pick them up, but I don't know if I would need just the tabs, the tabs and slides, or what. What I do know is that they did NOT look like the tabs that people here have posted pics of.

Slonaker
Old 10-09-2005, 11:55 PM   #14
u2slow
Web Wheeler

Today I found a buyer for the 4.10 gears I have in a 10-bolt front axle. I'd only had the axle a week! (I only got it for the 8-lug outers)

Spent the morning tearing it down. I had my 3-1/2 year old son out 'helping' me
He was spinning the rotors telling me thats where the wheels go on. Then after I took the diff cover off he instinctively grabbed the yoke and started turning it to watch the gears move.

'66 C10 longstep - Clifford equiped
'84 C20 Suburban 6.2L - awaiting 4x4 conversion
'91 V3500 Crewcab - awaiting diesel swap

Last edited by u2slow; 10-09-2005 at 11:58 PM.
u2slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 11:56 PM   #15
koreric75
83C10SWB

I got the driver's side fender swapped out, refinished the wheel well while i was at it and did some cleaning and wire management. I painted the hood cowl and windshield wiper arms, will post pics of that tomorrow, here's the fender swap.
Attached Images

83 C10 SWB FOR SALE
350ci/700Raptor Jr
Picture&Progress Page
koreric75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:27 AM   #16
hobbz

well mine is a downer. two weeks ago my wife became a sister, but the baby was only 24 weeks along when born. this thursday she passed away. very sad. the funeral was saturday. me and my wife really haven't done anything besides sit at home and mope.

i did change the front brake pads on the truck just to get my mind off everything going on.

1987 Short Step 350/350
hobbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:57 AM   #17
1987 Shortwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbz
well mine is a downer. two weeks ago my wife became a sister, but the baby was only 24 weeks along when born. this thursday she passed away. very sad. the funeral was saturday. me and my wife really haven't done anything besides sit at home and mope.

i did change the front brake pads on the truck just to get my mind off everything going on.

That sucks to hear hobbz. I've had my fair share of bad news this week also, but I usually don't talk much about the crappy stuff, as it just depresses me.

Best wishes to the family.
My 87 buildup
Daily Driver: 99 Sierra SLE 4X4. Black on Black and harder than hell to keep clean.
1987 Shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 01:25 AM   #18
84slopwaggin

I purchased my 350 crate engine along with a engine stand and hoist. Also, I purchased online a edelb eps intake, new H balancer, high vol. water pump, fuel pump, and a accel dizzy so far. I'm waiting on the wifes' digital cam to start cataloging my progress.
84slopwaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 01:43 AM   #19
FLAGG

I've spent the last couple of days wiring in my MSD 6A. Tomorrow I hope to finish the wiring, then install a Crane adjustable vacuum advance (with my handy-dandy printout of Ervin's directions in the garage) while swapping out the module, cap, rotor, and coil for MSD parts.

Once that's done I'll start cleaning up my old truck up so I can put it up for sale.
FLAGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 09:52 AM   #20
Ric83

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbz

I am very sorry to hear that. It really hits home on that one, as I went thru the same with my son a few years ago. I know how devastating it is. Just remember that all things happen for a reason. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Ric83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 10:49 AM   #21
86 GMG

not much at all and absolutly no truck stuff but i spent a lot of time with my 1 yr old he is just a blessing other than that i set up time this week to complete the control arms and then i can assemble the front end components that are just sitting in the garage laughing at me every time i walk by. i will prolly get the frame up to a rolling chassy and leave it alone until after the move
Old 10-10-2005, 11:08 AM   #22
Prerunner1982

86 GMC where are you moving?

i changed the heater core... wasnt all that bad.. but did take me the better part of 4 hrs.... also cleaned up under the dash a bit.. stray wires and such.. wired up the light for my tach..
Oklahoma Roll Call
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 05:04 PM   #23
TexasJeff
Don't Crush em Restore em

Swap Meet

Saturday did my lawn, and Sunday most of the day was spent at the swap meet here in town selling the extra parts from my truck. Sold the hub caps, all the extra tail light lenses, parking light lenses, one vent window assembly, window regulators, stock set of wheels and tires. Made about 200 bucks to put towards the new interior.
1998 Red with Gray Interior, C3500 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
TexasJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 05:29 PM   #24
squint

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454HO
I made the dogs bark and the little children cry...

Yep, I started up my engine for the first time!!!!!! Woo Hooooo!!!! Something about a big block revving up thru open headers just brings a tear to my eye.

Sorry.. but Can you tell me what plug wires you are using.. and are those heat sheilds part of the package.. or did you get them seperatly.. I have melted my plug wires twice now on my headers and its really getting quite anoying..

Thanks..
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 05:52 PM   #25
Ironclad454
Registered loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebb1978
Actually the first thing I did was crawl under the truck with a flash light?? Nothing....
I had the same problem with my truck last year, All the break fluid for the rear brakes bled off. There was no visible leak at the wheels or the Master cylinder. But when i took the rear wheels and drum off, you could see the slave cylinder had gone bad. What i think happened was that the break pads soaked up the fluid. So that would be my suggestion to check first.

1996 Buick Riviera 3.8L S/C V6- DD
1973 Chevrolet Cheyenne Super C/10 LWB 454/TH350
Ironclad454 is offline   Reply With Quote