The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2013, 01:16 AM   #1
jmedero

Help hooking up shop compressor.

I took this compressor apart about 9 months ago when my dad gave it to me when he upgraded his shop air. Now I'm trying to hook it up and can't remember how it was all hooked up. I replaced the pressure switch because the one it had was bad.
The power was run to the compressor by my electrician but they wouldn't touch the compressor. Help me out before I hook it up wrong.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-03-2013, 01:19 AM   #2
jmedero

Re: Help hooking up shop compressor.

-The wires that come in at top right of the box go to the motor
-Bottom left are coming in from the pressure switch
-bottom left is 220 from the breaker box
I just can't figure out the mag start motor wiring.

Thanks in advance
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
Hart_Rod

Did you try and google a wire diagram?
Posted via Mobile Device
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
jaros44sr

L1= line voltage in, black
L2=nuetral, white
T1= terminal 1
T2= terminal 2

Motor starter contacts
Looks like you have two screws loose, so
Black would go to the left contact
White would go to the right contact
Judgeing by the way they lie of the bend

Could you take a better pic,with flash, of the main breaker. Is that your pressure switch, under the breaker?
FLA= 40 full load amps

Still a good idea, as hart rod says to get a wiring diagram
Your choice of wire size, seems alittle small, what gauge wire are you using to feed the breaker?

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 01-03-2013 at 01:00 PM.
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
jmedero

10-2 from breaker to compressor. I have googled it and it seems like all the ones I find are either single stage or they don't have the extra trip circuit that is on the bottom left of the mag starter.
My main question is does the 220 coming in from breaker go to the pres switch first? If so in which positions? The pics and diagrams I found online only have 2 wires hooked up in pres switch.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
jmedero

Oh and I have 3 wires and a ground coming in from the breaker. Black hot- red-hot a white that's the nutral and a copper ground.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
jmedero

Pics with flash on the camera.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
jaros44sr

Give me aminute to search the square d schmatic, line 1 and2 maybe power with white nuetral, hooked up elsewhere

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
jmedero

Thanks man. I looked up on their web page and I could only find single phase hook up and none with a mag starter.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-04-2013, 12:49 AM   #10
hedgee76

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmedero View Post
Thanks man. I looked up on their web page and I could only find single phase hook up and none with a mag starter.
Posted via Mobile Device
Looks like your black/red coming from your elect panel 10-3 w/grnd would hook up to L1-L2 top of mag starter w/ set screws black left red right side. your black white hooks up where you have it in your mag starter and in your pressure switch they would hook up on the two outer screws black far left white far right. Now you need two more wires from your pressure switch to the two spade terminals on top of the mag starter via your pink/ red wires are where your coil is for your mag starter.Hook the two new wires on the pressure switch one on each left over srews now if you put a new pressure switch in check to see if it is factory set to the cut off pressure to shut off your compressor. By the way the white wire in the orange cable is not used, but hook up your grounds.I take it your stop start switch is on the lid of your mag stater housing
hedgee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:45 AM   #11
jmedero

Thanks for the info man. Ill hook it up and give her a whirl tomorrow.
So just to make sure the 2 new wire you say i need will run in from the 2 center screws on the pres switch to the spade terminals on top of the mag starter. There are two spots to connect another wire. Do I use the spade terminal that has the black and white wire already on it or the ones closer to the rear that have the red wires hooked up to them?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by jmedero; 01-04-2013 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Pic added
jmedero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:57 AM   #12
hedgee76

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmedero View Post
Thanks for the info man. Ill hook it up and give her a whirl tomorrow.
So just to make sure the 2 new wire you say i need will run in from the 2 center screws on the pres switch to the spade terminals on top of the mag starter. There are two spots to connect another wire. Do I use the spade terminal that has the black and white wire already on it or the ones closer to the rear that have the red wires hooked up to them?
Posted via Mobile Device
the black and white stay hooked up where they are in the mag starter and the two new ones hook up on the spade terminals where the red wires are that is your coil that pulls in the magnet to complete the circuit to the motor and your pressure switch is the mechanical switch that makes/breaks the circuit for the coil that pulls in your magnet . I hope this helps just be careful and make sure power is off when working on it
Old 01-04-2013, 02:03 AM   #13
hedgee76

hey one more question for you before you start are their any spade terminals on the bottom where the red/pink wires run to from the top of the magstarter ?
I could not see from the pictures and I'm trying to determine how your stop start switch works ?
Old 01-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #14
RanchFlyer

OP did you get this working as I see a different thing going on. First lets ID the parts of the Mag starter. 1 The main contactor, or relay. yours currently has no incoming power to it, the the 2 power wires coming from the breaker in the shop hook here these probably are tagged as L1 L2. Behind the main contactor is the Mag coil. you currently have 2 small red wires hooked here. Check the tag on it right next to where the red wires are currently if it says 230V-1 then proceed, I personally like a 110V-1, but that is a different wiring pattern. The bottom of the mag starter is a thermal overload or "heater". Currently until you get your controls worked out I would disconnect the Motor from the bottom of the contactor and the heater. Once your mag switch is working then I would hook them back up. So that being said 2 hot legs come in to the top of the contactor. Pick up power from 1 and go to the p switch ( your white pressure switch wire where you currently have it, will do fine. So you will then have 110V ( 1 leg of your 220) going out to your pressure switch. Connect that white wire to any of the contacts in the Pressure switch. Connect your black wire in the pressure switch to the contact next to the white one. These have to be together, either as 1 and 2 in the pressure switch or 3 and 4.
RanchFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:02 AM   #15
RanchFlyer

Continued: When the pressure switch is closed or on it will send 110V back into the starter assembly. This is where I think you are hooked up wrong currently. The black wire from the pressure switch goes to the coil. So then you will have 110v to the coil. So disconnect one red wire from the coil, and place your black wire on that terminal. Now the other side of the coil leave connected, it goes to your heater, and as long as your heater is not tripped power will come back out in the red wire that previously was hooked to your coil. Take that loose red wire and hook it to the remaining hot in. So when everything is on 110v goes out to the P switch, back to the coil, the opposite 110V goes through the heater and then to the other side of the coil. the 2 110V together create 220v and energize the coil, making the contactor. Wow that was alot to say switch your black P switch wire and the closest red wire. Once you know the contactor makes and breaks like it is supposed to then hook you motor leads back up.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:08 AM   #16
RanchFlyer

Now for the next concerns. I to think that 10ga is lite for that load, I would monitor the amps especially at start up. I also do not see an unloader hooked to the compressor. Trying to start a loaded compressor is a sure fire way to put a hurt on you electrical system. Please correct me if there is an unloader, That I am not seeing.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #17
jmedero

Nice ranch!! Thanks man. I'm off tomorrow so ill be going in and hooking it up. I own and operate an auto detailing company so when weather is good I'm working. Haven't had time to finish this.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-05-2013, 12:13 AM   #18
jmedero

I have one that's hooked to a t pipe with air pressure guage. It all will get hooked back on once I replace the lead pipe on it. It was rusty. The compressor line out is unscrewed so the tank holds no pressure. Will take care of this when I visit Home Depot tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #19
hedgee76

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchFlyer View Post
Now for the next concerns. I to think that 10ga is lite for that load, I would monitor the amps especially at start up. I also do not see an unloader hooked to the compressor. Trying to start a loaded compressor is a sure fire way to put a hurt on you electrical system. Please correct me if there is an unloader, That I am not seeing.
10 gauge wire is enough for this compressor the motor is rated at 22amps and 10 gauge wire is good for 30amps as long as you have your wire landed on a 30amp breaker that is good for 80%of the rated amperage of the breaker in the panel that would be 24amps and you would want your breaker to trip out if you have a problem. Your breaker protects your wire to the mag stater and your thermal overload protects your motor. You should have a on/off switch if you turn your compressor on/off daily as your breaker is not rated as a switch and will allow it to premature trip out in time. from the picture it looks like they put a jumper in and took the thermal overload out but good not tell for sure from the picture just putting in my two cents
Old 01-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #20
jmedero

Well I tried it out today. Hooked it up like listed above. When I turned on the breaker it tripped and a big spark came from the ground wire. Don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Ill prob call an electrician and see if they can hook it up.
Any thoughts on the ground spark?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #21
_Ogre

hopefully everything is ok, maybe i can help
it looks like you have a magnetic starter with a 240 volt coil, i tried to read it, don't proceed with this drawing if it's a 120 volt coil

the red wires in the drawing are the heavy wires in and out for the motor, your black and red wires from your breaker panel go to the big set screw lugs on L1 and L2
T1 and T2 are already hooked up to the compressor motor

the light blue wires in the drawing control the on/off thru the pressure switch
run a wire from the spade terminal on L1 to the to the top overload breaker terminal. i can't see how it connects in the pictures but the two red wires hook to the overload below the starter.
out of the bottom of the overload breaker hook the white wire to the pressure switch.
in the pressure switch hook up both wires to either the left two screws or the right two screws. if you melted a set of contacts in the pressure switch when you applied power then use the other set of contacts. make sure the switch contacts are not welded together by prying them apart with a screw driver.
hook the black wire from the pressure switch to the spade terminal on the coil. the coil has the two blue fork ends crimped on in the picture.
finally run a wire from the spade terminal on L2 to the other spade terminal on the coil.
everything should work at this point.

i don't see any way to turn the compressor on or off from the pictures. a simple on/off toggle switch spliced into any blue wire in the drawing will be able to turn the compressor on or off

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:02 AM   #22
_Ogre

the 2 upper arrows point to the coil connections
the lower arrow points to the coil voltage if it says 230 or 240 then my drawing will work
if it says 110 or 120 my drawing will not work
i also highlighted the L1 and L2 connections

as far as the sparks off the ground...
in the pictures it looks like the bare ground wire is close to the white wire connection
but from what i can see the compressor should not have attempted to start

Old 01-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #23
_Ogre

did you get it to work?

Old 01-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #24
jmedero

I got home an hour ago. Playing with the kiddos for a bit. When they go to sleep ill go to work in the shop. Lol
Ill let you guys know.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-08-2013, 01:23 AM   #25
jmedero

She's alive!!!! OGre your a genius my man. I am very appreciative of your help.
The pres switch kicks in and the compressor runs. I new to hook up a relief valve and the presure guage. Ill pick those up tomorrow and hook them up. This way I can check the tank pres and make sure she's cutting off at 175.
Again thanks
Juan
Posted via Mobile Device