The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2002, 12:56 PM   #1
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

Exhaust system is on!

Just got the exhaust system installed this morning. 2.5" pipe with Dynomax Super Turbos. Sounds awesome! The work was done at Grain Valley Custom Muffler in Grain Valley, MO. They do excellent work. Do to the trucks low stance, the pipes were kept above the bottom of the frame, the whole way back. The pipes pass over the trans crossmember and through the frame crossmemeber (shown circled in red). The mufflers are mounted just before the axle. There is absolutely no clearance problems with the bags dumped. Since it is all tucked up in the frame, all joints were clamped so it could be easily disassembled if I ever needed to remove it. I'm sure my neighbors will be much happier next time I fire up the truck

Old 10-07-2002, 01:32 PM   #2
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

Looks bad ass! Can your camera do a sound file. I'd like to hear that setup. Still deciding how I I'm gonna route my exhuast. Yours looks awesome.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 05:10 PM   #3
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

Sorry Yukon, no sound....... I wish I could though!
Old 10-07-2002, 05:52 PM   #4
paintpyro

Lookin good man. So how close are you to inspection now?
rallys and BFGs
-We can rebuild it, we have the technology-lower,shinier,faster
paintpyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 06:55 PM   #5
Stroker

Looks good! I've been thinking of doing something tucked up like that myself. Does your truck have an auto tranny with column shift. If so was wondering how you got around the linkage. Thanks...Stroker
Old 10-07-2002, 08:59 PM   #6
Bagged72

Looks great, what kind of headers are you running on there? I am about to the stage where I need to get some for my truck.
Thanks.
Bagged72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 10:17 PM   #7
lofly'a

i love it, and i've asked this question before but got little response, did you have to reinforce the frame crossmember where the holes were cut for the exhaust pass-thru. if so, how was it done. i am thinking of 3/8" plate welded to each side, or welding a piece of pipe about 4" in dia. in after the hole is made.

i would also like to know about clearance around the trans linkage in relation to the tucked exhaust.
-2003 YUKON (Wife's)
-71 gmc swb fleet (current project, gonna shave everything, bags, stuff w/ 20's, gen III powertrain)
-48 3100 SWB - 12/31/23 LONG TERM Project
lofly'a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 10:38 PM   #8
riden2low

exhaust

I am wondening too as some other people are about if you had to renforced the cross member where the exhaust go through. I just replaced the trans cross member with an after market cross member from Brothers which allows easy insulation of the exhaust over the cross member. Now I am wonder about the cross member and what would be the best way to go about it.
I too had to get rid of my headers because of my truck being so low. So I got with my local Chevy dealer and bought cast iron ram exhaust headers with the 2 1/2 exhaust openings. Now I can keep the exhaust up and out of the way.

Last edited by riden2low; 10-07-2002 at 10:45 PM.
riden2low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 10:48 PM   #9
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

No, I didn't reinforce the cross member. I don't see how welding a piece of pipe in the hole or welding in a plate would make that much difference. I could be wrong though for I am not a structural engineer.

As for the clearance around the linkage, here's how they did it. (My linkage is off a '73+ truck, so I'm not sure how the '67-'72 linkage looks.) Not the best picture, but they went right under the linkage.

Old 10-07-2002, 10:58 PM   #10
riden2low

exhaust

Boy, wished my truck was that clean under there. Nice job!
Old 10-07-2002, 11:06 PM   #11
Zkast
Account Suspended

Cant wait to see this thing in person!!! Great job dude, that thing looks killer. Every nut/bolt and part detailed out... Love it!
Zkast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 11:51 PM   #12
riden2low

exhaust

I just went to your web site and found my answer to a problem that I was trying to solve. I did the same thing as you, bought the new track bar and I bought the C section brackets. Got everything on and put the truck on the ground to make adjustments and found the same thing. The passenger side hits the bar if you happen to hit a good hole in the road. Now to get under there and do the same as you did. Thanks for taking the time to take pictures and sharing this with every one.
Old 10-08-2002, 08:07 AM   #13
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Thats tucked up nice! looks like shes about ready to play
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 05:53 PM   #14
Stepside
Gasser

Thumbs up

Looks great Man. Saving my pennies for your bag setup.
Old 10-08-2002, 08:47 PM   #15
race-n-jason
-Praise the Lowered-

Great Coverage!!!

Hey Slammed,

Posts like yours are extremely helpfull, to say the least. I appreciate the time you took to document this latest project. Lately I have been hashing out in which manner i was going to route my new exhaust (just have a temporary exhaust for the-time-being). I had, for the most part, come to the same conclusion as you did, but wasn't sure if was feasible. I now know that it is.

Thanks again.

By the way, your truck is coming along great!!!
race-n-jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 09:00 PM   #16
XXL
Seņor Member

Re: exhaust

Quote:
Originally posted by riden2low
I just went to your web site and found my answer to a problem that I was trying to solve. I did the same thing as you, bought the new track bar and I bought the C section brackets. Got everything on and put the truck on the ground to make adjustments and found the same thing. The passenger side hits the bar if you happen to hit a good hole in the road. Now to get under there and do the same as you did. Thanks for taking the time to take pictures and sharing this with every one.
I like slammed's solution to the track bar issue, but i solved it another way. I enlarged the notch on the right piece back enough to clear the bar. So the bar still mounts as designed and there's now clearance for when the truck is dropped. BTW, I passed this information on to CPP, and suggested they might make the mod to the notch kit since it would be impacting (pun intended) lots of people as these setups became more common. Their response was somewhere between a snore and a "who cares." That pretty much solidified my future relationship with their company.

And I second the thanks to Slammed67. I reference Jayspot pretty regularly Unfortunately, my idea of documenting my project is to grab the camera when I think about it, take a few snapshots, then forget to post them on my site

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 10:06 PM   #17
riden2low

XXL

Hey, thanks for info on that C section piece. That was my first idea was to take the piece off and enlarge the C section. Either way it will have to be modified. And the same here, I don't think of taking any pictures untill the job is done.

Last edited by riden2low; 10-08-2002 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-08-2002, 10:38 PM   #18
nroden

That is one clean truck.
I know that Muffler Shop you are talking about. I considered going there and if I was ever to get a fancier exhaust setup other than my dual glasspacks with chrome tips I would go there if I was still in this area. I got mine from Ron's Exhaust in Lexington on Main St.
Don't you go onto the main drag (BB) (turn south off of I-70) and its on the east side of the street. Right next to Blue Valley Satellite where we get parts for our C-Band dish. I think the Muffler Shop and the Satellite shop may be owned by the same people. A small office with a woman who wears a rag thing on her head a lot (not muslim)--- cant think of the word of the thing she wears. Real nice people though.
Retired and in the dry... still runs. I now drive Red '01 Ford Focus... better MPG!!!
nroden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 12:00 AM   #19
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

Nick: Yes, that is the place and I highly recommend them. They did a great job and only cost $150 (for 2.5" aluminized pipe) which I thought was very reasonable considering the tight tolerances.

I'm glad you all are benefiting from my experiences. I probably have hundred of pictures of my truck's "HackStoration". I'd just like to save others some of the frustration that I've experienced from time to time. I'm no expert, but I've learmed a lot on this project. I've also learned a lot from members of this board. Thanks! I'll keep the pictures coming!
Old 10-09-2002, 08:11 AM   #20
XXL
Seņor Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Slammed67
I'd just like to save others some of the frustration that I've experienced from time to time.
You know, if you were sincere in that, I'd think you'd be coming over to my house more often to help me on my truck

Kenneth
XXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 10:28 AM   #21
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

It looks like Slammed cut squares in his crossmember for the exhaust and that looks like a much easier way to do it. I am with him on adding pieces to the cut outs. I don't really think you need them. Here is a pick of what I did to mine. I used two 4" pieces of pipe that were cut 1/2 inch thick. After we cut the holes with a sawsall (only took one blade) we welded the pipe in the holes and grinded it down.

I was worried about routing my exhaust around my trans member, but I see Slammed had no troubles. What tranny do you have in your truck Slammed? Is it a 700R4?
Attached Images

1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 10:37 AM   #22
Smooth68

Exhaust system is looking good! Wish it was on there when I was there...I'd like to have heard it fire up.

WTB 64-66 project or frame/cab, SWB or LWB...I have the fever! Whatcha got??

'68 Short Step - Shaved Body, Soon Bagged - SOLD

Driver-2004 GMC Z-71 Ext-cab
Smooth68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 03:50 PM   #23
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

XXL: Hey, you didn't live so far away, I'd be over all the time!

1971Stepside: First of all, your frame looks awesome! Can't wait to see it all back together. Yes, my trans is a 700R4. I cut the square holes jsut because I got lazy and figured nobody would see them anyway.

Oh, I just drove the truck up to the harware store (for the 1052 time!) and as I was pulling out, the rumble of the exhaust set off a car alarm!
Old 10-09-2002, 04:44 PM   #24
Dandeluxe

exhaust is awesome!!!!!!!!!!

slammed, nice job . hows it sound im lookin for a mellow rich sound but not too loud. i know loud pipes save lifes.

1969 cst swb corvette hugger orange with 400 hp sbc

I started out with nothing and i held on to it
Dandeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 06:01 PM   #25
sbrban

so slammed...one day left to thrash on the truck are u ready to relax yet?