The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2007, 05:26 PM   #1
CJ5 Convert

Question Wiring Harness Question - Sorry

Allright folks I know this has been brought up a hundred times. But I didn't find a thread that dealt with just a blazer build. Also I wanted to get the newest info I could. So here it goes.

I am looking to put a replacement (Painless style) wiring harness in my '69 Blazer. The kit I was looking at is a 18 cicuit kit made for a 67-72 Chevy/gmc but it is a universal for all trucks/burbs/blazers. So I was wondering am I just destined to bunch up a bunch of extra wire, or hack a brand new harness, or is there a special kit made just for blazers. Also which brands are the best.

Thanks -Jason
CJ5 Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 05:44 PM   #2
lookingtobuy

Re: Wiring Harness Question - Sorry

Try these guys:

http://www.americanautowire.com/Free_Catalog.html
lookingtobuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
Musclerodz

We are a dealer for American Autowire and they are of the best in the business. They have direct factory oem replacement harnesses and while most the truck ones will interchange, there is a couple that are blazer/jimmy only. They have an update harness coming out but not till late this year. I have sold several sets of harnesses to members both stock and universal. Universal is great for the custom installs and you can't beat there Highway 22 18 circuit kit. All of there stuff is top quality and more complete than any other kits on the market.

Mike
Old 07-09-2007, 06:57 PM   #4
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

"GQ" has one from M&H and you can't tell it apart from stock
except for the fact that it is brand new, it uses factory type
plugs and connectors just like the OE harness & fits perfect.
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:32 PM   #5
lks dcvn

Lightbulb Re: Wiring Harness Question - Sorry

Link to the M&H site - I have also heard nothing but GREAT things about what they put out...

M&H Electric Fabricators, Inc

I already have a growing list of things I would like to do to my Blazer (including rewiring it), but I have a few other home projects that need to get finished first before I tear into the Blazer...

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing...
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:23 PM   #6
RED72blazer
urban fourwheelin

I also have am M & H Harness. Best Quality I've seen! I was very happy. everything was plug and play.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:35 AM   #7
vtblazer

The trucks are all the same up front.
Under dash, head light harness...etc.

From there you find blazer specific stuff like fuel gauge wire, rear light assembly...etc.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:18 PM   #8
CJ5 Convert

Allright hear is where I get confused If I just by one of the 18 circuit kits how many of the specialty wiring stuff like wires to the instruments, heater and stuff like that will I need.

Thanks again for all of the info.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:16 PM   #9
jfortner

I would recommend you do a plan wiring diagram to show everything you plan on wiring. I am currently working on mine and what I am doing is drawing each circuit on a seperate sheet of paper. I locate each connection / switch / device on the sheet where it is going so that I can reference any device and know where the wires go. Then as I add a wire I document it in a wire listing. So I have a listing of wires that go from the Dash - to - Engine; Dash - to - Front End; etc. That way I can quickly reference a sheet to see if I have all the wires from place to place I need. Alot of work but I think it will make installation and future troubleshooting easier in the future.

Summit racing is the harness I am using. If you want a simpler form to start with to determine which wires you will be using download the .pdf on the attached link and use their work sheet. It is helpful but if you start getting a lot of wires like mine it isn't enough. IE power window switches in the center console. Door lock unlock in the center console. Interior ralley lights for maps. Rear heaters, extra driving lights etc just are not included.

Here is the link http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D890020&N=700+308770+115&autoview=sku

I am not sure if the rear wires will be long enough but I can deal with that. And I have not installed it yet, but do like it so far. The price has gone up $40 since I bought it about 8 months ago though.

John
jfortner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:34 PM   #10
Luba

The painless harnesses are nice. They are labeled all along the wire with the name of what it is for, i.e. altenator. They also are color coded and have the new style mini- blade fuses. Are any of the competors harnesses labeled like that.
Luba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:00 AM   #11
CJ5 Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfortner View Post
I would recommend you do a plan wiring diagram to show everything you plan on wiring.
Awesome idea jfortner I guess I never thought about starting with the basics. You know I've never been one of those guys who thought it was a good idea to plan ahead. But this time I'm taking plenty of pics as i go so I can remember where it all goes.

Jfort- check out this link I'm not sure if youve seen it but i found it last night

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=185856

Luba thanks also. I'm like a lost sheep around these trucks.

I guess to clarify do I have to buy a bnch of smaller harnesses to go with this one big replacement harness?

Thanks again -J
Old 07-11-2007, 05:57 AM   #12
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ5 Convert View Post
Allright hear is where I get confused If I just by one of the 18 circuit kits how many of the specialty wiring stuff like wires to the instruments, heater and stuff like that will I need.

To make thing's even easier, forget about Painless and Howell and use a factory replacement harness.

Everything will be new but only the same.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:30 AM   #13
Musclerodz

Quote:

With any of the universal harnesses you will need the end connectors off the original stuff, that won't be included. Of all the universal kits out there, the American Autowire Highway 22 kit is the most complete and even includes ignition, headlight, and dimmer switches.

Mike
Old 07-11-2007, 11:32 AM   #14
Musclerodz

Quote:
Awesome idea jfortner I guess I never thought about starting with the basics. You know I've never been one of those guys who thought it was a good idea to plan ahead. But this time I'm taking plenty of pics as i go so I can remember where it all goes.

Jfort- check out this link I'm not sure if youve seen it but i found it last night

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=185856

Luba thanks also. I'm like a lost sheep around these trucks.

I guess to clarify do I have to buy a bnch of smaller harnesses to go with this one big replacement harness?

Thanks again -J
With the universal harnesses, you don't have to buy any other harnesses but they are incomplete when it comes to anything else tied to them like certian vehicle specific connectors, switches and such.

Mike
Old 07-11-2007, 11:33 AM   #15
Musclerodz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtblazer View Post
To make thing's even easier, forget about Painless and Howell and use a factory replacement harness.

Everything will be new but only the same.
Best way to go if you are going back stock and want to keep the install truely as painless as possible. We just sold a full truck set to a board member due to that very reason, plus ALL the correct connectors are there and new.

Mike

Last edited by Musclerodz; 07-11-2007 at 11:34 AM.
Musclerodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:12 PM   #16
jfortner

If you are sticking with stock the correct harness would be easier. Since I am upgrading / replacing everything I went with the summit one. It has some of the connectors for the steering column and such but you have to get all your own switches. Mine were mostly shot so I bought painless switches for replacements for all the stock stuff. Also since I am adding power windows, FI, electric fuel pump; power doors; aux lights; etc... I went with a harness that had all the connections for that already so I wouldn't be trying to tap into where ever worked and never be able to troubleshoot it later and be overloading fuses..

Currently my truck has three things still wired. Battery to ground and starter; a jumper with clips to go from battery to coil; and a relay connected to the coil to start the electric water pump when the coil has power. Everything else has been ripped out.

Take a close look at the summit manual and it is very clear as to what is included in the wiring harness; although there are a few mistakes in it but most are obvious.

The planning ahead has been alot of work but I hope it makes the installation smooth. Otherwise I know I will just spend all day going "Oh yeah I forgot that one too." and pulling in wire after wire. Because I am doing so much specality wiring it has taken much longer than expected.

As for other wiring I did buy the painless four block fuse block and am going to use that at the battery to fuse power to relays up front for Headlamps; Driving Lamps & Fog Lamps; Water Pump; Flex-a-lite fan. It will be fused then to a relay so that there is not larger wires needed back to the dash and so that I don't get any large voltage drops with 20' of uncessary wire.

I have most all of my reciepts still and can provide part numbers for relays; switches; lights; and the likes if you need any of that. Just let me know what you need.

John

Old 07-14-2007, 01:49 AM   #17
CJ5 Convert

Quote:

I have most all of my reciepts still and can provide part numbers for relays; switches; lights; and the likes if you need any of that. Just let me know what you need.

John
Thanks John. I am swamped with work right now. So let me see if I can figure some of this out and then I'll get back to you I know Ill have a ton of questions. -Jason.

Last edited by CJ5 Convert; 07-14-2007 at 01:49 AM.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:36 PM   #18
CJ5 Convert

Allright jfortner here is what i'm working with it is a freaking rats nest in here. Right now I am leaning towards a total new harness the only bad part is having to patch into all of the old connectors. I am still thinking about a factory replacement but I want to gut this mess and I think redoing all of the factory wires OEM style would cost more. I'm sure not afraid to try a new kit. I just wonder if it is the right thing. Plus I'd get more circuits. This thing had a dealer installed A/C that was bolted under the dash you never know I might wanna hook it back up. But for sure this thing has got to have some extra lights and a decent XM radio.

Name:  100_1587a.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  78.3 KBName:  100_1588a.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  47.4 KB
Name:  100_1590a.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  64.9 KBName:  100_1591a.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  63.5 KB
Old 07-23-2007, 10:43 PM   #19
CJ5 Convert

jfortner or anyone else. What do you think? Heck the stupid harness and fuse block isn't even attached it's just hanging. I say GUT IT!

Name:  100_1508a.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  79.0 KBName:  100_1592a.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  77.1 KB
Name:  100_1593a.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  49.8 KB

Last edited by CJ5 Convert; 07-23-2007 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:55 AM   #20
Luba

I think I am putting a highway 22 kit in my blazer when I re-do it. I have check them out and they are really nice.
Luba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:11 AM   #21
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

On both my 69 and 70 I've used the factory style replacement wiring harnesses that are in the engine bay and they sure are nice. All the connectors are there and everything is exactly where it needs to be. They are a bit pricey and if I remember correctly, the dash harness is real pricey! If it were me, and I don't like screwing with wiring, I would buy the replacement harnesses for the engine bay and get everything hooked back up. So far I haven't found problems with my under dash harnesses - they are protected so seem to fair better than the engine bay harnesses. If everything then works, I would get out the electrical tape and start bundling those loose under dash wires to get them under control.
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:34 AM   #22
jfortner

Post Re: Wiring Harness Question - Sorry

I would sit down and make a chart of your different options:

..........................................Time..........Cost.........Expandability........Final Look..........Future Troubleshooting

Clean up existing wiring............80hr..........$100...........Limited............Messy.................Difficult
Replace with aftermarket...........40hr.........$700..........Unlimited........Super Clean...........Easy if I label everything
Replace with stock...................20hr..........$500...........Limite.........Clean..................Medium
Replace only necessary.............30hr..........$200...........Limited.......... Fair...................Medium
sections

This is roughly what mine was; The super clean look and unlimited expandibilty is what were most important to me. The extra price on that also included new battery cables; new grounding straps; new starter quick disconnect. And I upgraded to a one wire high output alternator.

You need to figure out what is best for you. If you clean up the wiring that is something you can do a section at a time; there are some good diagrams out there that were posted. http://www.mygreatstuff.com/wiring/ is where I downloaded it from. If you rewire it will be out of service for the rewiring time. Maybe that is a factor? If you are only adding a stero and driving lights I don't think expandibility is a need. While it looks like a mess now with some time and paitence you could get it all cleaned up. I can give you a good deal on some used wiring harness parts. I did cut a few wires on mine but most of it came out intact. I am storing my Blazer at my dads ~3 hours from me and only get over every month for a weekend so it may be a bit before I can confim what shape it is in and which parts are worth saving.

Time or money that is always the choice. I am going the built out of bought parts route and it adds up quick. I think I just crossed $20K; I quit tracking offically at $12K. But for $1200 the rig was a steal right?

Not sure how much that helps. Also how you are going to use it may make a difference; I am planning on this being a daily driver and want anything questionable replaced now. So my costs include new switches; aftermarket switches; relays; etc to make this thing as reilable as possible. I didn't want to be replacing a headlight switch in six months; a wiper switch in 12 months; etc so I replaced them all now.

John
Old 07-24-2007, 11:40 AM   #23
jfortner

By the way a fact I probably shouldn't leave out is I use to be an electrican; and am currently an electrical engineer so the wiring doesn't scare me at all. There is nothing really difficult about it, just make sure you use the right parts and do the work right the first time.

John
Old 07-24-2007, 12:05 PM   #24
Musclerodz

That looks pretty bad. Let me know if I can help. You can go with the factory replacement and yes more expensive than a universal, but you get all the correct factory ends and little to no assembly. With the highway 22 kit, or any other kit, you will have to use a lotof you original ends

Mike
Old 07-24-2007, 04:34 PM   #25
CJ5 Convert

Quote:
By the way a fact I probably shouldn't leave out is I use to be an electrican; and am currently an electrical engineer so the wiring doesn't scare me at all. There is nothing really difficult about it, just make sure you use the right parts and do the work right the first time.

John
There's the rub with me. I was an electrician for a long time mostly industrial, commercial and some controls work. I still have a current journeymans license and my dad is a master electrician. This is almost a pride thing, I know i'll do it right if I rewire it. I may screw up some things but that's part of learning.

But, then again I know I don't know a dang thing about these cars and I have never ever messed with these kind of DC systems. Plus I don't know a thing about cars, motors, or auto body work so it is all learn as I go.

One thing I know, is there is a lot I don't know about this stuff so I appreciate everything everone has helped with so far.

Thanks again, John