The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
Mudder

Question Best drill for the money?????

I need a drill. The old dewalt 12 volt is caput. Just doesn't have it anymore. Son-in-law has a craftsman that he really likes and it's a 18 volt. he says I should get the newer one, I think it is 19 something volt.

What do you all have? Good, bad, and I do take price into consideration.
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:04 PM   #2
Tater
Cradle Robber

Re: Best drill for the money?????

I have 2 craftsman 19.2 volt drills,and love them.I think they're 19.2 anyway.I've also had good luck with Black an Decker drills

"Hippies.They're everywhere.They wanna save the earth,but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad."Eric Cartman

"Think about how stupid the average person is,and realize half of them are stupider than that."George Carlin
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:09 PM   #3
leddzepp

I have the 19.2 Craftsman. It works great...until the battery runs out. I have a corded 3/8 drill that I bought from Harbor Freight years ago. It takes a lickin, and keeps on tickin. IIRC it was about $12.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:17 PM   #4
Sub-versive
Boss Hogg

Dewalt 18v.
Batteries are interchangeable with all 18v Dewalt tools, and there are lots of them.
The best price deal is to buy it in a kit, best bang for the buck.
And you don't have to buy into the lithium ion hype(overpriced cr@p)

I have owned a Crapsman 18v drill, it worked OK, but batteries were harder to obtain. Though Ryobi batts would work with it.
I also own Milwaukie cordless tools, and actually prefer the V28 set, but it is more expensive.
Sub-versive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:18 PM   #5
Sillyoldman

I kind of have a drill fetish. I own...

1 makita 9.6
2 dewalt 9.6
1 skil 9.6
3 ryobi 9.6
1 B&D 7.someting
1 12v no name

Someday I'll upgrade to higher volt tools. I have a charging rack for them so they are always fresh.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Last edited by Sillyoldman; 08-13-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:19 PM   #6
Mudder

Great info and keep it coming. Thanks
Old 08-13-2009, 11:24 PM   #7
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

My son has the Makita 24 volts set and If I buy another it will be the 24 volts for sure , It doesn't have to be Makita nessasarily but 24 volt is stronger and last longer .
Plus the hammer/ power drill will put screws in and take them out like you never done before.

Last edited by GOPAPA; 08-13-2009 at 11:26 PM.
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:26 PM   #8
Tater
Cradle Robber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
I need a drill. The old dewalt 12 volt is caput. Just doesn't have it anymore. Son-in-law has a craftsman that he really likes and it's a 18 volt. he says I should get the newer one, I think it is 19 something volt.

What do you all have? Good, bad, and I do take price into consideration.
You should see if there's a Dewalt service center in your area.You might be able to get your drill fixed for cheap

"Hippies.They're everywhere.They wanna save the earth,but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad."Eric Cartman

"Think about how stupid the average person is,and realize half of them are stupider than that."George Carlin
Old 08-13-2009, 11:30 PM   #9
Mudder

it works the batteries are just done. I don't wanna pay the price they want for new ones.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:52 PM   #10
Tater
Cradle Robber

I don't know if the batteries are interchangable,but Black an Decker owns Dewalt.It might be something to look into if you want to save a few bucks on batteries.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:33 AM   #11
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

I've got a Hitachi 18v. I'm happy with it. The lithium batteries are very lightweight, and the ergonomics are great. It's real comfortable to use. I picked it up at Lowes for around $130.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:34 AM   #12
BarryB

I've been using the Ryobi stuff for several years. 18v kits. I have no complaints. The batteries seem to hold up relatively well. I use them daily for home remodeling, and various jobs I do. Plus they have a slew of other tools. Ryobi offers the 18v cordless vacuum. It is great.
and the impast driver is also great.
The price is reasonable also.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:05 AM   #13
vectorit
What?

I stoped buying Craftsman power tools, since I have had bad luck with them just burning out.

I don't buy battery powered tools anymore, since they just don't work for me and I am tired of dead batteries.

Currently have a cordded Dewalt drill, it's the lower end model but it works great for me.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:51 AM   #14
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

my x wife says i was one hell of a drill
she also said "i had one small dull bit"

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:03 AM   #15
cdowns

i've given up the cordlees drills because i just dont use them enough to justify the expence// i've got a heavy duty dewalt3/8 and a few blackndeckers as well as my drill presses plus loads of evtension cords//then i also have 2 airdrills too
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:45 AM   #16
special-K
Special Order

Milwaukee Magnum AC 1/2".For cordless I run Dewalts because they are good enough and are everywhere.You can always grab another battery.The thing with cordless is you might as well buy a new tool when the battery dies,It`s only a little more.Do not buy a tool combo pack.You only get one changer and don`t even get a battery for every tool,as well as no individual case.I see these suitcases that hold a combo that can`t fit in a tool box screamin`for a trip to the hock shop.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:45 AM   #17
WorkinLonghorn

The Ryobi 12V at Home Depot is $39.95 and comes with an extra battery. I screwed a 40 foot fence together with mine without a re-charge.
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:07 AM   #18
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

For the money, it is really hard to beat Makita Lithium Ion drills and drivers.
I work in a commercial cabinet shop and use mine constantly. I'm a bit like SOM, I have several.
For the average guy, the "white" (lower amperage) 18volt units are great. They have the same motors, body castings, and chargers an the higher end models. They just have a smaller battery. It has the same amount of power, they just don't last run as long as the bigger ones. They last plenty long though, plus the charger only takes 15 minutes to get them going again.

As a side note, you can usually get the drill and impact driver as a set for around $200, sometimes less. If you are driving screws, not just drilling, an impact driver is a life saver. They work like a miniature version of an "impact gun" for removing bolts/nuts, not pounding like a hammer drill. They not only drive screws with less torque feed-back to your hand, they do it with far less battery drain than driving screws with a drill.

I drive hundreds of screws in a day's time and these are the ones I use. They are lightweight, tough, powerful, and stand up to a commercial environment...even though they are not designed for that.

I have had the older (higher amp version) in the complete kit form, since they were first introduced nearly 5 years ago. The original batteries are still going strong. In the last year or so, I have added the lower amp drill and driver pair to the collection. As I said before they are great.

SOM, I have you beat in the addiction though
Makita 18v blue Hammerdrill
Makita 18v blue impact
Makita 18v white drill
Makita 18v white impact
Bosch pocket driver 12v
Bosch Impactor 12v
Bosch drill 12v
Bosch I-driver

With the exception of the I driver and the hammerdrill, I use them all every day. Each has a specific bit and therefore function, but that is more than over-board for the average guy.

Sorry, kinda long, but I hope it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:17 AM   #19
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

My Dewalt 12V XRP does fine. I use it for work, not just around the house. For the work i do, I don't see the need for an 18V. while it's not my line of work, I've had no trouble driving large deck screws. I will say several of the guys I work with have the Hitachi 18V and they are much lighter than my Dewalt.
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:29 AM   #20
shifty
Questionable

i finally bought myself a nice Dewalt corded drill recently and ditched the Craftsman that my dad handed down to me 20yrs ago when I hit my teen years.

In the cordless realm, I've used and owned a ton of different ones - B&D, Ryobi, Makita - I've gone through three Ryobis at this point. I've used a lot of other people's tools, including Hitachi, Rigid and Milwaukee (never a Dewalt cordless, except my impact hammer, which i love). By far, the best I ever touched was a Bosch unit. Recently, I helped a neighbor run some hose up the side of his house to his back deck and he had one of those Bosch I-drivers.... man, that thing was friggin sweet. I hate to know what he paid for it though.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:58 AM   #21
my67chevytruck
Under Construction

I have a 18 v milwaukee li-ion and love it....

subscribe to the board here: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=157669
FAQ how to's

1956 Chevy Apache
1967 C10 SWB FleetSide (under construction)
1969 K10 SWB FleetSide (Future Build)
1972 C10 SWB Stepside (Future Build)

56 chevy truck :
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2955823/1

67 truck build:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=281357/1

69 k10:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=389470
my67chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:00 AM   #22
big_al_71

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
My son has the Makita 24 volts set and If I buy another it will be the 24 volts for sure , It doesn't have to be Makita nessasarily but 24 volt is stronger and last longer .
Plus the hammer/ power drill will put screws in and take them out like you never done before.

+1 on Makita products!!!!!

Also great luck with Dewalt ....

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:22 AM   #23
robin58

Makita's are awesome. I have one that's 20+ years old and still performs great.

As for the DeWalt 12V battery being "dead", a DW Rep told me years ago that in many cases you can get away with putting a bigger battery in.

Top of the line would probably be something like a Bosch 36V but that's high $$$ (close to 6 bills).

I'm old fashioned though, I much prefer corded drills over cordless.
robin58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:19 AM   #24
GOPAPA
"Tail Gate Best Seat In House"

One more thing is that I experince with my dewalt is that the battery is hard to get off some times as it wont release.. Being a retired construcution worker that worked with many guys on many different jobs and types of jobs I can tell you that many of the workers stated this same problem,, Just a bunch of guys opinions but it is a bunch of guys and not jsut me ..
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:11 PM   #25
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Mrs Stocker bought me a 14.4V Milwaukee VSR some years ago, no doubt out-of-date but it's still a very good drill. Came with 2 batteries (& a quick charger) so there's always a fresh one.... power is good and it has a hammer-drill setting too. And you can set it down without it tipping over....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote