The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2010, 02:17 AM   #1
wilberweb

Patch panel or filler

Hi, I am a novice body man. lack of finances mostly so I am doing my own body work with patch panels,welding the works. I don't have much experience in Body work.
my question is on a floor pan or any area that has miner rust, just a small area with a small amount of rust. Is it better to replace the area with a patch of steel, or just fill in the holes with body filler or weld up the small holes with weld filler? or a combination of both. here is a picture of what I am talking about
Thanks

-Larry

wilberweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:31 AM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Patch panel or filler

Rust never stops eating the metal no matter what you cover it with. If you replace the panel or patches it will last usually as long as you own the truck, But if you let is stay and just fill it or spot it the it will creep back fairly quickly. Replace just what needs replacing. I don't replace a full panel unless its all shot or is quicker, but usually its not. Steps are the exception. If a portion of step is rotted replace the whole step.

try to get this dvd it will help you in making most of the small patches and panels you need rather than buy them
http://metalshapingzone.com/shop/cat...hD&shop_param=

Its 2.5 hrs long and packed with good info on how to make panels with hand tools. It is pricey but well worth the investment.

Last edited by dwcsr; 11-10-2010 at 02:32 AM.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:10 AM   #3
wilberweb

Thanks, Dave
I looked at the promo on youtube, incredible work just with hand tools amazing...you are right about the price a lot of money. It seems like a thorough DVD, so well worth the cost. on the same note about rust eating the rest of the metal what about ospho I here it stops rust. Will it work for this application? I am going to replace the metal but was just curious.

Thanks
-Larry
Old 11-10-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilberweb View Post
Thanks, Dave
I looked at the promo on youtube, incredible work just with hand tools amazing...you are right about the price a lot of money. It seems like a thorough DVD, so well worth the cost. on the same note about rust eating the rest of the metal what about ospho I here it stops rust. Will it work for this application? I am going to replace the metal but was just curious.

Thanks
-Larry
Ospho is good for panel prep to prevent flash over before painting but its not a rust inhibitor. Rust under a microscope looks like the roots on a tree and it eats at the iron in the metal just like miners going after a vain of gold. So the best way is to cut it out. The other way to stop rust is to sufficate it with a rust encapsilator but they get mixed results depending on the exposure to elements. POR 15 works that way buit I have never used it. POR stands for Paint Over Rust
Old 11-10-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
52 Rat

I would clean or sand blast the area and weld in the small holes. POR works great!
Old 11-10-2010, 03:13 PM   #6
MrDude_1

i have a similar question.
if one were to blast an area like above, removing all rust, then weld up holes.. would it be ok?

im not worried about the pitting effect as it will be covered by carpet... but i dont want rust coming back.
MrDude_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #7
52 Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDude_1 View Post
i have a similar question.
if one were to blast an area like above, removing all rust, then weld up holes.. would it be ok?

im not worried about the pitting effect as it will be covered by carpet... but i dont want rust coming back.
Yes, that is what I mentioned in the above post.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:48 PM   #8
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
http://metalshapingzone.com/shop/cat...hD&shop_param=

Its 2.5 hrs long and packed with good info on how to make panels with hand tools. It is pricey but well worth the investment.
Thanks for the link! I may get the DVD... It'll at least motivate me to reconnect the DVD player that got unhooked a few years ago when the TV died.

Funny that they just call the English wheel a wheel

To the OP, you'll probably find that alot more holes appear after blasting and its no fun trying to fill alot of holes. Those holes tend to get blown out when you weld. Use a copper backing plate.

Ouch! $62.76 I think and guess the exchange rate is not going to get better soon...

Last edited by 72lb4x4; 11-10-2010 at 04:58 PM.
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #9
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72lb4x4 View Post
Thanks for the link! I may get the DVD... It'll at least motivate me to reconnect the DVD player that got unhooked a few years ago when the TV died.

Funny that they just call the English wheel a wheel

To the OP, you'll probably find that alot more holes appear after blasting and its no fun trying to fill alot of holes. Those holes tend to get blown out when you weld. Use a copper backing plate.

Ouch! $62.76 I think and guess the exchange rate is not going to get better soon...
Its worth the $62 when you see what you can do with simple hand tools.

Last edited by dwcsr; 11-10-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #10
wilberweb

Great information
I am going to get that DVD... $62 Dollars is worth all the valuable information you get, I'm' thinking about acid dipping the body,finders,and hood.All of the body parts and sand blast the frame only.
I have some information on POR 15 A friend gave me. He said it works great.The best approach is to replace the metal. I would not want to spend all that time and work sanding dipping and have the rust come back. Especially when its all painted. It would not be fun or financially worth that kind of risk...well worth the effort to replace the metal.

-Larry
Old 11-11-2010, 07:18 PM   #11
OKGMC4

I usually go with this outlook...if the metal is pitted but solid and no holes I sand it, treat it, and seal it. By solid I mean you can poke it with a screwdriver and it doesn't cause another hole. If there are holes and it is weak I patch it. POR is awesome but expensive. Many times I have used an acid based rust treatment that leaves a black film and scuffed it and used an epoxy primer to seal it up and choke the oxygen from it. I used Rust Mort on a pair of bare Chevelle doors that have sit outside for 3 years now with no other primers and no new rust has popped up, so I think with a coat of epoxy primer, urethane primer, primer sealer, and a coat each of base and clear there shouldn't be much chance of oxidation!

69 long bed Chevy turned 67 gmc jimmy roadster:
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851167
OKGMC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #12
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
Its worth the $62 when you see what you can do with simple hand tools.
Oh, I ordered it...
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:04 PM   #13
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72lb4x4 View Post
Oh, I ordered it...
Mine took about 10 days which isn't to bad coming from the UK.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #14
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

I have that DVD also and man I thought I knew something before I got it. When I got it I realized I didn't know anything.lol That is a great DVD

Last edited by Kabwe; 11-11-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:30 PM   #15
wilberweb

Great looking project okgmc4...
Looks like you have a project like mine some trouble rust spot
but for the most part its workable. I have often wondered is there ever a project that has to much rust or is it a mater of just replacing parts and going for it no mater how much rust a truck or car has. http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/d...yphotos236.jpg