The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2006, 08:19 AM   #1
Clos'84TX
Foom, foom, foom!

Subs

Has anyone everheard or seen a Sub box fitted under the bench seat of our trucks?

I'm really thinking about getting one made or checking how it can be done. My Subs behind the seat are driving me nuts..I need my space.
long Headers//3.73 rearend gears

Future Mods

3/4 suspension drop
Clos'84TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:15 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Subs

There is very little room under the seat to build a box. I have looked at this option, but it would require one of the new "low profile" subs to make it work.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 10:31 AM   #3
Jim85IROC

Finding the right sub is the key. I had a pair of JL 10W0s that I planned to put into my truck until I pulled them out of the box and discovered just how deep they are, thanks to the extended pole piece. If you can find a sub with a different voice coil geometry (such as underhung or XBL^2), you'll have better luck finding a sub that's got less depth.

For example, my Adire Koda is almost a full inch shallower than that JL sub, dispite having much greater excursion capabilities.

Finding a relatively shallow 10" sub should give you more than enough room to build an enclosure with the proper airspace and still be able to move the seat all the way back. Building a fiberglass box that can get right up against the cab will give you additional space as well.

Another option, and one that I hope to upgrade to someday, is to replace the bench seat with buckets, and build a custom console to hold a sub or two.
My Sounddomain Page
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:12 AM   #4
bodydropped

ye u can do a box under the seat but the best subs to use are the shallow depth subs from pionner fosgate came out with some but they made them in dvc instead of svc and there havin over heating problems
bodydropped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:43 PM   #5
magnethead
7000 #'s of american IRON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
Finding the right sub is the key. I had a pair of JL 10W0s that I planned to put into my truck until I pulled them out of the box and discovered just how deep they are, thanks to the extended pole piece. If you can find a sub with a different voice coil geometry (such as underhung or XBL^2), you'll have better luck finding a sub that's got less depth.

For example, my Adire Koda is almost a full inch shallower than that JL sub, dispite having much greater excursion capabilities.

Finding a relatively shallow 10" sub should give you more than enough room to build an enclosure with the proper airspace and still be able to move the seat all the way back. Building a fiberglass box that can get right up against the cab will give you additional space as well.

Another option, and one that I hope to upgrade to someday, is to replace the bench seat with buckets, and build a custom console to hold a sub or two.
How do you like your Koda?

I have a shiva getting 300 watts in my room (floor loaded), and I really like it....

As for the subject at heand, like the others said, if you can find a small sub, you can make it work.

Last edited by magnethead; 06-28-2006 at 03:44 PM.
magnethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:19 AM   #6
Jim85IROC

Right now I'm very happy with the sound quality, but I really haven't had a chance to see what it's got for output. I'm using wire that's WAY too small for my amp, so I'm choking the hell out of it and causing it to clip at low power levels. Replacing the 10AWG with the 4 AWG that the amp needs has been on my "to do" list for months, but with buying a house and all, I just don't have time.

Getting back to the sound quality, I've found that the sub is very clean with good impact, good dynamics, and has good low frequency extention. It's not the best sub that money can buy, but I think it's about the best sub that $200 can buy if you're after a good SQL sub with an emphasis on SQ.
My Sounddomain Page

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 06-29-2006 at 09:21 AM.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote