The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2014, 11:15 PM   #1
gag1025

Rear Bumper Apron

I seem to run into all sorts of problems when I use after market parts. The problem is that very few of them fit as they shouldand we end up modifying them. I installed a rear bumper splash apron which we found out has a manufactured defect. We did not realize this until it was painted and installed. We checked out one my friend bought and it has the same defect. The defect is one outside roll is welded crooked (factory weld defect) which makes it impossible to mount so that it is equal on both sides. We had to modify it to make it look like it belonged. Have any of you had this experience. When I finish the install I will send photos showing you exactly what I am talking about.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:25 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Rear Bumper Apron

Not on that but rule #1 on aftermarket body parts seems to be check them for fit before you do anything to them. It's just a battle we fight but at least the parts are available even if we have to fix them to use them. Most of us don't have access to the equipment we need to make our own pieces like that and a lot don't have the skills.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:07 AM   #3
Daze57

just a thought
if the companies we buy our parts from, cared about their quality and fit and finish as much or as fast as they take our money - maybe we wouldnt have these probs !

just my $02 cents worth
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:44 AM   #4
gag1025

I normally do pre-fit all the parts but I bought this after the truck was totally apart with the body parts at the body shop having the body work done and painted so this was not an option. The problem is that all these aftermarket parts are made in other countries where there is very little quality control. I also found this to be true with the Vintage Air system with the defrost vent (another blog I put on here) not fitting as it should. More to come on that issue as well on how we solved another VA problem with the under dash hoses. So, going back to the manufacturer in many cases to advise them that their parts do not fit is not an option because they are outside the USA. As with all the other parts we were able to make it work, but it is not as perfect as I wanted it to be. You will see what I am saying as soon as I attach photos.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #5
OrrieG

I think a lot of the problems are the repop guys make their dies from an old part that may be from late in the original production run after the original GM dies have worn out. Even stock parts from different years have fitment issues, the manf tolerance on these trucks were not that great to start with.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
gag1025

Good point OrrieG. I agree with you on stock replacement parts.However, the rear bumper splash apron was never a stock part from what I can recall. If it was we did not have one on our old truck. Actually we did not have a front one either. I do know that the heater and radio and oil filter were options. We did have those.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:06 PM   #7
OrrieG

Mine came with a front splash guard between the bumper the lower grille surround, always assumed all trucks had them.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:11 PM   #8
gag1025

Are you saying you bought a new one in 1947-1953 with the front splash guard or you bought one years later (30 years plus) and it had the splash guard on it at that point in time. My step dad bought one new and the one we had did not have on on it so I just assumed that this was an addition many years later and was devised (both front and back) for us nostalgia guys.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:47 AM   #9
OrrieG

No,1959, was not paying attention to the year.
Old 03-06-2014, 01:25 AM   #10
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag1025 View Post
Are you saying you bought a new one in 1947-1953 with the front splash guard or you bought one years later (30 years plus) and it had the splash guard on it at that point in time. My step dad bought one new and the one we had did not have on on it so I just assumed that this was an addition many years later and was devised (both front and back) for us nostalgia guys.
My 48 came with one and every truck I have brought home with a front bumper on it in the past 35 years that I have teen dragging them home one at a time has had one or what was left of one but it may have been an option later or a dealer delete item to drop a couple of bucks off the sales price. Since the early 50's at least dealers have sold stripped vehicles as lost leaders or price leaders. A lot of those basically didn't have any options on them and then only ones that they needed to be legal in the state they were sold in or to function in the weather in that region.

I'm going to dig out a front apron and put it back on and then am seriously considering getting a rear apron as my truck is going to be a full custom and that would be a finishing touch that fits in with the master plan.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:29 AM   #11
gag1025

Make sure you mock the rear one up which is what I wish I had had the opportunity to do. We could have cut it and straightened the bad place out and re-welded it like it should have been in the beginning.

When we attached it the right (passenger side) was flush with the rear bed bottom but the left (driver side) stuck out 1/2". We also noticed that the inside of the curved part on the right was 1" outside the brace while the left one was resting 1/8" on top of the brace on that side. We resolved the issue by cutting 1/2" off the driver side curve. Now this curved piece is not as wide as the other but the both look the same in reference to the braces. Plus it allowed us to be able to make the gap all the way across the same. We also discovered that the driver side brace was off 1/2" when compared to the other side brace. Bending this brace solved that problem. Like I said, I will send photos which will make all of this make better sense.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #12
mr48chev

Will do on the mock up. I'll remember your trials and tribulations in the process.

I've found that even when swapping used oem parts that not everything fits the same. It may be that the panels were stamped or assembled in a different plant or That they had been tweaked a bit over the years.