The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2014, 08:24 PM   #1
jmabx

My long lost 65

Hi everyone! I'm new here and after checking everything out, it seems I've landed in the right place. An abundance of knowledge here and I'm going to need a lot of it!

Well, here's my little story. My dad bought me an old 65 Chevy C10 when I was 17 and it got driven into the ground my junior year in high school. The truck didn't cut it as a chick magnet for a 17 year old so I bought a Camaro, parked the truck and never looked back. I moved out of my parents at 18 and moved from Arkansas to Rhode Island at 20. Never thought about the truck again.

A couple of years ago I was talking to my brother in AR and he says; "Hey, you remember that old white truck you used to have?" "Yup" says me. "That old thing has been sitting in my yard for years." he says. "Cool" I said and forgot all about it.

A couple of months ago, a regular customer pulls into work in an old 65 C10 that he just bought. I took a walk outside to check it out and after a few minutes I had the itch. With ants in my pants, I rang up my brother. He still had the truck. After a little instigating from my co-workers and a lot of hard earned cash, the old truck showed up at my house after a 1500 mile journey on a trailer. Reunited after 22 years.

She's in pretty sad shape now. Apparently it had been stored here and there for a few years before my brother got it and it was used for parts. stripped of engine and tranny and a few odds and ends. Here's how she showed up at my house.

Front clip was in the bed and managed to get it hung back on after a few hours.

And a good bath didn't make me feel any better!

So, I have an engine and tranny lined up and looks like I'm going to need a new grille and header panel and many other parts. Right now, I want to concentrate on the floors. I had to clean the rodent mess out of the cab with a shovel, so needless to say, there's some rot inside. As you all know, patch panels are available but I'm having trouble figuring out what to do with one spot and hopefully someone can help.

This is where the gas pedal mounts to the floor. I can't tell if this area is included in the large floor repair panel or if this is something I will have to make. I'm assuming that there are nuts welded underneath for the pedal studs but they are gone too. I would appreciate any help with what to do in this area.

Thanks for looking in!
jmabx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
Mathew21

Re: My long lost 65

Cool story. Sorry I'm no help on your question. But I'm glad you're going to save her.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
Micmac

That is an awesome story, not a welder so can't help you. I love Arkansas, I go to Branson every year and ride the bike down through Blue Eye down to Eureka Springs. I'll keep an eye out for you down this way for stuff.
1947 Indian Chief Roadmaster with Sidecar.
2012 Indian Chief Serial #002 of 110 built in '12
2016 Indian Chief Roadmaster
Micmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:29 PM   #4
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Real cool story.
Check out my story.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 09:50 PM   #5
Leverhead

Congrats you still have the truck. Are you looking to go stock with the pedal? If not, you could patch with sheetmetal and get an aftermarket firewall or floor mount pedal...firewall mount will give you a little extra legroom. Also, maybe you can find a donor truck for all the parts you are missing....would make things a lot easier to piece together.
Just a thought.....

Attached is a pic of the captured nuts under the truck for the pedal bolts in my '64. Don't know about the patch panels but I would give the aftermarket companies a call and ask. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Last edited by Leverhead; 10-21-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Leverhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:09 PM   #6
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

looks like the part you need is part of the low hump transmission cover, which is welded in in your year truck, the floor patch will not cover that hole.
with what I see I suggest cutting out the rusty area, make a paper pattern, and cut a piece of sheet metal and weld it back up.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:41 PM   #7
rickywideglide

my story very similiar had a 66 in high school,traded up for a newer camaro then the chicks started noticing me,sold the 66 havent seen it since.its pretty cool that you got your old truck back
rickywideglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:27 AM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welcome to the forum

You're going to either have to make a piece as Jon suggested, or if you're lucky, find a donor cab to cut a patch piece out of. You might check the '60-'66 classifieds here on the forum to see if someone might have that piece in a cab their parting out.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #9
Improbcat

Another RI truck owner!

If you aren't in a hurry, I will be swapping cabs either this winter or next spring, and that section is still good in my old cab. Once I get them swapped you can have that section of the floor.

I also have a grille panel, it needs some work to the braces on the back, but if it is better than what you have you are welcome to it.

SOLD 1964 C/10 Shortbed Fleetside, Deluxe. (pictures) SOLD
Improbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 09:04 AM   #10
Mikes66ChevyC10

Welcome to the forum! Can't wait to see your truck come back to life!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=617778
Mikes66ChevyC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #11
jmabx

Thanks for the welcome and all the help! I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions in the future. I'll be sure to keep my eye on the classifieds for spares.

It's pretty cool that I'm not the only one with a similar story. A lot of great looking trucks and projects here.

Improcat - I'll definitely take you up on your offer. Would be cool to check out your truck in person one day. I'll send you a PM in a few.

I know this will be a long row to hoe as time and finances always dictate but I hope to get work done as often as I can. My ultimate goal is to get her back to mostly stock. Definitely a brake upgrade and a little lowering for good looks. I'm really diggin' the original white over blue two tone hiding under that brush painted white.

Thanks again everyone!
jmabx is offline   Reply With Quote