The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-15-2022, 04:46 PM   #1
WTX-65LWB

Craftec Bed Cover Install

I am planning a road trip in my 1965 C10 long bed this summer. As a result, I wanted to have some form of bed cover to protect tools, luggage, etc. from the weather while on the road. During my research, I ran across Craftec Covers; they have a specific application for 60-66 C10 pickups in either short or long bed. The cover consists of an aluminum frame onto which a vinyl cover is installed. My cover arrived at the house this week so I thought I would share the install and my thoughts on the product. I have no affiliation with Craftec.

The cover came packaged nicely from Craftec and was received without damage. All hardware was present in the box along with a good set of instructions. Assembly and install took about two hours working by myself. Two people would have made it go quicker but is certainly not required. The most difficult part of the assembly is getting the vinyl stretched over the frame but went well once I figured out the proper technique. No special tools are required.

The cover weighs about 45lbs so doesn’t really impact the truck at all from a weight perspective. It is actuated with two gas lift arms which allow for access to the majority of the bed when open. It is retained in the closed position by two latches. The front hinge point and lift arms are designed to make the cover readily removable to allow full use of the bed if needed. I have driven the truck at highway speeds on a windy Texas Panhandle day (30mph) and do not see any movement or flapping. Overall, I think the cover will be a nice addition to the truck!
Attached Images

WTX-65LWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 04:56 PM   #2
cwcarpenter98

Re: Craftec Bed Cover Install

Thanks for sharing! Did you have to drill any holes in the bedsides, or is it just a clamp? Also, please update when you go through a rain storm. I'm interested to see how well it keeps water out from the top side

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 05:04 PM   #3
WTX-65LWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 View Post
Thanks for sharing! Did you have to drill any holes in the bedsides, or is it just a clamp? Also, please update when you go through a rain storm. I'm interested to see how well it keeps water out from the top side
Certainly!

No drilling was required; All of the brackets are bolt on. The front rail next to the cab also uses an adhesive strip.

I suspect it will leak a little especially up around the front corners in a heavy rain. I am hoping it will keep the majority of the moisture out.
WTX-65LWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 06:19 PM   #4
The Rocknrod

Was on the Craftec website earlier and watched the build install video. They are located here in Texas also.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 08:28 PM   #5
AcampoDave

That's nice. Might even improve your hwy MPG due to the streamline effect.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 10:16 PM   #6
cwcarpenter98

The key thing though is keeping the majority of the rain out and keeping peeping eyes from stopping on your stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if water finds its way in through the various parts of the wood floor. I do like that no drilling is required

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, Muncie 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350 --> Soon to be 350, Saginaw 4 speed

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote