The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
getbent

mac vs snap-on

Im looking for a new ratchet 3/8 x 10ish in long not a flex head who makes the best!
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:44 PM   #2
crushermechanic

Re: mac vs snap-on

i have both. the mac has less teeth but it is very strong. i have only had to put 1 head kit in it in 4 years. i have had 2 in the snap on one in the same time but it is the very fine tooth. i also put pipes on them regularly. i can be hard on tools in my line of work.
crushermechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:49 PM   #3
getbent

so does the snap on beat out the mac?
Old 12-06-2010, 11:56 PM   #4
crushermechanic

depends on what you use it for. the mac is stronger and i use it more. i work on heavy equipment where everything is big and tight. i break sockets all the time. gotta love the lifetime warranty.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:00 AM   #5
cableguy0

I dont know about in your area but around here Mac tool guys are as rare as hens teeth. Snap on is everywhere and always easy to find. My dad had some old Mac stuff and everyone I talked to used to prefer the mac stuff but over the years quality dropped from what I understand. I cant say first hand just what I have been told. I prefer snap on ratchets. The cushion grip is great and the fine teeth are awesome in tight spaces but as stated they are easier to break if your putting poles on them etc. If you need a heavy ratchet get a 1/2 inch. If just regular use just about any 3/8's on the truck will do good for ya.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:05 AM   #6
10.5stang

The same thing here in the Okc metro area. You never see the Mac tool guy but can always find the Snap On guy. I have some Mac stuff and have never had a problem with their tools. Most of my tools are Snap On and I will keep buying them. Just my .02 worth.
Posted via Mobile Device
10.5stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:07 AM   #7
crushermechanic

yea i dont have a mac dealer in my area. i have to catch one when i am out working. i buy mostly snap on now.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:28 AM   #8
Maxxd07

Snap on by far. They redesigned their ratchets a few years ago and unlike previous models these hold up FAR better than their previous models. And they have 80 teeth on the gear wich makes them really handy in tight spots. By far one of the best Snap on investments I have made.
Couple 70s
One 68
Maxxd07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:33 AM   #9
cdowns

i've found snapon stuff nice but pretty much impossible to get warrenty replacement as a private hobbiest the trucks dont want to know you and do everything possible to avoid helping you// sears in and out with a new tool in less than 10minutes
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:13 PM   #10
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushermechanic View Post
depends on what you use it for. the mac is stronger and i use it more. i work on heavy equipment where everything is big and tight. i break sockets all the time. gotta love the lifetime warranty.
I agree...I have both, and I tend to use my Mac ratchets when working on my bottom end or HD projects and use my Snap-On ratchets for the rest. Either will be great for you.
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #11
clinebarger

I like both, but like stated already MAC dealers are hard to find. When Stanley took them over they went down hill.
heres a link if it helps http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

Last edited by clinebarger; 12-07-2010 at 02:11 PM.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:07 PM   #12
thepenguin99

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
i've found snapon stuff nice but pretty much impossible to get warrenty replacement as a private hobbiest the trucks dont want to know you and do everything possible to avoid helping you// sears in and out with a new tool in less than 10minutes
Unfortunately craftsman just doesn't make a good ratchet anymore. I have some older craftsman ratchets that work well but anything made in the last 10 or so years just sucks imo. It is really a shame what sears is doing to the craftsman name. As far as the mac vs snap-on I really don't have much input since my only snap-on ratchets are older versions that don't have very fine teeth. I would not spend money on one of those at all. My favorite all around ratchet in my box is an old williams but that doesn't really help you pick a new ratchet.

Last edited by thepenguin99; 12-07-2010 at 07:09 PM.
thepenguin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #13
brans72

What about Matco?
brans72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:54 PM   #14
cableguy0

Broken too many matcos. I just flat out dont like them. We have a matco guy at work but again around here they are few and far between and the last few were a pain in the ass to get anything replaced. I prefer the snap ons. On a side note the black husky ratchets from home depot are pretty nice. A buddy has a set and hasnt ever had an issue. I have used them myself and never had the urge to throw them across the shop like I do when using craftsman
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:23 AM   #15
thepenguin99

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Broken too many matcos. I just flat out dont like them. We have a matco guy at work but again around here they are few and far between and the last few were a pain in the ass to get anything replaced. I prefer the snap ons. On a side note the black husky ratchets from home depot are pretty nice. A buddy has a set and hasnt ever had an issue. I have used them myself and never had the urge to throw them across the shop like I do when using craftsman
/agree on the husky black ratchets being pretty good.
thepenguin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:45 AM   #16
cdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepenguin99 View Post
Unfortunately craftsman just doesn't make a good ratchet anymore. I have some older craftsman ratchets that work well but anything made in the last 10 or so years just sucks imo. It is really a shame what sears is doing to the craftsman name. As far as the mac vs snap-on I really don't have much input since my only snap-on ratchets are older versions that don't have very fine teeth. I would not spend money on one of those at all. My favorite all around ratchet in my box is an old williams but that doesn't really help you pick a new ratchet.

i just cant see where having a busted non returnable snap on rachet is going to help me comptete a job
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY

Last edited by cdowns; 12-08-2010 at 05:21 AM.
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:31 AM   #17
Shane
Account Suspended

Sears is also sourcing a LOT of the new Craftsman line from China. Yes, China. Be very careful when buying new Craftsman tools and make sure you look at where it's made. It is required by law that the Country of Origin (CoO) is printed somewhere on the packaging.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #18
65Gregg

I may jinx myself but both my SnapOn and Craftsman 3/8 ratchets are over 25 yrs old and they haven't broken yet. If i know a fastener has a lot of torque or is really rusty I will generally will opt for the 1/2 drive. I don't use mine for a living like a lot of the members do so my stuff doesn't get beat on every day. I like them both, just my opinion.

Blue long bed
White TBSS
61 Impala
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” Mark Twain
65Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #19
truckdude239

snap-on all the way seeing they the only deal that wills top by my work. i have one of there 86 tooth rackets that i shattered the head on by standing on it while i tryed to break a bolt and he just replaced the whole thing

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #20
getbent

well I made my decision and went with the snap-on got the 80tooth long handle soft grip in 3/8
and went ahead and sprung for the 1/4 standard length sof handle 72 tooth
fortunately here in my hometown I have both snap-on and mac dealers, went with the snap-on!
Old 12-11-2010, 12:32 PM   #21
stich626
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Sears is also sourcing a LOT of the new Craftsman line from China. Yes, China. Be very careful when buying new Craftsman tools and make sure you look at where it's made. It is required by law that the Country of Origin (CoO) is printed somewhere on the packaging.
thats why there is two lines, the one to be at the same price point as target/lowes/wallyworld, and the pro stuff, made for the worker..

by the good stuff and you'll not have to worry,
I like snap on ratchets and 12 point sockets,,
tooth count is everything when you don't have much room to work with..
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:02 PM   #22
jitteryguy
GoatLube Experss

the best thing is to know the limit's of the tool, if there is room get a bigger ratchet if the bolt is very tight. all the tool companys are go'n down hill, so ya gotta really watch what your buy'n. fine tooth ratchets are great for tight spots but are very weak regardless of who made it.
the Snan-on tools I have here are very disapoint'n ! the ratchet's that came in the socket set's are trash, I had my Girlfreind send me Craftsman ratchet's to replace the Snap-on's.
tool trucks charge a lot for the conveinence of come'n to you, if the dealer dont give ya good service it not much of an investment !
work'n on heavy equipment like Crusherman is a whole nother ball game, tools are gonna get broke to fix the machine. work'n on cars and truck's Craftsman is your best investment .
'92 S10 350/350
'84 MonteCarlo 383/PG/9"ford
'78 Malibu wagon 350/350
'78 Cutlass (project family car)
'96 S10 Jimmy (Moma's)
jitteryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:36 PM   #23
EVBuilder

I have been turning wrenches for over twenty years. I have Snap On and S-K ratchets. I have broken two Snap On's in that time and slipped the teeth in an S-k once (a quick smack on the floor fixed it). I have noticed that if you don't owe the Snap On guy money every week he wont give you the time of day. I have had this experience with several dealers. I was told that when that happens to call corporate and he will become a nice guy and warranty all your broken tools. My problem now is that I have made all the big investments years ago and the dealers can't make any money off me so they wont even stop at my shop any more. I have to go chase them down. I have been waiting for a broken lock for my Matco tool box for a year now and no sign of the dealer. If I called and told him I wanted to trade up he would be here the next day. Not to say that all dealers are like this but I would say more than most.
EVBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:17 PM   #24
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitteryguy View Post
the best thing is to know the limit's of the tool, if there is room get a bigger ratchet if the bolt is very tight. all the tool companys are go'n down hill, so ya gotta really watch what your buy'n. fine tooth ratchets are great for tight spots but are very weak regardless of who made it.
the Snan-on tools I have here are very disapoint'n ! the ratchet's that came in the socket set's are trash, I had my Girlfreind send me Craftsman ratchet's to replace the Snap-on's.
tool trucks charge a lot for the conveinence of come'n to you, if the dealer dont give ya good service it not much of an investment !
work'n on heavy equipment like Crusherman is a whole nother ball game, tools are gonna get broke to fix the machine. work'n on cars and truck's Craftsman is your best investment .
I can't see where Snap-on is going down in quality in any area besides service in my area. The route I'm on can't keep a snap-on guy for longer than 1.5yrs.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:21 PM   #25
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Ok, for ratchets I'd say Snap-on all the way. I have some macs but I like the snapens better. Craftsman in my eyes are junk, pro line or not. I have some craftsman tools in my boxes at my shop at home and these are what other people are supposed to be using. I haven't had a Mac guy in 6yrs and I've only ever had one good Mac guy. It seems this must be a credential to be a Mac tool guy, IDK. I do agree any tool truck quits coming around when you quit spending money with them. My Matco has that attitude and it does bother me. But, it'll be a while before he has to quit collecting money from me.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote